Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Hallsy Take 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
There's better, cheaper ways to add scoring depth than giving an injury prone, my way or no way scoring winger $10m or more.

Why do you keep saying $10M or more? Has he said that is his starting price? For sure there is no way for him to fit on this team at $10M but what if he is willing to sacrifice dollars for a long term contract and to play with 2 of the best players in the NHL?

Reactions: frag2

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
There's zero chance Tippett would stand for a player like Hall in his line up. I LOVE that Tips was pissed off at the team's effort last night even though they won convincingly on the scorebaord. The team played like trash for most of the game. Dominated by the Flyers. Kosk kept them in it and Connor went supernova for 5 mins to put it out of reach. They are trying to build proper habits, and attitude and culture here. I am not convinced Hall has changed completely. I think there's still a big part of him that will sag, pout and give up should things not go his way and that will hurt team attitude. I've seen games where his team (in Edm and NJ) was winning but he hadn't gotten his point or wasn't playing all that well and you could see him on the bench unhappy. With Hall it's more about him first then winning second.

Listen to this blurb from Struds (a staunch Hall defender). I understand this was early in his career but I personally don't believe this attitude from him has changed all that much imo. Yes, i know some of you will disagree but that's the way i feel. Sturds talks about how Hallsy wasn't trying in a group workout and someone told him to get it done. Hallsy said meh, i'm good, i'm doing well on the ice. Horc told him buddy this is the standard etc. starts at around minute 41..... https://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1260/audio/the-jason-gregor-show-oct-16-hour-3-1.1382318

I'll say it again, it's no coincidence that there's all this stuff about hall regarding coaches telling him to sit at the end of the bench, overreacting to getting some water splashed on them, former teammates calling him out. and this isn't even including things some of us hear about him from people that are/were in the organization. some might think he's turned over a new leaf but i'm not willing to take that chance. i think when things get tough he'll pout, sag and further push the team into the hole with his attitude. would he be good if the team is doing well and he's also producing? i'm sure he'd be fine in that situation. but i want a mentally and attitude wise strong and resilient player. i want a player who will still play hard and do the little things well and be a team guy even if he's struggling to produce and not cheat or sag. i don't think hall is that guy.

but at the same time ai think Hall can learn a ton from Tipp especially as he ages he will need to play a three zone game or his career is done when his wheels are

Also I do not know if Hall will ever win a Cup if he is not pushed by a coach like Tipp once he hits free agency he will get team cap crippling money. Can any one say they think Hall would be the best player on a Cup winner? Because he will be the highest paid player on most teams likely after his next deal

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I want Hall back on the team for sure if they can make it work - but as many are saying, sign him in UFA rather than giving up assets for a deadline acquisition.

In a vacuum he is worth the $10-11m per year that is being thrown around, but I hope that given the frustration he has talked about from playing on mostly bad teams for his entire career, he'd be willing to go for 8.5/9m. Even at that price tag, this team would have to shuffle some things around to fit him in, but if he's willing to sign a 7 year deal for approx Draisaitl money, then we'd be crazy to pass that up. Even if he's the team's 3rd scoring option not playing with McD and Drai at even strength, he makes any line he plays on an automatic scoring threat.

If he reaches UFA, we'll see if everything Hall has said about prioritizing winning over money is true or not. Maybe he can have both, but I don't doubt that given the choice between $11m on a bad team and $9m on a good team, he'd take the $9m.

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
Personally, I think all of the Hall to Edmonton rumors are a negotiation technique used by his agent. I don't think it will happen. What about as a playoff rental? It's definitely a possibility like for a second round pick and a mid level prospect.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
I want Hall back on the team for sure if they can make it work - but as many are saying, sign him in UFA rather than giving up assets for a deadline acquisition.

In a vacuum he is worth the $10-11m per year that is being thrown around, but I hope that given the frustration he has talked about from playing on mostly bad teams for his entire career, he'd be willing to go for 8.5/9m. Even at that price tag, this team would have to shuffle some things around to fit him in, but if he's willing to sign a 7 year deal for approx Draisaitl money, then we'd be crazy to pass that up. Even if he's the team's 3rd scoring option not playing with McD and Drai at even strength, he makes any line he plays on an automatic scoring threat.

personslky would rather spend 9 mill on a D if we can clear it up plus get a big enough lift in cap

A top pair D does so much more for this team than another winger as if is built right now

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Personally, I think all of the Hall to Edmonton rumors are a negotiation technique used by his agent. I don't think it will happen. What about as a playoff rental? It's definitely a possibility like for a second round pick and a mid level prospect.

Hall as rental would command a 1st plus easy

I am okey paying that knowing he is a rental because he would make this a sure playoff team for sure plus maybe another round and that is good experience for the kids

Next year then when Hall walks we use the money to add real depth and are rolling with Bouch and Bear a year better and more experienced

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
personslky would rather spend 9 mill on a D if we can clear it up plus get a big enough lift in cap

A top pair D does so much more for this team than another winger as if is built right now

Where do we get one of those though? Barring a massive trade with a lot of our futures, a Josi/Hedman/Doughty calibre d-man is almost never available.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Where do we get one of those though? Barring a massive trade with a lot of our futures, a Josi/Hedman/Doughty calibre d-man is almost never available.

I have to wonder what Blues are thinking with their D

Weird to have three highpaid right D like that especially with expansion draft coming up

Maybe the plan is Petro walks but seems weird to let a true number one go like that

If so though he is who I throw that money at

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
but at the same time ai think Hall can learn a ton from Tipp especially as he ages he will need to play a three zone game or his career is done when his wheels are

Also I do not know if Hall will ever win a Cup if he is not pushed by a coach like Tipp once he hits free agency he will get team cap crippling money. Can any one say they think Hall would be the best player on a Cup winner? Because he will be the highest paid player on most teams likely after his next deal

nice post. ya, maybe he needs a caoch like tips with high standards? who knows. I'm more along the line of thinking that hall would make tips hair fall out. hynes is a highly regarded coach and word is coming out of from insiders that this is not his fault or sheros fault and that it's a player/culture, buy in, attitude problem. this does not surprise me when you have hall and PK on a team together. i would bet that team turns it around and does much better if they subtracted those two guys.

hall just seems like a guy who's got a thick skull and is slow to change or realize his faults. ESPECIALLY if he's producing well.... he's the kind of guy that would think, well, i'm going at a point/game clip... i'm doing my part, i don't need to be responsible and play hard and be a good example etc. i sincerely think tips and holland would not even consider taking chance on this potential disaster.

ya if hall's the best player on any team, that teams not getting anywhere near a cup. they might fluke out and make the playoffs once....

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Our D long term looks OK, you have Bouchard and Broberg coming and Samorukov and Jones may still factor into the mix and you have Klefbom and Nurse getting into their prime and being able to stabilize their own pairings.

The clear as day hole this team has is the lack of a secondary dominant offensive force ... ideally a player who has a good amount of speed to keep the heat on teams when McDavid's line leaves the ice.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I've already mentioned the Leafs being a terrible example when speaking of cap commitments. Their defense will be a victim in short order due to their frivolous spending up front.
I'm sorry but I'm not seeing the logic here.

Any situation where you can sign a superstar and eventually have to move a very good player sounds like a pretty good problem to me. Do you do nothing, keep Nylander and eventually hope you use cap space on defense.. or do you sign the superstar, keep Nylander while you can and ship him out for assets later on?

Seems kinda obvious to me.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
nice post. ya, maybe he needs a caoch like tips with high standards? who knows. I'm more along the line of thinking that hall would make tips hair fall out. hynes is a highly regarded coach and word is coming out of from insiders that this is not his fault or sheros fault and that it's a player/culture, buy in, attitude problem. this does not surprise me when you have hall and PK on a team together. i would bet that team turns it around and does much better if they subtracted those two guys.

hall just seems like a guy who's got a thick skull and is slow to change or realize his faults. ESPECIALLY if he's producing well.... he's the kind of guy that would think, well, i'm going at a point/game clip... i'm doing my part, i don't need to be responsible and play hard and be a good example etc. i sincerely think tips and holland would not even consider taking chance on this potential disaster.

ya if hall's the best player on any team, that teams not getting anywhere near a cup. they might fluke out and make the playoffs once....

I'd love to know the source of your Hall obsession. The fact you're over on the Devil's board posting the exact same garbage as you do here speaks to some real pathological s**t on your part.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I wouldn't be wasting assets on Hall as a rental. The smart play would be to offer NJD a late pick around the draft to give us an earlier negotiating window plus the ability to offer the 8th year.
That’s not how that works.

has to be on the team at the previous trade deadline.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd love to know the source of your Hall obsession. The fact you're over on the Devil's board posting the exact same garbage as you do here speaks to some real pathological s**t on your part.

They're calling him a f***ing idiot over on the NJ board too, lol. I'd just ignore it. Obviously at this point it's some kind of irrational personal vendetta he has.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
All the Leafs gave up was money.

Trading for Hall will require a 1st + top prospect just to begin the conversation on top of gifting him $10m for an extension.

**** that noise.
I never said we should trade for him. The thread cut off, but I said the opposite.

I would sign him, not trade for him.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Is he seriously doing that? Good lord that's embarrassing.

If there are any NJ fans lurking in here, sorry about that doofus.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The poster didn't say easier, he said better and cheaper and he's 100% correct.

Same difference, really.

If you want cheap depth scoring you have to either fall into some hotshot on a ELC or hope some depth guy has a career year like Chiasson last year. Not sure either route is one we can count on here. There's a reason why guys who can generate offense get paid.

Reactions: Oilhawks

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm sorry but I'm not seeing the logic here.

Any situation where you can sign a superstar and eventually have to move a very good player sounds like a pretty good problem to me. Do you do nothing, keep Nylander and eventually hope you use cap space on defense.. or do you sign the superstar, keep Nylander while you can and ship him out for assets later on?

Seems kinda obvious to me.
The logic is the fact that there are only so many roles on a roster that provide an elite level player the ability to produce at an elite level. It's not a 'good problem' to fill second line roles with all stars at the expense of a reliable defense.

Taylor Hall has exactly three seasons throughout his career where he has eclipsed the 60 point mark. Each year having been given the ability to play on a team's top line with primary PP opportunities. When you consider the role we have available is that of a second line winger, are you confident Taylor Hall is somehow certain to exceed that production regularly despite a diminished offensive role?

The salary cap punishes teams that spend so frivolously. It's why the Maple Leafs are poised to be worse next season than they are this year seeing that their cap situation will likely see them watch one or both of Tyson Barrie and Jake Muzzin walk at season's end.

Last edited:

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I have to wonder what Blues are thinking with their D

Weird to have three highpaid right D like that especially with expansion draft coming up

Maybe the plan is Petro walks but seems weird to let a true number one go like that

If so though he is who I throw that money at
Screw Hall. Totally down for Pietrangelo.
Our defense is horrible despite our record(thanks to our top 6) Adding a high paid defensively inept forward like Hall(I'm good adding him for a playoff run) is a bad idea.
The Oilers don't have a Pietrangelo, Carlson, Letang, Keith, Doughty, or Chara; which all SC winners have had.

Last edited:
Reactions: McRpro

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Screw Hall. Totally down for Pietrangelo.
Our defense is horrible despite our record(thanks to our top 6) Adding a high paid defensively inept forward like Hall(Im good adding him for a playoff run)

1.) It's more likely Hall would want to come here than Pietrangelo.

2.) The Oilers defensive pipeline long term looks a lot better than their forward pipeline.

Of course we'll have some bad stretches, but I like our D structure moreso overall. A lot of what teams are getting is from the perimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad