Rumors: All 31 teams to get 'Reverse Retro' jersey

CanadianCoyote

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario, Canada
It’s really all they have left that they haven’t milked.
They haven't milked the West Coast Express-era design, either. And they only just brought back the Flying V on the Adidas template for last season's anniversary celebrations.

A lot of these are designs which are not already on the Adidas template; your Wild Wings, 90's Pens and Flyers, Vegas Thunder, etc. Makes me think that's going to apply to most of, if not all of these Reverse Retro jerseys.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Well those certainly are different...

But the Stars don't have a third jersey, and haven't since 2014. I see several media reports saying the team will wear this jersey 12-15 times this season, and that these news reports are calling this a third jersey. Makes me think this is different from the reverse-retro jersey plan for this season.

But does that mean Dallas will get 2 new jerseys this year? The thread title rumour says all 31 teams will get a reverse-retro jersey.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Well those certainly are different...

But the Stars don't have a third jersey, and haven't since 2014. I see several media reports saying the team will wear this jersey 12-15 times this season, and that these news reports are calling this a third jersey. Makes me think this is different from the reverse-retro jersey plan for this season.

But does that mean Dallas will get 2 new jerseys this year? The thread title rumour says all 31 teams will get a reverse-retro jersey.
Yes I would assume these are Dallas’s 3rd alt sweater. I don’t think these look like a retro.

Some teams don’t have alts yet like Detroit and Minnesota. I know in Minnesota’s case the winter classics were going to be their alt. So, I think right now Minnesota will just do the retros this year and wait one year to do their alt.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If NYR bring back the Liberty jerseys I AM NOT WATCHING ANYMORE!.

Ok, I'll watch, but those jerseys are absolutely horrendous and I don't understand the obsession fans have with them.

CanadianCoyote

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario, Canada

Ok, I'll watch, but those jerseys are absolutely horrendous and I don't understand the obsession fans have with them.
tenor.gif

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
To each their own. I see nothing awesome about them. A big liberty head in the center instead of their normal logo. For once I'd like to see NYR get a really nice looking jersey, something completely different.
I hate the rangers but the white liberty is gorgeous. The current rumor for the rangers is the liberty template and logo but with the regular primary jersey colors, idk how thats gonna look

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I do not understand the love for those jerseys. At all. They're...fine...ish? In no way are they better than the Rangers normal jerseys and they're full of lousy 90s design traits (darker color for no damn reason, the addition of gray for no damn reason) and jerseys lacking any kind of hem stripe just look weird and bad to me. I've never been fond of that logo, either, it always looked far better on Richter's helmet than with a blocky abbreviation stamped onto it. It's a 90s alternate through and through and it seems to have gotten so much love simply for not being as awful as basically every other alternate jersey of the era (as a Penguins fan these are infinitely more tolerable than what those monsters did to the Penguins branding in the 90s).

Those jerseys just remind me of how bad the Rangers failed to live up to expectations in the late 90s/early 00s. That's a weird era to have nostalgia for. :dunno: I'd get the Richter-induced nostalgia angle better had the Rangers not missed the playoffs for the last six seasons of his career, all whilst wearing these jerseys regularly.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I do not understand the love for those jerseys. At all. They're...fine...ish? In no way are they better than the Rangers normal jerseys and they're full of lousy 90s design traits (darker color for no damn reason, the addition of gray for no damn reason) and jerseys lacking any kind of hem stripe just look weird and bad to me. I've never been fond of that logo, either, it always looked far better on Richter's helmet than with a blocky abbreviation stamped onto it. It's a 90s alternate through and through and it seems to have gotten so much love simply for not being as awful as basically every other alternate jersey of the era (as a Penguins fan these are infinitely more tolerable than what those monsters did to the Penguins branding in the 90s).

Not a Rangers fan, but just like a third jersey that does something bold and unusual.

From that era the Rangers Liberty jersey, the Boston bear jersey, the Calgary flaming horse-head, the Anaheim jersey that's already been announced... Look I wouldn't want any of them to be a full-time jersey, but they were cool in their uniqueness. They didn't just do a colour-swap. They didn't use some lame wordmark. They swung for the fences.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
4cBFjzYdXbtVBrSBNwe0via3j7i0PLuaUr0UTCRo7uQ42R1GCvgIzJuvVtNzXUgY7K_8SBuMrHPCfLiq44BKhC45VEjhdc01BRjwxio

It's a lonely place liking these Flyers jerseys the most.

Nothing wrong with that. (Pound sign) Social Distancing! I still think the Flyers need to go back to the Lindros-era jerseys. That, at least to me, is their "signature look."

I'm curious to see how the Original Six and the Devils do the reverse retro thing.

I remember back in 1995, the Detroit Tigers introduced a navy blue alternate jersey, which was worn for one game and shelved. The reason was because the team president thought "they just don't look like the Tigers." With that in mind, no matter how stylish the Habs, Rangers, or Devils reverse retro jerseys are in a vacuum, I'll bet they'll be jarring simply because of who is wearing them.

Picture the Habs in blue, Rangers in red, or Devils in green or black. Try it.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Can just imagine what Daveart is doing to his pants thinking of all the glow in the dark techy stuff he will want to put on Bishop's alternate mask design

I don't know/ care if I'm in the minority, but I loved his Tampa Bay mask from the 2015 Finals. I'd love to see something like that for the Dallas alternates. Count me as excited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad