Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Goaltending Upgrade(s) In Season or Off Season?

Will Holland Add a #1 Goalie...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
How are they losing Pulju? They have no reason to go 4x4 at this point so I'm sure he'll be protected.
I'm not giving Seattle a 1st just so the Oilers can keep Jones or Benson and save $3M+ this offseason when they already have cap flexibility to start with.

Chances are that the Oilers will have to upgrade the roster through trade, because big free agent contracts rarely work out, so if you have no draft pick until the 4th round you significantly hamper your ability to make a meaningful trade.

we don’t yet know. If Barrie/Larsson are extended, and Klefa is coming back, suddenly you have to look at 8 skaters

Did you just say the Oilers {are likely to/might as well/in this scenario will} leave Jesse Puljujarvi exposed for the expansion draft. I hate you very much this morning. My penitential for bloodthirsty hysteria just went up 1000%.

I’m certainly hoping we don’t, but we don’t yet know what our protection list will look like. Just this past offseason we were all assuming we were losing Jones or Pulju. There’s a possibility we can’t protect him, or someone else we don’t want to lose, at which point there’s an additional benefit to paying to have them take Neal

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I’m certainly hoping we don’t, but we don’t yet know what our protection list will look like. Just this past offseason we were all assuming we were losing Jones or Pulju. There’s a possibility we can’t protect him, or someone else we don’t want to lose, at which point there’s an additional benefit to paying to have them take Neal
This. Pay Seattle to take Neal. They get a 1st(or 2x2nd) and a veteran net presence. We keep the remaining exposed players.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Oh please. It's a reasonable opinion. I dont look down at people who want to keep Nuge long term either. That is also a reasonable opinion.

It is a fact that Yamamoto already does some things better than Nuge. Nuge does some things better, but hence why I said it is arguable. So sorry but you're way off base here.

Second, of course RNH will decline. Look at stats for all forwards like him. And btw just because he will be in decline doesnt mean he will be a bad player those years. He is also not in decline currently. Never said that

Age is impossible to ignore. If we sign him 7 years at 7 million. Its not a question of whether or not his contract will be an albatross, but how many years of it will. I happen to think our window to win is more than 7 years. And btw our standard for "albatross" is low considering how tight our cap is, and it will only get worse

And btw I love Nuge. I fully endorse a 7 million AAV deal, but only 3-4 years. It's just cold logic to restrict it
"Look at stats for all forwards like him" proceeds to show no stats instead just alluding to some kind of vague truth we should all just believe because he says the stats exist. If you are going to reference some apparent evidence as proving your point perhaps you ought to you know provide the evidence too. It would be very time consuming to make the statistical comparison you are suggesting will show the truth so either you've done/found the work and can share it or you are just making stuff up based on an assumption. If you do have the compiled info please share it.

Reactions: TB12

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The RNH raise shouldn't be too signifcant, Yamamoto at this point is likely to get a modest bridge contract not a big raise, Barrie probably won't be re-signed at least not at big numbers (hopefully) and Nurse, Bear, Pulju and Bouchard aren't due for a raise until 2 years from now when Koskinen will be off the books and Neal will only have one year left. Attaching a valuable asset to rid of Neal makes no sense to be honest.
If it was up to me I'm signing Barrie, the only question about it, just as in the instance with RNH, is if Barrie is looking for a contract I don't find acceptable.

Then I let Barrie, whom I find more important than RNH walk. I don't care if Bouchard becomes good in the future and why do posters keep saying Bouchard becomes good with certainty? Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't.

Maybe I want two right handed defencemen on the squad that can score. Just the feeling of having competent management with an elite team to cheer on would be awesome.

I don't have faith in Bear being the player imagined by some last season, maybe he's just a third pairing player that is disposable and his equivalent is more easily acquired than Barrie or as "anticipated," Bouchard.

If players don't want to sign reasonable contracts let go of them so they can follow that rainbow to the happy land where they won't be playing with McDavid or Draisaitl in a hockey crazed market.

Competing with other NHL organizations needs to be viewed as all out warfare if we ever want to succeed. Hard decisions will have to be made.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We can always gain assets to make up for the 2x 2nds. Look at Buffalo, they had the cap space to sign Hall. Not working out but they will get at least a 1st round pick for him at the deadline.
There's many uses for 6M. it can also go toward signing a 3C, portion of it towards a top 4 Dman, portion of it towards a starting goalie, etc. You can't do anything with dead cap

The Oilers don't need to trade Neal to have the money to fill holes and re-sign their players. That's my point.
A buyout isn't even necessary but it's a better option than making a foolish trade to unload Neal's contract. Teams make cap clearing moves when they are tight against the cap, that won't be the case with the Oilers. There's no need for it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
we don’t yet know. If Barrie/Larsson are extended, and Klefa is coming back, suddenly you have to look at 8 skaters

Teams don't need to protect UFA's and the chances of Klefbom coming back fully healthy appear very slim at this point, it's an arthritic condition. Would you protect Klefbom over Puljujarvi with all the uncertainty surrounding his health? I certainly wouldn't.

It comes down to Jones or Lagesson vs. Puljujarvi+2 other forwards. Jones isn't even in the lineup right now so it's looking more unlikely that he'll be protected. Lagesson has been solid but I wouldn't protect him over Puljujarvi. Maybe that changes by the end of the season but as of right now, that's how I see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: frag2

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If it was up to me I'm signing Barrie, the only question about it, just as in the instance with RNH, is if Barrie is looking for a contract I don't find acceptable.

Then I let Barrie, whom I find more important than RNH walk. I don't care if Bouchard becomes good in the future and why do posters keep saying Bouchard becomes good with certainty? Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't.

Maybe I want two right handed defencemen on the squad that can score. Just the feeling of having competent management with an elite team to cheer on would be awesome.

I don't have faith in Bear being the player imagined by some last season, maybe he's just a third pairing player that is disposable and his equivalent is more easily acquired than Barrie or as "anticipated," Bouchard.

If players don't want to sign reasonable contracts let go of them so they can follow that rainbow to the happy land where they won't be playing with McDavid or Draisaitl in a hockey crazed market.

Competing with other NHL organizations needs to be viewed as all out warfare if we ever want to succeed. Hard decisions will have to be made.

I'm not saying this to dump on you. I'm saying this in excitement for Bouchard. Are you not watching the games?

He is being used in a sheltered role but his biggest weakness (defense/his own end) has yet to look anything but steady (knock on virtual wood).

Significantly better than most rookie defensemen period. Far better than Jones at a younger age for a quick comparison.

Defense steady and his offense... his first pass... his shot... his puck moving is just great and it is his ROOKIE year.

I still am surprised people are just not gushing over this kid. He has excelled at every level/league to date and so far is continuing that trend.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Teams don't need to protect UFA's and the chances of Klefbom coming back fully healthy appear very slim at this point, it's an arthritic condition. Would you protect Klefbom over Puljujarvi with all the uncertainty surrounding his health? I certainly wouldn't.

It comes down to Jones or Lagesson vs. Puljujarvi+2 other forwards. Jones isn't even in the lineup right now so it's looking more unlikely that he'll be protected. Lagesson has been solid but I wouldn't protect him over Puljujarvi. Maybe that changes by the end of the season but as of right now, that's how I see it.

You missed the part where I said if Barrie and Larsson are extended. Obviously you don’t bother protecting them if they’re not signed

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Neal will be off to the Kraken this summer. Not sure the exact cost but Vegas took lots of bad contacts to stockpile assets. Seattle will attempt to follow their model to a T.

Our goalie situation will also be solved by the expansion draft, either directly with Seattle or indirectly.

The bad contracts that Vegas took only had 1 year left or the player was on LTIR and never going to play again. Getting rid of 2 years of Neal will be expensive.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
You missed the part where I said if Barrie and Larsson are extended. Obviously you don’t bother protecting them if they’re not signed
There’s zero reason to sign either of them before expansion. It’s a bad hypothetical because doing so would just be terrible management.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

They aren't going to sign Larsson and Barrie before the expansion draft then protect them, that would be foolish. No competent GM would do something like that.

As I said, it will more than likely come down to Puljuarvi+2 forwards vs. Jones or Lagesson. I don't even think Klefbom is a consideration considering the uncertainty surrounding his health.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I think you don't protect Larsson Barry if we sign them and Klefbom.
We have to loose someone
Klef is always broken
Barry will be expensive
Larsson will be expensive for what he brings.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I'm not saying this to dump on you. I'm saying this in excitement for Bouchard. Are you not watching the games?

He is being used in a sheltered role but his biggest weakness (defense/his own end) has yet to look anything but steady (knock on virtual wood).

Significantly better than most rookie defensemen period. Far better than Jones at a younger age for a quick comparison.

Defense steady and his offense... his first pass... his shot... his puck moving is just great and it is his ROOKIE year.

I still am surprised people are just not gushing over this kid. He has excelled at every level/league to date and so far is continuing that trend.
Honest question, do "you" think I'm watching the games or that I have a reason to deceive you? I guess the only way to tell is by giving me some sort of quiz. Then even if I'm not watching the games I might refuse to take this quiz under false presences. I could fake an illness or say some emergency popped up and I had to leave immediately. Maybe i'm an insurgent from calgarypuck, have watched all the games but out of hatred for everyone and everything above Red Deer, have you ever thought of that?

For the record "I'm a huge fan of Evan Bouchard" and have been since before we drafted him. I watched every second of video of all the defencemen expected to be available from his draft. When he was available, I can't say for certain, but there is a good chance I had my fingers crossed for Bouchard.

Reactions: Aerchon

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
James Neal was coming off a 23 goal season in Nashville and was only 29 at the time when Vegas nabbed him
Neal is 32 now and has 2 goals and can't skate anymore

no chance they take Neal

I said that we will have to pay to unload Neal. I agree, they won't take him for nothing.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hall has 9 points in 13 games and -10. He's right. He has never played with a GM like Eichel

Reactions: Aerchon

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

If you’re advocating not protecting Klefbom and going 7-3-1, we still have the ability to go Nurse, Bear, one of Lagesson/Jones.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Kahun was great last night and he's been pretty much a 3rd line winger his whole career. A line of

Holloway Khaira Kahun

would look great (start Holloway in as a winger and then slowly build him to be a Centre)
You definition of great may need to be adjusted.
The guy didnt even get 9 mins of ice time and created nothing.
'good enough' could be a better descriptor if you think he was a positive player. I am sticking to 'meh' for him.
18 yo Holloway would be just as effective if not more tenacious in our bottom 6 . in 2 yrs it shouldbt be close.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I can't believe you guys want Hall back. You remember that he had zero chemistry with McDavid right?

I’m not saying bring him back, but of all the reasons not to, this seems like the worst one by far.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Sure thing, just like Kahun should fit in great on Drai's wing. The reality is that it's not as easy as to produce with Connor as many think that it is. If Holloway steps in and shows the ability then that's great, expecting him to be super productive early is asking a lot out of a raw rookie.

Does it matter as long as the line is getting results? Lines can go through slumps as a whole. Lately they are playing well and the points should be coming for all 3 of them.
Fair enough.
I dont buy Holloway on McWing either. He will hopefully become a better version of Archibald in middle 6.
Cant bank on Holloway when talking about RNH. We would certainly need to go out and add a Rakell or Arvidsson at minimum

Reactions: Bryanbryoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->