Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Goaltending Upgrade(s) In Season or Off Season?

Will Holland Add a #1 Goalie...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
As a junior here he was a solid competitor. But you have to wonder if his concussions have not made him very shy of getting involved.

I don't think Ryan Spooner was always so soft either. The NHL is a tough league and I don't often call players soft but sometimes they get that way. I'm close to labeling Turris the same. It's often not intentional it's just over time these players subconsciously look for other solutions than grinding given past negative experiences. I think Skinner is a player that's difficult to win with. At 4.5 it might work but the term is crazy for a guy who's ability/will to compete physically and defensively is questionable moving forward. I was probably being a little harsh but I really do think it's a bad idea.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I have a soft spot for reclamation projects but there is no reason to believe that Skinner would be anything other than an anchor.

I wouldn’t go that far. We don’t need him to be a 40 goal scorer. If he can be a 25 goal, 50 point guy, on the the second line to round out the top 6, while dumping Neal’s contract, I think there’s value to be had. But obviously you’re not doing it without heavy retention

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I wouldn’t go that far. We don’t need him to be a 40 goal scorer. If he can be a 25 goal, 50 point guy, on the the second line to round out the top 6, while dumping Neal’s contract, I think there’s value to be had. But obviously you’re not doing it without heavy retention

Skinner cant do that unless maybe you send him to bootcamp and biosteel 24-7-365. If Skinner was a 20 goal guy Krueger would NOT be scratching him 3 games in a row. He deserved to be scratched long ago too. He is not being hard done by he is receiving just desserts. Theres no hearbeat here. If he has a massive response to this next game he draws in, it might pique my curiosity, but generally speaking he sucks.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Exactly, we don't need a Boyd Gordon lol.
I'd happily take a Boyd Gordon, I think this fanbase undervalued and under-respected him cause we got him as his decline was beginning, very effective in his role in his prime, it wouldn't surprise me if Glendening was at a similar point in his career which is why I'm lukewarm at the prospect of picking him up.

Given how Tippett deployed Turris to start the season, I think he's hungry for a Gordon type center, we should get our coach one if we don't have that guy internally.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Id rather just buy out Neal this off season and pay 1.9 million for 4 years over taking a retained Skinner for 6 more years.

Reactions: Patch101

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Id rather just buy out Neal this off season and pay 1.9 million for 4 years over taking a retained Skinner for 6 more years.

The question at that point is do you think you can sign a better player than Jeff Skinner for 2.6 million? If he bounces back at all, I’m not sure you could

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Neal for Skinner (@4.5) straight up, and I’d consider it. He has 14 goals, and 24 points since the start of last season. Even at 6.5, it’s a bad contract. At 4.5, you can at least gamble that he might bounce back and be worth his contract. But they’d probably buy him out before they did that
Started a bit early on the whiskey right?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The question at that point is do you think you can sign a better player than Jeff Skinner for 2.6 million? If he bounces back at all, I’m not sure you could

That’s a horrible gamble for 6 years. Even if Buffalo retained half your paying 4.5 for 6 years for a player that’s almost 30 and on a serious decline.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Connolly retained for Kassian? Not sure I like that trade but Connolly was a better player than he’s been and still young enough to bounce back you’d think (even though he looks a lot older than he is lol).

North

Jun 25, 2009
Is Stalock that bad?

His numbers from last year are decent.

Seems like he was injured for a bit and Talbot and Kahkonnen (or whatever his name is) were good for the Wild so Stalock is the odd man out.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Connolly retained for Kassian? Not sure I like that trade but Connolly was a better player than he’s been and still young enough to bounce back you’d think (even though he looks a lot older than he is lol).

I think it's a problem that Joel Quennville doesn't like him and if JQ doesnt like you, you don't play. I think he'd might be a good fit with the Oilers based on what I saw from him in the playoffs a couple years ago.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I am starting to wonder if maybe we will look at moving Bear (assuming that we can sign Barrie and Larsson)?

Barrie is a high end offensive player that can't be replaced, Larsson brings a physical element that can't be replaced and Bouchard brings a high end offensive game that bolsters our offense.

I'm not sure that we move Bouch to the left side long term with the possibility of Klef coming back, Broberg and Samorukov coming down the pipeline, and Lagesson looking like a solid PK and ES defensive option. Hell Tippett even played Jones over Bouch on the left side.

So assuming that we shop Bear and that his level of play rises back to his normal level of play, what could we fetch for him?

Reactions: Heavy Dee

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Stalock instead of Forsberg as our 3rd? Only makes 785.000. This and next season tho.
With Winnipeg claiming Comrie back they’re better off waiting for the Jets to put Forsberg back on waivers so he can be assigned to the taxi squad here. Stalock would have to stay on the roster.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't think Ryan Spooner was always so soft either. The NHL is a tough league and I don't often call players soft but sometimes they get that way. I'm close to labeling Turris the same. It's often not intentional it's just over time these players subconsciously look for other solutions than grinding given past negative experiences. I think Skinner is a player that's difficult to win with. At 4.5 it might work but the term is crazy for a guy who's ability/will to compete physically and defensively is questionable moving forward. I was probably being a little harsh but I really do think it's a bad idea.
I don't thimk I'd have any interest i a trade trade for Skinner at $4.5M. I think there wll be better ways to send that money.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Pick up Connolly
Way too expensive. Term left. Not really an upgrade on a Kassian or a Chiasson.

Kurt Leavins speculating on his article today about a 3C. Gives props to Haas as a depth option, but points out his low production and questions the long-term answer. Suggests Sutter as a possible deadline target with retention.

I still think Turris has another gear, but we may need to waive him to wake him up.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I am starting to wonder if maybe we will look at moving Bear (assuming that we can sign Barrie and Larsson)?

Barrie is a high end offensive player that can't be replaced, Larsson brings a physical element that can't be replaced and Bouchard brings a high end offensive game that bolsters our offense.

I'm not sure that we move Bouch to the left side long term with the possibility of Klef coming back, Broberg and Samorukov coming down the pipeline, and Lagesson looking like a solid PK and ES defensive option. Hell Tippett even played Jones over Bouch on the left side.

So assuming that we shop Bear and that his level of play rises back to his normal level of play, what could we fetch for him?
One of cbj young goalies.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
I would claim both Stalock and Connolly...if the cap space is there.... run 97,29,93 down the middle throw connolly on LW for either of those guys... fixes the 3C issue and RNH will get plenty of icetime on the PP and PK... could run 3 lines most of the game, and probably 11F/7D to give more icetime to 97/29/93 if you want

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->