Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Any More Moves Before Preseason?

Any Moves Other Than a Possible Puljujarvi Trade?/Per Laraque, Brassard on His Way to E-Town!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We're getting into the dog days of summer and it sounds like Holland will try to line up a Puljujarvi trade and not much else. Do you think that it was a smokescreen or are we literally done outside of Jesse?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Said it once before, will say it again.

Gagner for Frolik.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
JxqYBiY.png

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
- Don Waddell to Minnesota
- Peter Chiarelli to Carolina
- Puljujarvi and Russell for Pesce, Haula and conditional 1st.
- Condition is that HFBoards apologizes for tanking Puljujarvi's value.
- Posters refuse, trade doesn't go through.

I wonder how often this is a real thing.

I googled Broberg's WJSS and got a bunch of clips of some guy scoring on Broberg and some gaffawing at Edmonton.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Holland mentioned prices being too high and hopefully going down. There hasn't been any big signing since other than Dzingle which I don't think he was after.
I think he adds another forward for under 1.5M before the season starts.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Quite the free agent crop left

RFA:
Rantanen
Werenski
Connor
Laine
Tkachuk
Boeser
McAvoy
Provorov
Marner
Point
Konecny
and of course, the one and only, Spencer Foo

UFA:
Brassard
Thornton
Williams
Gardiner
Maroon
Boyle
MPS

4 teams are currently over the cap.
6 have less than 2M space
7 have between 2-5M space
8 between 5-10
5 have >10, and 4 of those have 1 or more big ticket RFA's to sign. Other is Ottawa that likely won't be sending any more.

Of course a number of the teams with space are cheap and won't be looking to spend any more, like the ducks, islanders, devils. Canucks probably need to keep lots of space for Petterson's likely 2.9M of bonuses, and somehow need to sign Boeser.

Another weak cap increase and lots of free agents are gonna be taking pennies to be able to play in 20/21.

I wonder if there is a big spike of guys going to arbitration next summer. To try to force deals through, not giving teams a chance to leave you hanging without any cap space left over after everyone else is signed.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Quite the free agent crop left

RFA:
Rantanen
Werenski
Connor
Laine
Tkachuk
Boeser
McAvoy
Provorov
Marner
Point
Konecny
and of course, the one and only, Spencer Foo

UFA:
Brassard
Thornton
Williams
Gardiner
Maroon
Boyle
MPS

4 teams are currently over the cap.
6 have less than 2M space
7 have between 2-5M space
8 between 5-10
5 have >10, and 4 of those have 1 or more big ticket RFA's to sign. Other is Ottawa that likely won't be sending any more.

Of course a number of the teams with space are cheap and won't be looking to spend any more, like the ducks, islanders, devils. Canucks probably need to keep lots of space for Petterson's likely 2.9M of bonuses, and somehow need to sign Boeser.

Another weak cap increase and lots of free agents are gonna be taking pennies to be able to play in 20/21.

I wonder if there is a big spike of guys going to arbitration next summer. To try to force deals through, not giving teams a chance to leave you hanging without any cap space left over after everyone else is signed.
Foo is KHL bound

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That's a shame. Obviously the flames would have had him high on the list to sign. Likely just wants to expand his horizons, or doesn't want to be part of that choker org anymore.

Sounds like he's heading to Kunlun to get eligibility to play for China at the next Olympics.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
That's a shame. Obviously the flames would have had him high on the list to sign. Likely just wants to expand his horizons, or doesn't want to be part of that choker org anymore.

The story I heard was he wanted to be able to play in the next olympics. I'm sure his situation with Calgary was part of it as well.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
PTOs. Maybe Sheahan, Maroon, Brassard, a defenseman.

Waiver wire is a possibility in training camp. Milano, Dal Colle, Petan, Carr, Shore, Verhaeghe.

This site has gone to shit on mobile.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
for sure, Holland has to wait this out if he wants to sign a forward. Do NOT give term unless it is a ridiculous low amount, and don't give an AAV bigger than 2.5 unless it is considered a steal for that player.

If he wants to add a D, it would have to be by trade where we send salary the other way.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I pity the Foo!
Serves him right for picking flames over us.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I think we’ll sign someone either to a pto or normal contract. There’s a lot of quality free agents still out there and Holland’s a notorious negotiator he’s probably in talks with people right now.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wonder if a guy like Rourke Chartier would be worth a PTO or maybe even a two-way contract?

He put up some crazy numbers on that Kelowna team back with Drai and he's had a few decent AHL seasons since. Even had a 13 game cup of coffee with the Sharks last season.

Lots of injuries, but he seems like a decent two-way center with a bit of goal scoring.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It seems a lot of people have already written the season off which given the team's past history is understandable. But it really depends if you want to take a glass half full or glass half empty position. Personally I choose to be an optimist because this is suppose to be fun. The Oilers were 11 points out of a playoff spot last year. But typically it takes a bit more to get in so lets say 14 more points which would give you 93 points and that is slightly above the average over the last 5 years to make it in the West. Statistically every 3 goals you improve your goal differential gets you a point in the standings. That means they need to improve their goal differential by 42 or so goals. That sounds like a lot but if you break it down as 30 fewer goals against and 12 more goals for it is at least possible to see how likely that might be.

Based on the same number of shots they gave up last year to save 25 goals they need a team sv% of .910. Koskinen was .906 last year and Smith was a pretty dismal .898. But the good news is that much of Smith's poor sv% can be attributed to a brutal start to last season when he was fighting a groin injury, something that is deadly for a goalie. From mid January on in his last 18 games Smith had a .910 sv% with a 2.38 gaa and he was s very good in the playoffs. (Rittich also played 18 games over that same span with a .898 sv% and a 2.85 gaa). In the 3 years prior to last year Smith's sv% was .915. As such both players could be at .910 without really having to improve much at all.

In 2016-2017 the team gave up 29.5 shots per game. Last year it was 31.7. If they can split the difference that's 90 fewer shots and at a .910 sv% that saves you 8 more goals. Is this realistic? I think it is. The key will be the health of the defense and in particular the play of Adam Larsson. If Larsson gets anywhere near what he was in 2016-2017 and the defense is mainly healthy I think they have a better defense than in 2016-2017. I also think that the bottom 6 is going to be a fair bit better this year than last defensively and especially on the pk.

Bottom line is that reducing the GA by 30 is not so unrealistic. Less obvious is how they would make up the additional 12 or so goals on the plus side. For that to happen I think you need decent numbers from Neal and no major injuries to any of McDavid, Leon and Nuge. But it most likely happens if the bottom six has any sort of reasonable year. And realistically it is hard to believe that the bottom six can perform as badly as they did last year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->