Online Series: Rumored Blizzards Diablo Netflix series

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was interested until I read the last line:
revengeofthefans.com said:
While I can’t confirm it just yet, I think it’s a safe bet that this Diablo series will be another animated venture, similar to Castlevania.

I loved the first two Diablo games because of their gritty realism and didn't like that Diablo III was missing some of that. An animated series (if it looks anything like Castlevania) will have even less. It's too bad because I've wanted a live action Diablo film since the 90s.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I agree that a live action series would be best, and a dark and gritty tone is a must.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I was talking it over with a friend who I've played D1 and D2 with and we agree that it has to be a gritty live action series. Anything animated, even Blizzard animated, would just not be worth it.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think Diablo would work better as a movie (or short mini-series like 3-6 episodes)
The amount of actual material for a full length series seems questionable....

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I guess I'll go against the grain and say I think an animated series sounds like the right way to take it. Unless you're Game of Thrones, you're not going to have a TV budget to do this type of fantasy action and have it look any good.

Reactions: NyQuil

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I guess I'll go against the grain and say I think an animated series sounds like the right way to take it. Unless you're Game of Thrones, you're not going to have a TV budget to do this type of fantasy action and have it look any good.

Yeah if Game of Thrones skimps on putting Direwolves on screen how the heck are you going to make a good TV series based on material where it's one guy beating down hordes of undead, monsters, and demons? That's going to require a hell of a CGI budget.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah if Game of Thrones skimps on putting Direwolves on screen how the heck are you going to make a good TV series based on material where it's one guy beating down hordes of undead, monsters, and demons? That's going to require a hell of a CGI budget.
I really don't think they should be trying to emulate the game play of the series in a film or tv series. No one is going to be very entertained by watching hours of dungeon crawling and loot gathering. The series has enough story to it to do something pretty interesting while also tossing in scenes of fighting demons or undead. Diablo came with an entire lore booklet back in 1996 that provided backstory on all the demons and a lot of characters, plus the game was full of exposition about past events. I think you could easily set a story starting with Leoric's rise to power, his descent into madness and Lazurus' scheming and betrayal, and build on things from there.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Games of Thrones didn't either in the first season. But yes, if you want to do Diablo properly, live action is probably far too expensive unless the show took off like Thrones and you never know these days.

Animated is fine depending on the art style. If it's like Castlevania that would be horrible but I can't see them going that way because Castlevania is animated in the Japanese anime style and that wouldn't fit Diablo at all.

I haven't really seen a (western) gritty animation style that really works well. I guess you could do something like Archer which is "more" realistic but even something like Clone Wars wouldn't work.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Games of Thrones didn't either in the first season. But yes, if you want to do Diablo properly, live action is probably far too expensive unless the show took off like Thrones and you never know these days.

Animated is fine depending on the art style. If it's like Castlevania that would be horrible but I can't see them going that way because Castlevania is animated in the Japanese anime style and that wouldn't fit Diablo at all.

I haven't really seen a (western) gritty animation style that really works well. I guess you could do something like Archer which is "more" realistic but even something like Clone Wars wouldn't work.
I think you'd have to go with something similar to Spawn or Batman: The Animated Series (only more gory like Spawn of course).

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Chris Metzen needs to stay far far far away from this. I don't know what happened, but somewhere between D2 and WC3 he went limp and lost what made him awesome, that being the dark, moody and gritty story telling he was able to pull off so successfully in all of his previous works.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I'm not an anime fan, don't like the style and I would be unlikely to watch it at this point. I tried to get into the Castlevania netflix series and just couldn't.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I did play the first two games and the story is very short, but I didn't know about the novels.
There is a ton of story in the first two games, it's just not the plot of the actual games, which is pretty simple and short. All of those tomes, character dialogue, the quest background you get, etc. contains a lot of plot, it's just plot that set up the situation your character has to resolve rather than be a part of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad