NHL Vegas wants to buy AHL team and move it to LV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Multiple NHL Teams Looking At Salt Lake For AHL Affiliate - KSL Sports
@LadyStanley This blog post is full of inaccurate statements but have your heard anything about interest in salt lake city by the flames or knights.
Centrum:

Salt Lake/West Valley City has been an absolute flat out NO.....I believe the same ownership group who rejected the AHL after being sued by both Dallas and Arizona OVER non-payment of the PDC continues to operate the existing franchise operating as the Utah Grizzlies exists..... that's why Gilbert won the rights to Cleveland by buying the franchise after informing San Jose to leave Cleveland, for Worcester in 2006.

Vivint Arena has never hosted hockey even when SLC hosted the Olympics, Centrum, Maverik Center, where the Grizzlies play was the venue used for hockey.

Calgary has no interest and the gentlemen's agreement is you don't enter an existing league's territory unless it's an open market.... Calgary is committed to Stockton and the city has agreed to explore all avenues which is why negotiations are continuing behind closed doors.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Centrum:

Salt Lake/West Valley City has been an absolute flat out NO.....I believe the same ownership group who rejected the AHL after being sued by both Dallas and Arizona OVER non-payment of the PDC continues to operate the existing franchise operating as the Utah Grizzlies exists..... that's why Gilbert won the rights to Cleveland by buying the franchise after informing San Jose to leave Cleveland, for Worcester in 2006.

Vivint Arena has never hosted hockey even when SLC hosted the Olympics, Centrum, Maverik Center, where the Grizzlies play was the venue used for hockey.

Calgary has no interest and the gentlemen's agreement is you don't enter an existing league's territory unless it's an open market.... Calgary is committed to Stockton and the city has agreed to explore all avenues which is why negotiations are continuing behind closed doors.
None of this is relevant to what i posted, i also don't know why you keep bringing up Worcester for no reason when its not relevant to the topic at all.

Reactions: wildcat48

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
None of this is relevant to what i posted, i also don't know why you keep bringing up Worcester for no reason when its not relevant to the topic at all.
you keep bringing up Calgary in this thread: where does it state Calgary has any interest in Utah, Centrum, and based off the Grizzlies history why did they sell the franchise to Gilbert in 2006...... why are the Grizzlies more successful in the ECHL without the headache of having legal suits continue against them..... do your RESEARCH before you hit reply, AND KNOW what you're talking about, you weren't there when the Grizzlies ownership ceded the franchise.

you cannot enter another league's territory without the active franchise being there, Utah ownership wants nothing to do with the AHL, even if it's the same ownership.... last I checked Utah hasn't been sold since the ownership returned to the E, Secondly, Maverik Center is the hockey arena, the Miller trust nor the Jazz operators ever had a hockey franchise in their arena, the SLC Stars ARE THE CO-TENANTS there at Vivint Arena

Last edited:

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Multiple NHL Teams Looking At Salt Lake For AHL Affiliate - KSL Sports

Story out of SLC about possible AHL team to SLC (or Boise).

Quotes Foley from 2016 about possible affiliate locations of Reno, Fresno, SLC or Boise.
The author gets a few of his facts wrong such as. "Right now they share the Chicago Wolves with the Chicago Blackhawks" and there is no reason why they would be eyeing the jazz's arena over the maverick center. The jazz's arena is built for basketball

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The author gets a few of his facts wrong such as. "Right now they share the Chicago Wolves with the Chicago Blackhawks" and there is no reason why they would be eyeing the jazz's arena over the maverick center. The jazz's arena is built for basketball

which goes to my point, that KSL knows nothing about Utah's hockey past, or its history, the Salt Lake Shootout likely is a one time thing

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

I read an article around the time Vegas made the finals where fans in Utah were supporting the Golden Knights like crazy, I also like the idea of expanding the game so I personally believe that Vegas should buy Calgary's AHL team and consider Salt Lake City, Utah. I mean Calgary should too if not Vegas. But Salt Lake City would make more sense if Golden Knights fans want to check on the prospects considering it's not too far away. I also like the idea because it opens a door for Idaho to join the AHL considering Boise isn't that far away either.

But if not Calgary take over the Chicago Wolves, maybe the Sharks could sell their affiliate and take over the Chicago Wolves. Unless the Blues go back to the Wolves and San Jose or Calgary take over the Rampage.

By the way, I believe this thread should be called: Vegas looking to put an AHL Team in Las Vegas.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I think it made perfect sense for Vegas to be in Chicago with the lack of prospect and Wolves wanting to maintain its independence, but I believe as time moves on that Vegas will follow the path of the rest of the NHL teams and move closer. It's just how the AHL is operated today. I believe Calgary could look at Boise - nothing to back that up other than its closer to Calgary. I still think Vancouver is bound for the west coast at some point so we're not seeing a shakeup of musical chairs in the AHL.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I think it made perfect sense for Vegas to be in Chicago with the lack of prospect and Wolves wanting to maintain its independence, but I believe as time moves on that Vegas will follow the path of the rest of the NHL teams and move closer. It's just how the AHL is operated today. I believe Calgary could look at Boise - nothing to back that up other than its closer to Calgary. I still think Vancouver is bound for the west coast at some point so we're not seeing a shakeup of musical chairs in the AHL.
Assuming there is some truth to the articles reporting. Vancouver could have been the second team looking at Boise or Utah. The Wolfpack are up at the end of the year at the xl center. Utica is not up till 2021 though.

Last edited:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Assuming there is some truth to the articles reporting. Vancouver could have been the second team looking at Boise or Utah. The Wolfpack are up at the end of the year at the xl center. Utica is not up till 2021 though.
Utica just signed a new deal in Dec 2018 for "up to six" additional years. They might have an out clause after 2021, but I think the current contract runs through 2024-2025 season if they don't opt out.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Utica just signed a new deal in Dec 2018 for "up to six" additional years. They might have an out clause after 2021, but I think the current contract runs through 2024-2025 season if they don't opt out.
I was referring to the out clause.I should have been more clear on that.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I read an article around the time Vegas made the finals where fans in Utah were supporting the Golden Knights like crazy, I also like the idea of expanding the game so I personally believe that Vegas should buy Calgary's AHL team and consider Salt Lake City, Utah. I mean Calgary should too if not Vegas. But Salt Lake City would make more sense if Golden Knights fans want to check on the prospects considering it's not too far away. I also like the idea because it opens a door for Idaho to join the AHL considering Boise isn't that far away either.

But if not Calgary take over the Chicago Wolves, maybe the Sharks could sell their affiliate and take over the Chicago Wolves. Unless the Blues go back to the Wolves and San Jose or Calgary take over the Rampage.

By the way, I believe this thread should be called: Vegas looking to put an AHL Team in Las Vegas.

NHL Vegas has done a bus tour of the intermountain region prior to every season. They do a half day of hockey clinic and player/broadcaster/mascot meet and greets. Utah, Idaho, Montanna have been among the states. So no wonder Utah/SLC has been following the Golden Knights.

Until and unless Plattner sells his majority interest (and a new majority owner has a change of heart) there won't be a relocation of NHL San Jose's AHL affiliate. The organization likes how it's set up. (The only thing that might change is relocating to a smaller venue than SAP Center: a new rink at the practice facility, which has been on the drawing board for at least a decade.)

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

It's only a three-year deal with an extension for three more years. The speculation was at the time they were going to wait on Seattle before making any move.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

Hartford is not going anywhere at the moment, and if they do it will be closer to NY City. MSG is in the process of spinning it sports and entertainment into two separate companies.

HRAds

Apr 13, 2007

Wrong.

The Salt Lake Golden Eagles played at the Delta Center (now Vivint Arena) before being sold and moved to Detroit and the Utah Grizzlies before they moved out to the E Center. Is it a great venue for hockey? No, it was built for basketball but that should not stop a team from playing there if they had an ownership group that wanted to give it a go.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Wrong.

The Salt Lake Golden Eagles played at the Delta Center (now Vivint Arena) before being sold and moved to Detroit and the Utah Grizzlies before they moved out to the E Center. Is it a great venue for hockey? No, it was built for basketball but that should not stop a team from playing there if they had an ownership group that wanted to give it a go.
depends on who the owner is but Utah is unlikely after the 2001-2006 "experiment".... you don't want another Cincinnati fiasco, for one thing, and it's a surprise the Cyclones have recovered from that

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Only the first two seasons are guaranteed on that deal.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
SLC needs an AHL team at Vivint Smarthome Arena. We are too big of a city for just ECHL. If the team is downtown the rapidly expanding young professionals who live on the NE side of the city will come out and support the team in droves

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
SLC needs an AHL team at Vivint Smarthome Arena. We are too big of a city for just ECHL. If the team is downtown the rapidly expanding young professionals who live on the NE side of the city will come out and support the team in droves

no city needs a hockey team, if that was the case, where was SLC and their fanbase not supporting the existing franchise when the business decision was made to return to the ECHL.

Henderson Finest

Oct 13, 2019
Rumor is that Calgary wants its club close enough to an airport that has direct flights to and from Calgary. Right now, a player from Stockton needs a 90 minute ride to SFO to accomplish that feat, even though you can get to Calgary through Vancouver from Sacramento. It is the reason I mentioned the Heat relocating to Chicago and the Knights moving closer. By the way, Alliegent Air has direct flights from Stockton to Vegas. The way Calgary runs their farm teams it may make sense for them to NOT own their farm club. If Vegas did occupy the Stockton Arena, it would not surprise me if they just bought it from the city and made all of the improvements themselves. Vegas always does stuff over-the-top and this would be in line with what it appears to be their business practices. The cross promotion between the Knights and Wolves (or Heat) would be impressive. Maybe they would even try to market the team (what?????) to increase attendance. Plus, being in San Jose's backyard would make the NHL rivalry even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad