Rumor: Neal Pionk to Vegas

patricafdw

Mar 21, 2017
Göteborg
In case you've missed this sinbin article.

"Lots of interest in UMD college free agent defenseman Neal Pionk. A good 20 teams showing interest in the sophomore. Vegas in the mix." - @CraigCustance

I also think there is a great point in the quote:

"...“college free agents would be stupid†to sign anywhere else but Vegas, implying the playing time and opportunity here is unlike anywhere in the Original 30." - Jason @ SinBin

What are your thoughts?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
He'd be crazy not to sign. The only other Vegas player right now is "Raoul" Duke (I'm sure his first words to Pionk would be "Get in!") so the field is wide open.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Neal Pionk

What are your thoughts?

So he would sign an ELC, right.
He might start in the AHL.
If we can get him for free, why not. But if there are 20 other teams he might sign with a real team. We have lots of question marks, not even a coach yet.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
So he would sign an ELC, right.
He might start in the AHL.
If we can get him for free, why not. But if there are 20 other teams he might sign with a real team. We have lots of question marks, not even a coach yet.

The advantage Vegas has over other teams is opportunity. Sure there will be a lot of competition taken in the expansion draft but with trades and injuries and so on he could wind up in the "Biglies" a lot more quickly than with any other organization.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
The advantage Vegas has over other teams is opportunity. Sure there will be a lot of competition taken in the expansion draft but with trades and injuries and so on he could wind up in the "Biglies" a lot more quickly than with any other organization.

If Foley wants a tough and gritty team I don't see him get a chance. Sure not all need to be tough, but still. If we can get him for free there's nothing to lose.
Who knows who his favorite team is or his favorite player, that would be a priority for me.
He also could think that we will be loaded with Top 4 D and competition would be strong. At his age he might need 2 years in the AHL anyway.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
If Foley wants a tough and gritty team I don't see him get a chance. Sure not all need to be tough, but still. If we can get him for free there's nothing to lose.
Who knows who his favorite team is or his favorite player, that would be a priority for me.
He also could think that we will be loaded with Top 4 D and competition would be strong. At his age he might need 2 years in the AHL anyway.

A lot would also depend on what the other teams are offering but I can't see how they could beat Vegas - even if his style of play differs from what the higher ups want. It is an expansion team and you sign who you can while leaving the sorting out to the coaches in camp.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
No clear indication of what his opportunity will or will not be. After the expansion draft it's possible other franchises will have more of a vacancy. And given that more is known about the coaching staffs, the AHL situation, etc, I see an established franchise having a lot more appeal.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
No clear indication of what his opportunity will or will not be. After the expansion draft it's possible other franchises will have more of a vacancy. And given that more is known about the coaching staffs, the AHL situation, etc, I see an established franchise having a lot more appeal.

I agree - clarity in a situation like this may be appealing to a young free agent. But why wouldn't a blank page situation be equally, if not more attractive? Sure there's going to be an expansion draft where 7-8 number 4-5 defensemen will be claimed but some of these guys will probably be weeded out well before camp.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
A lot would also depend on what the other teams are offering but I can't see how they could beat Vegas

He will likely get the max from every team, 925k NHL, 70k AHL, 92k signing bonus, only performance bonus might differ but they are hard to reach.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
He will likely get the max from every team, 925k NHL, 70k AHL, 92k signing bonus, only performance bonus might differ but they are hard to reach.
That's a HUGE difference. That's were other teams can't beat Vegas. He'll have an opportunity to earn an NHL salary right from training camp. Many teams will have a lot of depth in prospects and some with a lot of NHL contracts to fit in.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
That's a HUGE difference. That's were other teams can't beat Vegas. He'll have an opportunity to earn an NHL salary right from training camp. Many teams will have a lot of depth in prospects and some with a lot of NHL contracts to fit in.

It just depends on how we build the team. If we use the expansion draft as an auction and trade most drafted players, sure Pionk can have a chance for a few NHL games when injuries occur. But I think he isn't ready for the NHL yet.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
It just depends on how we build the team. If we use the expansion draft as an auction and trade most drafted players, sure Pionk can have a chance for a few NHL games when injuries occur. But I think he isn't ready for the NHL yet.

Yeah - it should be a rule of thumb (Especially for an expansion team not really knowing how the first year is going to unfold) that all prospects start the year in the A or E. Even if it's only for a brief time it helps them learn more about professional hockey and sends the message that they have to earn their place in the biglies.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Been watching him through the NCAA playoffs. He's a real smooth and smart puck mover. Dude is small, but really like his game.

He'll probably show pretty well in the AHL. But of course the NHL is a whole different deal for a small guy like him. I'd definitely chase him though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->