Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Hallsy Take 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
1.) It's more likely Hall would want to come here than Pietrangelo.

2.) The Oilers defensive pipeline long term looks a lot better than their forward pipeline.

Of course we'll have some bad stretches, but I like our D structure moreso overall. A lot of what teams are getting is from the perimeter.
I haven't seen Tippet pull off anything different than McLellan did. The only difference in that McDavid/Draisaitl have started the season with a 2+ ppg avg and the goaltenders haven't been demoralized yet because of being peppered for 45 minutes a game.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
If you can get him for cheap you grab him and hope he resigns as a hometown discount (he just might, he loves Edmonton). Sadly though it doesn't make much sense otherwise. We are a team that hasn't made the playoffs for 2 years and are up against the cap. WE can't really afford him and can't give up prospects to get him, we just don't have the cap or the depth to do it.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I haven't seen Tippet pull off anything different than McLellan did. The only difference in that McDavid/Draisaitl have started the season with a 2+ ppg avg and the goaltenders haven't been demoralized yet because of being peppered for 45 minutes a game.
You can't really make an argument for the significant difference in special teams..

That's coaching.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Going from 30th in PK to tied for first is mostly defensive structure. There are a lot less cross crease chances at 5 on 5 and cleaner puck break outs as well.

Still some problems of course, but to say nothing is different is disingenuous.

McDavid and Draisaitl do their thing, it's not like they didn't have hot stretches before this year and this just magically started now.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019

I see three big ones

1 Improve effort in going up and back down as a unit guys are desperate to be first back most shifts that was what went away last night and why Tipp was not happy

2 Way more movement on the power play TMac never did that and also as good at collapsing on the pick carrier on PK

3 Mucg better use of the wings to break out way fewer dumb up the chute passes only time you see them do it is either when a guy carries it through himself or on the flip pass from Russell

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I see three big ones

1 Improve effort in going up and back down as a unit guys are desperate to be first back most shifts that was what went away last night and why Tipp was not happy

2 Way more movement on the power play TMac never did that and also as good at collapsing on the pick carrier on PK

3 Mucg better use of the wings to break out way fewer dumb up the chute passes only time you see them do it is either when a guy carries it through himself or on the flip pass from Russell

There's also a lot less "cross seam pass ... goal!" against us on the PK and a lot less "what the hell was player X/Y/Z doing" on our goals against.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
1.) It's more likely Hall would want to come here than Pietrangelo.

2.) The Oilers defensive pipeline long term looks a lot better than their forward pipeline.

Of course we'll have some bad stretches, but I like our D structure moreso overall. A lot of what teams are getting is from the perimeter.

Why would hall come here? This organization did him in bad. He's more likely to cup chase with a contender.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
There's also a lot less "cross seam pass ... goal!" against us on the PK and a lot less "what the hell was player X/Y/Z doing" on our goals against.

The cross seam pass is not available when you have numbers on the guy with the puck that was why TMac’s stationary PK was so dumb the best kills are aggressive make you work for chances

Same with PP you have to out work the PK to score and we are right now

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why would hall come here? This organization did him in bad. He's more likely to cup chase with a contender.

Chiarelli did him dirty ... Chiarelli (and McLellan for that matter) are both gone and he can have the satisfaction of knowing in the long run trading him blew up in both of their faces.

With McDavid and Draisaitl of *today* (not the rookie versions) plus RNH, Klefbom, Nurse ... I think Hall has as much of a chance of winning here as just about anywhere else (without taking a massive pay cut).

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
You can't really make an argument for the significant difference in special teams..

That's coaching.
I already did. McDavid/Draisaitl in beast mode on the PP and the goaltenders standing on their head on the PK. There's way too many passengers for this tricycle to stay upright if one of those wheels fall off

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I already did. McDavid/Draisaitl in beast mode on the PP and the goaltenders standing on their head on the PK. There's way too many passengers for this tricycle to stay upright if one of those wheels fall off
Draisaitl had 50 goals and 105 points last year and the PP was not as good.

To say the PP and PK is because of McDavid and Draisaitl and goaltending isn't giving enough credit to everyone else. Neal has been a huge addition for the PP especially.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I don't really view it as "beast mode" so much "what the f*** do you think would happen if you gave McDavid and Draisaitl a shooter on the PP?".

It's been plainly obvious on the PP that they needed a one shot sniper and if they ever got one that player would score a lot of goals.

I put that more in the "Duh, no shit" column. I mean a bunch of McDavid's assists to Neal are nothing special, they're simple puck rotation. He can do that in his sleep.

The difference is before Lucic would flub that chance or Eberle would take 9 hours to get the shot off or look to make a cute pass back.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The defense will be fine for the foreseeable future. Sure it would be nice to have a #1D but Klefbom and Nurse are anchoring two top 4 pairings very nicely and are entering their primes. We have solid, cheap depth that will be plug and play each year in defense, and you keep the ones that exceed expectations and sell high on the others for picks or other depth pieces.

This team REALLY needs another gamebreaker in the top 6. Neal is a good sniper but he's not exactly a gamebreaker, more an opportunist and he's got a few years left in the tank. Need someone fast and reasonably young that has the skill to draw in defenders like McDrai do.

If it's not Hall it's got to be someone around his level. He's probably the best option they have (ex: actually available!) and if he does want to come back he will likely sign for under 10 million AAV. We hear the comparisons to Tavares but IMO Tavares has maybe a little more cache than Hall does (not saying he is better than Hall).

Reactions: 780il

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The defense will be fine for the foreseeable future. Sure it would be nice to have a #1D but Klefbom and Nurse are anchoring two top 4 pairings very nicely and are entering their primes. We have solid, cheap depth that will be plug and play each year in defense, and you keep the ones that exceed expectations and sell high on the others for picks or other depth pieces.

This team REALLY needs another gamebreaker in the top 6. Neal is a good sniper but he's not exactly a gamebreaker, more an opportunist and he's got a few years left in the tank. Need someone fast and reasonably young that has the skill to draw in defenders like McDrai do.

If it's not Hall it's got to be someone around his level. He's probably the best option they have (ex: actually available!) and if he does want to come back he will likely sign for under 10 million AAV. We hear the comparisons to Tavares but IMO Tavares has maybe a little more cache than Hall does (not saying he is better than Hall).

Y'know you never know. Taylor Hall is a guy who studies hockey history a lot ... he knows how rare a player like Connor McDavid is. He may be willing to take less money, or at least less money in year 7/8 of a contract to make it work.

There is an ego appeal to him too to know that him coming back would be what makes the Oilers a legit good team, he's the piece needed, it would a nice book end career wise.

If he were to come back and win here I think he knows it would be incredibly emotional, talk about a full circle sports story.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Maybe I'm just jaded after a decade of numerous 5-10 game stretches where they finally looked like they've turned the corner and fallen flat on their face.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
I don't really view it as "beast mode" so much "what the **** do you think would happen if you gave McDavid and Draisaitl a shooter on the PP?".

It's been plainly obvious on the PP that they needed a one shot sniper and if they ever got one that player would score a lot of goals.

I put that more in the "Duh, no ****" column. I mean a bunch of McDavid's assists to Neal are nothing special, they're simple puck rotation. He can do that in his sleep.

The difference is before Lucic would flub that chance or Eberle would take 9 hours to get the shot off or look to make a cute pass back.

Rhst and Neal at least understands basic body positioning in front Luc was often other teams best defence man he blocked so many own shots

Also he could never figure crease = bad so many goals were called off. Neal stands off to the side where he is never at risk of penalties

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

The team is playing an entirely different structure, and it's a lot more effective overall. Plus he actually line matches. Tippet is a coach that gets more out of his rosters rather than about what one would expect on average. The jury is still out on the bottom 6 (I think they need a few more offensively minded guys plugged in but they value defensively sound and PK guys understandably), but the PK and PP are improved as well. The PP as Tippet admits is a lot to do with personell (and GG was manning it last year anyhow so it shouldn't look a lot different), but the PK was been more aggressive and dynamic, aside from when they were dogging it a bit last night.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Maybe I'm just jaded after a decade of numerous 5-10 game stretches where they finally looked like they've turned the corner and fallen flat on their face.

You are not totally wrong but teams go 6-1 usually only when some one plays out of their mind

But there are structure differences for sure and that is why again Tipp was so pissed last night he saw a team that will lose most nights playing rhst way

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Rhst and Neal at least understands basic body positioning in front Luc was often other teams best defence man he blocked so many own shots

Also he could never figure crease = bad so many goals were called off. Neal stands off to the side where he is never at risk of penalties

Neal does a lot of smart things on the PP that Lucic and Eberle were too brain dead to do, even last night that goal Draisaitl scored (the 5th goal) is largely because Neal moves to the front of the net and teams have to respect him there and it's causing chaos for the opposing PK because it's creating all kinds of seams for other players to cash on.

The other only thing our PP is missing now is a canon point shot (knock knock Evan Bouchard and Ethan Bear).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad