Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Friedman: Kahun 1 year $975k

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The oilers had 3 pucks deflect in their own net.

but you also think strudwick is a comparable for broberg, so what do you know.

Deflections are "lucky" now?

Coaches tell their teams to get traffic in front so they can be lucky?

Coaches tell D-men to clear the front of the net (rather than wander aimlessly into the high slot... looking at you Nurse) to avoid bad luck?

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I still think we overrate the hell out of Bear. He had an outstanding year compared to what was expected of him, but realistically he'll probably top out as a sheltered 2nd pair Dman. There's no need for him to be playing the minutes he did last season consistently.

I wouldn’t say I do. He’s right now a 2/3 RD.

However, the comments there were ridiculous. One guy said he’d be in the ECHL, another said he’d be a 14th/15th defenceman on the Leafs.

I mean I know we’re as biased as anyone but the hyperbole and ridiculousness in that thread was astronomical.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I got more leaked text messages.

View attachment 375222
upload_2020-11-3_9-17-22.jpeg

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Coaches tell D-men to clear the front of the net (rather than wander aimlessly into the high slot... looking at you Nurse) to avoid bad luck?

Well.... yeah, that is exactly why coaches say to get traffic in front of the net. Well, its one of the primary reasons anyhow. It's to screen the goalie, to put yourself in a good spot for a deflection and rebounds as well, but random-puck-bounce-luck is one of the reasons as well.

Hockey is an inherently "luck based" game, more so than almost any other sport I am aware of. People don't like that fact, but it doesn't stop it from being true.

We already got pretty heavy into this back in August when we were all talking about the Chicago series, and I don't want to go down that same rabbit hole, so this will be my last comment on the topic of luck :)

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The oilers had 3 pucks deflect in their own net.

but you also think strudwick is a comparable for broberg, so what do you know.
And we scored weak goals ourselves. Deflected shots may excuse our goaltenders but not the team.
Also, nice try with bringing my post comparing Victor Broberg to Struds as if it defines me.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The two pucks deflected off of Russell was definitely bad luck and the one off of Bear's stick but you're right, the Hawks went to the hard areas of the ice and were rewarded while the Oilers were skimming the perimeter mostly.

It's been a problem with the Oilers for years, trying to be too cute and not paying the price to get the hard areas of the ice. With guys like Yamamoto, Ennis and Archibald injected into the lineup, they improved somewhat in that area (the Neal-Khaira-Chiasson line did well carete net havoc too) but still not enough play in the middle of the ice and traffic in front of the net. The Oilers are notoriously weak in this area and have been since '06 really.

This is also why I liked the Kahun signing. He's a guy who knows how to get to scoring spots and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. We need more of this from Kassian as well, less trying to be the fancy skill guy and more playing to his strengths getting in on the forecheck and driving the net. Let McDavid and RNH carry the puck.

Bottom line, Chicago created a lot of their luck especially earlier in the series by playing the right way setting the tone right off the bat with the Game 1 trouncing like the vet core they are. A good lesson learned for the Oilers I'd hope.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I don’t know how you define luck but when 3 goals are deflected in by your own team then I’d consider that lucky. It’s not like the Hawks players were planning on the goal going in off of an Oiler but that’s why you shoot into traffic.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Still amazes me how much weight people are putting on the play in series. Dallas looked like absolute shit in the round robin, but they were lucky enough to get it out of their system and then made it all the way to the finals. If the league hadn’t decided to do away with the divisions for the play in, or if the Oilers had beat Winnipeg the last game before the stoppage and ended up in the round robin instead who’s to say that couldn’t have been them making that run? They were a good team for 71 games and then unfortunately had a couple bad games when it counted.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kahuna is a Hawaiian word, defined as a respected person who has moral authority in society; a "priest, sorcerer, magician, wizard, minister, expert in any profession (whether male or female)".

Taken from Wikipedia. I can live with that :)

Generally speaking it is a priest in modern times. Sometimes if someone is a real d-bag you will hear someone say "do you want me to put Kahuna on you" in which case it would be like cursing someone. I have a couple of Kahu friends (Hawaiian priests) that are both spiritual in Christianity and the ways of their ancestors pre western contact. When buildings are built on old burials, if an area is haunted by spirits (often times due to burials being desecrated or disturbed), or when you want a place blessed it is very common here to call in a Kahu.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I don’t know how you define luck but when 3 goals are deflected in by your own team then I’d consider that lucky. It’s not like the Hawks players were planning on the goal going in off of an Oiler but that’s why you shoot into traffic.

The PDO advanced stat is probably the greatest example of a stat that measures luck. It’s the summation of a team’s shooting percentage and their save percentage.

5v5 we had a .946 PDO.

Chicago had a 1.054.

That’s a difference of over 0.100.

The difference between the bottom and the top of the PDO stat in the regular season was half that.

That’s all that really needs to be said.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Do we have any cap space left now? Would love to add a veteran LHD still...

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Do we have any cap space left now? Would love to add a veteran LHD still...

Technically for $1 million ish they should be able to depending on what Bear signs for. I think we’ll see Bear sign first though

Reactions: Zaddy

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yes and Ceci is a #1 Dman. I don't even bother arguing with Leaf fans.
When dealing with leave fans, I live by this motto
YOU CANT FIX STUPID

Unless you are doctor Frankenstein and you install the Abby Normal brain

keep in mind Igor is one of the smartest Leafs fan

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Well.... yeah, that is exactly why coaches say to get traffic in front of the net. Well, its one of the primary reasons anyhow. It's to screen the goalie, to put yourself in a good spot for a deflection and rebounds as well, but random-puck-bounce-luck is one of the reasons as well.

Hockey is an inherently "luck based" game, more so than almost any other sport I am aware of. People don't like that fact, but it doesn't stop it from being true.

We already got pretty heavy into this back in August when we were all talking about the Chicago series, and I don't want to go down that same rabbit hole, so this will be my last comment on the topic of luck :)

Getting yourself into position to deflect or prevent a deflection is not a matter of luck. Deflections are a skill. Clearing the net is a skill. Putting yourself in position to increase (or decrease) those probabilities is a matter of will, desire, coaching, strength, competitiveness, etc, etc, etc.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Getting yourself into position to deflect or prevent a deflection is not a matter of luck. Deflections are a skill. Clearing the net is a skill. Putting yourself in position to increase (or decrease) those probabilities is a matter of will, desire, coaching, strength, competitiveness, etc, etc, etc.
Eh. I’m not sure Matthew Highmore will score five more deflection goals like that the rest of his entire NHL career.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Defenders tend to deflect pucks into the net when opponents require defenders to be in front of the net. Without opponents crashing the net, most D-men would be smart enough to get out of the way of their goalie, or be further away from their goalie (increasing his vision lanes) to block a shot.

That's called creating your own luck... which means it isn't luck at all, it's probability.

Not saying you can't have "a lucky" or "flukey" goal. But when a bunch of them are happening there is more to it than just luck.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The puck deflecting off of Bear's stick into his own net isn't lucky for Chicago?

Thank you for the lesson, @bucks_oil.

And Highmore having hours of time in the heart of the slot while our D elected to concede that space, allowing two perfect deflections is luck? Ok... and @PandaBear no problem.

Also... if you want my opinion on the Bear deflection, it was at EV and he had two guys in front of the net. Nurse was in rover mode (covering nobody). It wouldn't happened if Bear didn't have to choose and could tie his guy up. He got caught on the way there... you can say bad luck for him, but it was preventable if Nurse had been playing his position = my point.

Reactions: Panda Bear
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad