Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Goaltending Upgrade(s) In Season or Off Season?

Will Holland Add a #1 Goalie...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Fair enough.
I dont buy Holloway on McWing either. He will hopefully become a better version of Archibald in middle 6.
Cant bank on Holloway when talking about RNH. We would certainly need to go out and add a Rakell or Arvidsson at minimum

Not yet anyway. That doesn't mean that he won't be ready for it relatively soon. It just means that I wouldn't bank on it.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Oilers' Nurse emerging as homegrown leader creating stability in Edmonton

I thought this was a good piece on Nurse. Glad to see him finally looking like the defender the franchise was looking for when they drafted him. Hopefully he continues to show that he's here to stay.
How much of the "Nurse emerging as homegrown leader creating stability in Edmonton" is due or at least partially due to his defense partner. You know, Tyson Barrie.

Tyson Barrie on the other side with Darnell Nurse. It's like we have an actual first pairing to play along with our superstar centers, McDavid and Draisaitl.

I implore you and others to think it over.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I really like Holloway and think he’s going to be a fan favourite with how he plays the game.

However, I do worry about expectations being too high for him right now. Like he’s still a young developing player and the oft quoted phrase “progress isn’t linear” applies here.

I just don’t want people to have such high expectations and then get frustrated if he doesn’t meet them immediately.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
How much of the "Nurse emerging as homegrown leader creating stability in Edmonton" is due or at least partially due to his defense partner. You know, Tyson Barrie.

Tyson Barrie on the other side with Darnell Nurse. It's like we have an actual first pairing to play along with our superstar centers, McDavid and Draisaitl.

I've watched Nurse steadily improve every year since he was drafted.

I can't say the same for Barrie. Granted I obviously haven't watched him as much over his career. This isn't me discrediting him at all, he's been a very pleasant surprise now that he's looking settled. But let's not pretend Nurse owes it to Barrie. The guy went up against top competition last year with a rookie as a partner. And this year, as Barrie struggled to find his groove, Nurse was a f***in rock.

This team absolutely burns this year without Nurse. I don't feel as strongly about Barrie. But that's just me. That's two partners almost everyone has universally agreed on that aren't top pairing defensemen that he has worked with and shown good success with.

Last edited:

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Our goaltending thus far this year.....

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

I can't say the same for Barrie. Granted I obviously haven't watched him as much over his career. This isn't me discrediting him at all, he's been a very pleasant surprise now that he's looking settled. But let's not pretend Nurse owes it to Barrie. The guy went up against top competition last year with a rookie as a partner. And this year, as Barrie struggled to find his groove, Nurse was a f***in rock.

This team absolutely burns this year without Nurse. I don't feel as strongly about Barrie. But that's just me.
Then watch Tyson Barrie with extreme vigilance for the remainder of the season. Get on it starting tonight.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines

REALLY hope we make it a priority to extend Barrie. Hope our "braintrust" can see the value in having both Barrie & Bouchard long term. It amazes me how many on here believe that he is redundant because we have Bouchard. We have heard for years about how we need better transition play & puck moving from the D. Well, here it is....

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
REALLY hope we make it a priority to extend Barrie. Hope our "braintrust" can see the value in having both Barrie & Bouchard long term. It amazes me how many on here believe that he is redundant because we have Bouchard. We have heard for years about how we need better transition play & puck moving from the D. Well, here it is....
You're the best.

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

We already have it in Bear and Bouchard, theres a salary cap and a need for a PK & ES focused D with net front presence. Just because we needed a puck moving RD 5 years ago doesnt mean its our biggest need going forward. Its not. We cant afford to carry defensively porous veterans. We have Broberg and Samorukov coming in and Klefbom hanging on the outside. Barrie is the worst overall D-man on this team going forward. Unfortunately he also has dirt poor trade value because every GM in the NHL also knows this. If you have piss for puckmovers/PP RD, he might have value to you-- anyone who isnt living in the RD poorhouse wont have interest.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
We already have it in Bear and Bouchard, theres a salary cap and a need for a PK & ES focused D with net front presence. Just because we needed a puck moving RD 5 years ago doesnt mean its our biggest need going forward. Its not. We cant afford to carry defensively porous veterans. We have Broberg and Samorukov coming in and Klefbom hanging on the outside. Barrie is the worst overall D-man on this team going forward.
Then trade Bear I don't care. You're the worst.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

I think Nurse had 3 or 4 goals before he was even paired with Barrie.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Last season Kassian 15 ES G and 34 ES pts
RNH 15ES goals & 37 ES pts

Just sayin ;)

And 15 goals and 34 points earned hima 4 year $3.4M deal despite never having had more than 15 goals or 30 points in any season. So what would he have gotten if he had 25 goals and twice as many points on average over his previous two years?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oh please. It's a reasonable opinion. I dont look down at people who want to keep Nuge long term either. That is also a reasonable opinion.

It is a fact that Yamamoto already does some things better than Nuge. Nuge does some things better, but hence why I said it is arguable. So sorry but you're way off base here.

Second, of course RNH will decline. Look at stats for all forwards like him. And btw just because he will be in decline doesnt mean he will be a bad player those years. He is also not in decline currently. Never said that

Age is impossible to ignore. If we sign him 7 years at 7 million. Its not a question of whether or not his contract will be an albatross, but how many years of it will. I happen to think our window to win is more than 7 years. And btw our standard for "albatross" is low considering how tight our cap is, and it will only get worse

And btw I love Nuge. I fully endorse a 7 million AAV deal, but only 3-4 years. It's just cold logic to restrict it
I'm not looking down at anyone. I simply pointed out that your post was rife with non-truths and blind speculation.

Reactions: Samus44

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Id like us to resign both Barrie and Larsson of the price is right. Bouchard could move to the left side and the right side could be Barrie, Bear and Larsson.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

This team absolutely burns this year without Nurse. I don't feel as strongly about Barrie. But that's just me. That's two partners almost everyone has universally agreed on that aren't top pairing defensemen that he has worked with and shown good success with.

I really like this top pairing. Been a fan of Nurse's utility and his nasty disposition driven by excellent skating since his draft selection. It's a rare package but I think it is alway what has led a bit to the miscasting and confusion surrounding the player. I see Nurse as an imposing shutdown defender first and foremost. That he can skate and carry the puck and reasonably affectively operate on a PP is value-add but not his natural strengths. Barrie, as a high octane, small and gifted offensive defenseman is a perfect complement and together, at least the recent short-term is working extremely well.

Now hitting his prime years as an NHL defenseman, the game is beginning to slow down for Nurse. His confidence in himself and his game, always present, is starting to direct a smarter, simpler game with breakdowns in decision making reducing maybe in part to deferring to a more natural, high skilled offensive partner. With this pairing, we're still bound to see some bad decisions like the double pinch against the Flamers that led to an odd man rush goal the wrong way. But I think Nurse Barrie are a solid complementing top pairing for this team.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I really like Holloway and think he’s going to be a fan favourite with how he plays the game.

However, I do worry about expectations being too high for him right now. Like he’s still a young developing player and the oft quoted phrase “progress isn’t linear” applies here.

I just don’t want people to have such high expectations and then get frustrated if he doesn’t meet them immediately.

Yeah, all this talk about him joining the roster late this season and being a regular next season feels a bit too soon. Admittedly, I have seen very little of him, but mid-first round guys, as talented as they are, usually don't crack the NHL in their draft + 1 year, usually more like +2 or +3.

Reactions: TB12

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Does a second round pick not pry a goalie free from a team that will definitely lose one during expansion?

Add a player for cap swap and we good.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You definition of great may need to be adjusted.
The guy didnt even get 9 mins of ice time and created nothing.
'good enough' could be a better descriptor if you think he was a positive player. I am sticking to 'meh' for him.
18 yo Holloway would be just as effective if not more tenacious in our bottom 6 . in 2 yrs it shouldbt be close.
LTIR use your brain my God man. Look at the penalties last game. Bouchard got 9 minutes. He must suck too then right?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yamamoto is a very good young player. However to say that he is > RNH IMO is just wrong. Might he be in time? Maybe. The only forward that we have that I am fairly confident that will be better than RNH (outside of McDrai) is Puljujarvi. Holloway might, Yamo might, Nuge is a lot better player than many give him credit for.
I never said he’s better than Nuge. I was only answering your post about him having only 9 points. Nuge is definitely better

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Does a second round pick not pry a goalie free from a team that will definitely lose one during expansion?

Add a player for cap swap and we good.

I do wonder about Columbus with Merzlikins and Korpisalo as an example of this. Maybe one of them could be had, if we think that they're a potential answer. Both are 26 years old too, so seems safe to assume they could have many, many years left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad