Rumor: No weighted draft lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yvon Peldnault (who is anually ranked by THN as 1 of hockey's 100 most influential people) just stated on RDS (french TSN) that Bettman's plans to have a weighted lottery system have been abolished.

Teams reportedly would rather each have 1 shot out of 30 to win the lottery.

I'm just the messenger here.

edit: here's another poster who heard it too... http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=146727

Last edited:

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Which teams?

I can't imagine Columbus, Rangers, Washington, Chicago, Phoneix, Florida, or Pittsburgh are too keen on one ball per team . . . . though I guess Toronto, Philly, Detroit, and Colorado are all ready to wet themselves with excitement.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Got any links???

I really wanted to see Crosby in Atlanta or Columbus and there was a really good chance he'd end up in one of those markets, now its 2/30 chance .... IF this is true.. I won't believe it until I see a link or on tv.

Monty

Aug 31, 2004
That's fine with me if the unweighted lottery is solely for the purpose of determining which team will get the first pick in the draft, and then the remainder of the first round selection order is based on the reverse standings for the last season played, i.e., 2003-04.

But then I am a Caps fan and that means they would pick no worse than No. 4.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
HockeyCritter said:
Which teams?

I can't imagine Columbus, Rangers, Washington, Chicago, Phoneix, Florida, or Pittsburgh are too keen on one ball per team . . . . though I guess Toronto, Philly, Detroit, and Colorado are all ready to wet themselves with excitement.

As a Caps fan, I'd rather one out of 30 than Bettman's plan. It promised a bottom 15 for WSH and top 5-10 for ATL/CLB.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
I care more about losing my top five pick than I do about losing Crosby (which we only had a small chance of getting).

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Which prompts the question, just how brutal are the NHLs plans for getting overspenders under the cap if they are prepared to go equal odds for all teams in the draft?

think-blue-

Sep 28, 2002
Visit site
Monty said:
That's fine with me if the unweighted lottery is solely for the purpose of determining which team will get the first pick in the draft, and then the remainder of the first round selection order is based on the reverse standings for the last season played, i.e., 2003-04.

But then I am a Caps fan and that means they would pick no worse than No. 4.

I doubt that scenario happens...I think itd be more likely for them to snake the first two rounds.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
HockeyCritter said:
I care more about losing my top five pick than I do about losing Crosby (which we only had a small chance of getting).

Washington and Pittsburgh almost as slim a chance at a top 5 w/Bettman's plan. If this *rumor* sticks, at least the high-end talent this year is distributed randomly. It would be hard to stomach to see the Jackets or Thrashers get a #1. Less so w/the Caps in that they've drafted top 5 like once in 20 years, and I'm a fan. ;)

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
I know, can you imagine Atlanta with the number one pick!! Good for them, bad for the rest of us in the SE.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Why would the League need to fix the Rangers chances? I would think missing the playoffs for seven straight years is enough to ensure them a decent chance at Crosby.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
HockeyCritter said:
I know, can you imagine Atlanta with the number one pick!! Good for them, bad for the rest of us in the SE.

Yeah, I was thinking through their high picks and after Kovalchuck, Heatley, and Coburn I threw up a little bit in my mouth- and then I remembered Lehtonen. Who in the SE wants to see that in a couple years?. :D

SENSible1*

me2 said:
Which prompts the question, just how brutal are the NHLs plans for getting overspenders under the cap if they are prepared to go equal odds for all teams in the draft?

Exactly.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Tampa is very good now (obviously) if they can hang on to Khabibulan and St. Louis.

Atlanta, Washington and Florida all have a very bright future thanks to the prospects they've drafted since 2001.

Carolina on the other hand... Well management managed to mess up as usual.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
EroCaps said:
Yeah, I was thinking through their high picks and after Kovalchuck, Heatley, and Coburn I threw up a little bit in my mouth- and then I remembered Lehtonen. Who in the SE wants to see that in a couple years?. :D
We do - - - providing Semin, Ovechkin, Ouellet, Fehr and company live up to their potential . . . . I see lots of Cap-Thrasher fighting for first in our future (a few seasons down the road)

(And don't forget Florida, they could be scary good very soon - - - I think the SE is going from least to beast pretty soon)

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
As an Avs fan, this report puts a little smile on my face...especially since many fans of small market teams want to see the large market teams get screwed over every which way possible. I'd be in heaven if Colorado could somehow land a top 5 pick. However, I'm all about what's fair. I believe it is morally wrong to give all teams an equal chance at Crosby. Shame on the NHL for going against Bettman's proposal if this comes to pass.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Why would the League need to fix the Rangers chances? I would think missing the playoffs for seven straight years is enough to ensure them a decent chance at Crosby.

well not any more if this is the real plan!

I just want my top five pick dagnabbit!!!

yeah i'd like one too...honestly i'm gonna be so pissed if a team like philly or the devils gets a top 5 pick, hell even a top 10 pick. what a joke

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Hasbro said:
As an Avs fan any lottery probably helps us as we usualy draft in the bottom 6.
As a Wing fan I don't mind either as we usually draft in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad