Rumor: No weighted draft lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontrealCruiser_83*

Blueshirts4me said:
This is so bleeping absurd. If one more fan comes in and says you never know what would have happened this year, I gonna flip a bleep. They should do a weighted lottery, no matter what.
Well what we do know is that all teams went 0-0-0. So in theory, all teams finished even and therefore should have an even shot in the lottery.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
King_Brown said:
Only fair way to go about this great situation. It will hopefully be a great new world for the Calgary Flames the leagues model franchise with the best player in the world. Hopefully we can get the 1st overall pick and get Crosby to play alongside a mega super duper star like Jarome "The Superstar" Iginla, and Dion "The next great one" Phanuef.

wtf

:propeller :biglaugh: :propeller

Spungo*

MontrealCruiser_83 said:
Well what we do know is that all teams went 0-0-0. So in theory, all teams finished even and therefore should have an even shot in the lottery.

Ha, good point. But the main thing all the pro-weighted lottery people seem to forget is that the teams that existed in 2004 no longer exist. When you lose half your team to free agency due to these remarkable circumstances, it's not fair to seed them for the draft based on the teams they *used* to be rather than the teams they are now. NHL rosters are going to be radically different in 2005.

King_Brown

Predictions based on rosters is usless to take into account. Quit crying Pittsburgh and New York, its not our fault your teams sucked the last 4 years. Look at the NFL, and the Chargers. Would it be fair to just hand them the 1st overall pick last year because everyone felt there roster sucked. They went 12-4 and picked what 28th overall last year. Take into account, we don't know what injuries could of happened, what teams might be just lazy, hot streaks, cinderlla teams and so on. Its only fair that if there is no season, every team is on even terms, because thats how the season starts, and since there was no season we still are on even terms.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Blueshirts4me said:
This is so bleeping absurd. If one more fan comes in and says you never know what would have happened this year, I gonna flip a bleep. They should do a weighted lottery, no matter what.

You aren't being rational. The payoff for the 03-04 standings was the 2004 draft. As I said earlier, the slate is now clean. This isn't a normal entry draft year, it can't be treated like one.

The best sollution would be to combine two drafts next year, but that is not going to happen. So since it's not, this has to be started fresh, I have no problem at all with every team having an equal chance at it. I see this no different that a complete dispersal draft would be, totally random order.

Spungo*

MontrealCruiser_83 said:
Actually it does. Why would advertising and sponsorship agencies be interested in a star hockey player who unfortunately tops out at page 2 of the sport section on a slow day.

Basketball is a DISTANT 3rd place in Toronto, yet Vince Carter was the king of this city for a good 5 years. Despite being an athlete in a 3rd rate sport (in Toronto) he made more advertising $ than any other athlete in Canada.

Every city likes to have a superstar. If Crosby is the phenom that some people think he can be, he will be front page of the sports section in New York. Messier was a household name back in 1994. Dating Madonna, going on Letterman, etc.

Spungo*

King_Brown said:
Predictions based on rosters is usless to take into account. Quit crying Pittsburgh and New York, its not our fault your teams sucked the last 4 years. Look at the NFL, and the Chargers. Would it be fair to just hand them the 1st overall pick last year because everyone felt there roster sucked. They went 12-4 and picked what 28th overall last year. Take into account, we don't know what injuries could of happened, what teams might be just lazy, hot streaks, cinderlla teams and so on. Its only fair that if there is no season, every team is on even terms, because thats how the season starts, and since there was no season we still are on even terms.

We also don't have a clue what teams will frickin' look like next year. Nobody knows who will have the best roster or the worst roster. More than half the league are free agenst for crying out loud! Basing draft picks on previous standings is insane.

King_Brown

Spungo said:
We also don't have a clue what teams will frickin' look like next year. Nobody knows who will have the best roster or the worst roster. More than half the league are free agenst for crying out loud! Basing draft picks on previous standings is insane.

I don't know what your saying, but what I said is I suppourt the 1 ball per team idea 100%, and always have thought it was the right way to go. Every team deserves a shot at Crosby.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
gerbilanium said:
As a Flames fan I think that is the fairest way, even though having the hope of having 3 balls (in the lottery of course) makes this system sting a bit. More of a justification of keeping potential solutions under wraps with no leaks.

As a Flames fan i feel teh weighted lotery was much more fair.

If theres just gonna be one ball for each team maybe for the first overall pcik they can eliminate some teams right off the bat and add them after teh first pick has been taken. Knock out the teams that drafted in the top 5 in 2004 and knock out the 5 best statistical teams aswell. This way a team like Washington who some feel bombed on purpose doesn't get Ovechkin and Crosby but a team like Detroit doesn't end up wiht him either. they still will have there shots at a high end pick just not the main prize.

I dont beleive what those meat heads on the radio are saying. Especially in Montreal, my god talk about the worst place to take anything said by the media as fact. I would beleive George W Bush before i would beleive the Quebec media. haha

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mr.Hunter74 said:
I dont beleive what those meat heads on the radio are saying. Especially in Montreal, my god talk about the worst place to take anything said by the media as fact. I would beleive George W Bush before i would beleive the Quebec media. haha

Care to justify that comment?

It is kind of insulting.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Even putting my Leafs fan bias aside, this is still the best system as far as I am concerned. Basing a draft on results as far as 3-5 years ago is stupid. Everything about sports is what did you do for me today, not what did you do 5 years ago. Hasek was probably the best goaltender in the league 5 years ago. Brodeur wasn't considered the undisputed best 5 years ago. The Flames were in the middle of their missing the playoffs slump. The Leafs had just started their return to the playoffs after a few years of crapulence.

Despite the fact that you see some usual suspects in the playoffs, the league chances from year to year. One year a team finishes first in their division, the next, they are battling for 8th place. Taking away the advantage of tanking in previous years takes away a chance to double your pleasure to see a terrible team iced.

I still wouldn't be upset at the alternating rounds draft concept where the 1st pick drops to 30th in round 2 and back to 1 in round 3, but I am definatley in favour of the 1 ball per team method.

If he ends up in a Detroit, Toronto, Colorado, etc. you can guarantee that the fans will be there to support and admire his abilities. If he ends up in any other Canadian city, Minnesota, Columbus, etc. you can also guarantee an appreciation of his talent, and most likely will see the sell-outs if he pans out as the NHL player his prospect status projects. And if he ends up in a small-market, non-traditional hockey market, you can hope he turns the city around and brings the game up front and personal in the region, and hopefully in the rest of the NHL.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I allways said this was the fair way to do the draft but i swear if one of Detroit,Toronto,Colorado,SL,Dallas or NYR get the first pick i'm going to puke all over my TV or monitor the day it happens. Sorry to sound harsh fans but these teams are the reason theres a lockout and don't deserve #1.

Munchausen

MontrealCruiser_83 said:

How convenient isn't it? I'm sure the teams that flirted with mediocrity for the last 5 years might think different.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
me2 said:
Which prompts the question, just how brutal are the NHLs plans for getting overspenders under the cap if they are prepared to go equal odds for all teams in the draft?

if they were still making money then they weren't "overspending" now were they?

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
T@T said:
I allways said this was the fair way to do the draft but i swear if one of Detroit,Toronto,Colorado,SL,Dallas or NYR get the first pick i'm going to puke all over my TV or monitor the day it happens. Sorry to sound harsh fans but these teams are the reason theres a lockout and don't deserve #1.

No the reason there was a lockout was because there were teams that were losing money with 20 million dollar payrolls. The big market teams contributed to the problems of the NHL, but if you honestly think that it is a one-sided ownership problem, then you have problems.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
Spungo said:
Every city likes to have a superstar. If Crosby is the phenom that some people think he can be, he will be front page of the sports section in New York. Messier was a household name back in 1994. Dating Madonna, going on Letterman, etc.

Crosby could be the next Gretzky, but he has to win. That's the bottom line in New York. Messier made the splash that he did because he turned the franchise into a champion. The expectations on Sid would be enormous; being good in one thing, but it has to translate into victories.

jacketracket*

EroCaps said:
It would be hard to stomach to see the Jackets or Thrashers get a #1. Less so w/the Caps in that they've drafted top 5 like once in 20 years, and I'm a fan. ;)
Good point.

Columbus has drafted 4th, 8th, 1st (by trade, swapping up from their 3rd), and 8th (by trade, swapping down from their 4th). Not exactly earth-shattering.

Tell us again about some of the personnel movement the Caps made, in finishing low enough to lottery into the Ovechkin sweepstakes.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pretty long and growing thread for an unlinked rumor.

You all know my opinion on this so I will not restate the obvious answer as to what is right.

BTW, I was a bit worried about this until I heard on the radio here that they will actually be basing the draft order on a lottery where the 2003-4 bottom five teams have 85 of the 90 balls in the hopper. Rest of the bottom teams get one ball each. The rest of the draft will be based on your 2003-4 finish.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Jaded-Fan said:
BTW, I was a bit worried about this until I heard on the radio here that they will actually be basing the draft order on a lottery where the 2003-4 bottom five teams have 85 of the 90 balls in the hopper. Rest of the bottom teams get one ball each. The rest of the draft will be based on your 2003-4 finish.

I'm guessing that is totally made up. Unless you want to name an actual source for this nonsense.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Epsilon said:
I'm guessing that is totally made up. Unless you want to name an actual source for this nonsense.

:D . . . I was following the spirit of the thread . . . and several threads like this that have sprung up in the past that never do generate a link (when you know any legit . . . and even lots of not legit . . . rumors would find its way into print to be linked somewhere).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
But if you all will agree to only protect 3 players on your rosters and add in a league wide dispersal draft of all players, sign me on for one team one ball. If you all truly believe all teams are pretty much equal, everyone is going to be 'gutted' then step up and prove it, then I will sign on to a fair one team one ball draft.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Epsilon said:

Actually the last linkable reporter with sources who commented on the draft says the opposite of this thread, posting only 6 hours ago:

Then there's the draft. It's likely all teams will be included in a weighted lottery, with the 2003-04 standings determining which teams have the best shot at the No. 1 pick. It's a major issue because there is an enormous prize at stake: Quebec phenom Sidney Crosby.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3686628

And yet we are to believe that no reporter got wind of the gospel rumor that forms the basis of this thread to put it to print. What a bunch of crap . . . .and has sprung up in this way several times over the past few months . . . never linked though days and days and weeks of posts go by in the thread

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->