Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Evaluating the Evaluator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
It's been a while since my last time here. Saw a Puljujärvi video that might be of interest regarding his trade value. Too bad there doesn't seem to be any translation provided. It's a retired player from the Liiga who fools around and does these types of interviews with players. The answers paint a general picture of how things went for JP from the beginning of 2016 to now. A lot of it was old news, but it's good to get a confirmation on some things.

Some notes from the video:
  • After the U20 championship and MVP, he came over feeling very confident about things working out
  • He cites his lack of English skill as the main reason he felt alienated in the locker room
  • He said his 3 years around NA and this season talking in English with the 3 foreign players in Kärpät has made his English overall a lot better, and that he can discuss things in English in the locker room (with a noticeable accent)
  • He didn't specify if he's going to come over next summer or not, leaving the option for another Liiga year on the table, only saying that the next time he crosses the pond he has to feel like he has a realistic shot at being a regular player in the NHL (he didn't say it but I thought it was implied that he's not looking to return to a bottom-6 role)
  • He talked about developing over the 3 years in the Oilers org and this year in Kärpät, and evaluated that he has been able to take great strides forward during all of them, and especially this season
  • He specified that the area he felt he had the most development this year is consistency from night to night and shift to shift
  • He was happy that he could score in the Euro Hockey Tour and play there in a good role, which is higher level than Liiga at least
  • There were some talks in December about him going back with the NHL clause, but he didn't go into the specifics, just that nothing came out of it
  • He didn't touch any of the controversial stuff, agent wasn't mentioned even once, and the interviewer avoided going there either
  • Only Oiler players he talked about were McDavid and Draisaitl and he praised them both
Overall I feel a lot more confident about his trade value after hearing this interview, since he stated that he does aim to return and is only staying in Finland to facilitate returning. He gives off a calmer and more collected air now than in the past, which lends credence to when he says that he has done a lot of growing up during these past couple years. It wasn't talked about in the video at all, but to me it seems obvious that this Liiga thing is just an alternative for AHL in his case, since the old management burned his waiver-free years.

JP for Athanasiou+ next summer?

Though if looking at it from the expansion draft perspective maybe it would actually be best for him to play a second year in Finland before trading, since he could very well get a better return then. The Oilers are in a bit of an expansion bind anyway, and they may want to even protect 3F/5D to be honest, so they would be leaving players like Yamamoto open in that case. I doubt Seattle would take Athanasiou over Yamo, and if they did then that would just equal letting JP walk, which is a perfectly fine way to clear the expansion draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12 and LaGu

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Khaira frustrates the hell out of me but at the end of the day he's 5th on our team in even strength goals (more than RNH mind you) and statistically our best penalty killer as we currently rank 6th in PK.

Of all the bottom-6 wingers we have, he'd be the last one I'd get rid of for the sake of it.

Isn't it funny how everybody hated on Toby Rieder last year yet the same people love Nygard this year despite being virtually the same player.
Rieder lost his wheels a bit over time, Nygard is the faster player now and better/more tenacious on the forecheck cause of it, but is less defensively sound. As a player I agree though that the sum of his parts isn't really any more effective than Rieder upto this point, though his amount of NHL experience is quite light, I don't mind being a bit patient to see if he can progress his game over the course of the year, but if we end up with the same player (or relatively close to) at the end of the year that we started the year with I wouldn't bring him back.

The fanbase is pretty simple, he's the new guy so you forgive mistakes more readily and anyone who has a clear defined physical trait or tool that is easily identifiable tends to get more fan fare.

space321

May 11, 2011
It's been a while since my last time here. Saw a Puljujärvi video that might be of interest regarding his trade value. Too bad there doesn't seem to be any translation provided. It's a retired player from the Liiga who fools around and does these types of interviews with players. The answers paint a general picture of how things went for JP from the beginning of 2016 to now. A lot of it was old news, but it's good to get a confirmation on some things.

Some notes from the video:
  • After the U20 championship and MVP, he came over feeling very confident about things working out
  • He cites his lack of English skill as the main reason he felt alienated in the locker room
  • He said his 3 years around NA and this season talking in English with the 3 foreign players in Kärpät has made his English overall a lot better, and that he can discuss things in English in the locker room (with a noticeable accent)
  • He didn't specify if he's going to come over next summer or not, leaving the option for another Liiga year on the table, only saying that the next time he crosses the pond he has to feel like he has a realistic shot at being a regular player in the NHL (he didn't say it but I thought it was implied that he's not looking to return to a bottom-6 role)
  • He talked about developing over the 3 years in the Oilers org and this year in Kärpät, and evaluated that he has been able to take great strides forward during all of them, and especially this season
  • He specified that the area he felt he had the most development this year is consistency from night to night and shift to shift
  • He was happy that he could score in the Euro Hockey Tour and play there in a good role, which is higher level than Liiga at least
  • There were some talks in December about him going back with the NHL clause, but he didn't go into the specifics, just that nothing came out of it
  • He didn't touch any of the controversial stuff, agent wasn't mentioned even once, and the interviewer avoided going there either
  • Only Oiler players he talked about were McDavid and Draisaitl and he praised them both
Overall I feel a lot more confident about his trade value after hearing this interview, since he stated that he does aim to return and is only staying in Finland to facilitate returning. He gives off a calmer and more collected air now than in the past, which lends credence to when he says that he has done a lot of growing up during these past couple years. It wasn't talked about in the video at all, but to me it seems obvious that this Liiga thing is just an alternative for AHL in his case, since the old management burned his waiver-free years.

JP for Athanasiou+ next summer?

Though if looking at it from the expansion draft perspective maybe it would actually be best for him to play a second year in Finland before trading, since he could very well get a better return then. The Oilers are in a bit of an expansion bind anyway, and they may want to even protect 3F/5D to be honest, so they would be leaving players like Yamamoto open in that case. I doubt Seattle would take Athanasiou over Yamo, and if they did then that would just equal letting JP walk, which is a perfectly fine way to clear the expansion draft.

I've never gotten the impression that Jesse was "not calm" or I guess "arrogant" and "entitled" as I've seen some other people use. Most of those impressions happen when people stand on the side of the Oilers are immediately get mad that he wouldn't play for us. If you look at it from his perspective, it has always been obvious why he chose to go back to Finland temporarily. It's his home, he feels comfortable there, and it's the best place for him to get back on track. He made a very mature decision by taking a step "backwards", because he felt it was the best path for him to reach his goal of the NHL top 6. The AHL is overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad