Friedman: Rumor has it Bobrovsky has provided a trade list

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
Florida makes the most sense to me.
Lou is at the end of his career and Reimer is no starting goalie.
With Bob they could compete.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I would take him in St Louis for a one year run, but not at the cost of Kyrou or Thomas. We would have to send back Allen to make it fit and I doubt we could afford the price while keeping both Thomas and Kyrou. If only we had more Berglund's and Sobotka's to offer ....

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Fair but what is the probability they are as good as Bob? Hard to predict. But I get your point of sticking with the youth. I want the Habs to do the same.
Obviously " The Bob" is better now but as a rebuilding team the focus isn't on Now. The signing of Lehner for one year, is a hint at what they were thinking. They wouldn't move Sorokin for Duchene, as part of the package so it's obvious they hold him in high regard.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Obviously " The Bob" is better now but as a rebuilding team the focus isn't on Now. The signing of Lehner for one year, is a hint at what they were thinking

It's not rocket science if they have faith in their goalie prospects. It comes down to what Lou is planing for today vs the future. Does he balance both or is he solely focused on building around Barzal and the youth.

Think of it this way though... why even sign Lehner at all? Why not go with Greiss and give yourself a better chance at a lottery pick?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
It's not rocket science if they have faith in their goalie prospects. It comes down to what Lou is planing for today vs the future. Does he balance both or is he solely focused on building around Barzal and the youth.
agreed but that's why not moving him in a Duchene package while Tavares was still there is relevant. They REALLY had to love him to pass on Duchene. It might have cost them Tavares.

We will never know of course. But Duchene and Tavares were close, so it could be.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
But if the Islanders think he wants to go to NY in the offseason, why not just get him for free?
It's always a risk, no way around it.

Is he traded to another team, and re-signs with them? Does he decide to stay in Columbus? Does he just not want to play for the Islanders?

They trade for him now, they get exclusive negotiating rights for several months, gets a feel for the team/management. (and that could also be a good/bad thing, depending how it goes)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
agreed but that's why not moving him in a Duchene package while Tavares was still there is relevant. They REALLY had to love him to pass on Duchene. It might have cost them Tavares.

Nah, There was no moves they could of made to make Tavares stay. That train left years ago. Tavares saw the Leafs direction and it fit. It was clear he was not re-signing and he was just saying the right things until his UFA door opened.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It's always a risk, no way around it.

Is he traded to another team, and re-signs with them? Does he decide to stay in Columbus? Does he just not want to play for the Islanders?

They trade for him now, they get exclusive negotiating rights for several months, gets a feel for the team/management. (and that could also be a good/bad thing, depending how it goes)

That's not going to be worth what Columbus is going to be asking.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Nah, There was no moves they could of made to make Tavares stay. That train left years ago. Tavares saw the Leafs direction and it fit. It was clear he was not re-signing and he was just saying the right things until his UFA door opened.
I tend to agree with that now. But the man was so convincing for so long. All his talk about loyalty and wanting to be like his idol his uncle (one team, for life) saying I Want To Be An Islander 7 million times. He sure fooled me.

I have 3 signed Tavares Jerseys in my closet. I paid almost $800 for to remind me how badly I was fooled

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Who are CLB goalies behind Bobrovsky?

For now, Korpisalo would be the starter if Bob is traded. In the AHL, the Jackets have Jean-Francois Berube and Matiss Kivlenieks.

Next year, Latvian goalie Elvis Merzlikins (he plays in Switzerland) would likely compete with Korpi. Rumors were he was trying to get out of his Swiss contract to come over this year. They drafted 21 year old Veini Vehviläinen in the 2018 draft and he's leading Liiga in GAA and save percentage so far this season.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
That's not going to be worth what Columbus is going to be asking.
If they get their guy and he re-signs, it might.

I personally don't believe in giving up assets for rentals. I'd imagine they'd do everything in their power to make sure he would. IF they paid the price.

If not, then yea, maybe he just goes via UFA. But then they have competition.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I tend to agree with that now. But the man was so convincing for so long. All his talk about loyalty and wanting to be like his idol his uncle (one team, for life) saying I Want To Be An Islander 7 million times. He sure fooled me.

I don't recall any superstar player like Tavares that ends his relationship on our sour note. He played his cards well and said the right things. I recall people saying it was similar to Stamkos and it wasn't. Taxes and a team core were the major differences. Yzerman knew what he was doing and the leverage he had. Islanders did not have any leverage other than believing in loyalty.

I feel for Islanders fan. If Price did this to the Habs, Id be pissed off! Pissed off towards our GM for not getting something for him and Price for leaving us hang out to dry.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
For now, Korpisalo would be the starter if Bob is traded. In the AHL, the Jackets have Jean-Francois Berube and Matiss Kivlenieks.

Next year, Latvian goalie Elvis Merzlikins (he plays in Switzerland) would likely compete with Korpi. Rumors were he was trying to get out of his Swiss contract to come over this year. They drafted 21 year old Veini Vehviläinen in the 2018 draft and he's leading Liiga in GAA and save percentage so far this season.
So lots of depth and prospects but no real proven #1 G? Seems strange that they'd move on from Bob with such a good young squad.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Florida makes the most sense to me.
Lou is at the end of his career and Reimer is no starting goalie.
With Bob they could compete.

Holy hell, Luongo still has 3 more years on his contract after this year.

Cant see it happening unless they buy him out

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
St. Louis bound?

I'd be surprised. Don't think we can afford what he wants long-term and doubt we would give up significant assets in the hopes that Bob would somehow fix all of our current problems. Plus, Blues fans are still stinging from the Ryan Miller debacle.

Reactions: 67Blues

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I don't recall any superstar player like Tavares that ends his relationship on our sour note. He played his cards well and said the right things. I recall people saying it was similar to Stamkos and it wasn't. Taxes and a team core were the major differences. Yzerman knew what he was doing and the leverage he had. Islanders did not have any leverage other than believing in loyalty.

I feel for Islanders fan. If Price did this to the Habs, Id be pissed off! Pissed off towards our GM for not getting something for him and Price for leaving us hang out to dry.
trust me, we are, he's not called Traitor91, and one of the "Twin Who res of Toronto" for nothing. his wife Aryne Fuller is Jezebel too. There is no love for him here anymore.in fact I feel bad for leaf fans, waiting 50 years for a Cup, they are so excited to have him. but they picked up a truckload of bad Karma. i may be dead wrong, but i dont see it working out

Last edited:
Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
trust me, we are, he's not called Traitor91, and one of the "Twin Who res of Toronto" for nothing. his wife Aryne Fuller is Jezebel too. There is no love for him here anymore.

If he was loyal but had plans of leaving, he should of told management there was a real possibility of him leaving as a UFA. Heck, he could of won a cup last year if a team like the Preds were able to snag him for a playoff run.

You guys have every right to be pissed off! Hopefully you get some future luck and a few Barzal hits with your picks.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What is he unhappy with? It is the coach? Is the the environment? Is it just the team isn't going to be a playoff threat? Depending on what is it, some of these teams being talked about as good fits might not be a fit afterall. What is he looking for? A winning team? A better pay day?

Look at all the goalies (many European) that the CBJ have drafted "recently". While many/all of them aren't "big names", AFTER KORPISALO, they have AT LEAST 2 goalie prospects with LEGIT NHL potential/ability.

They have been preparing for "this" for a while. If his contract was a year shorter, this would have happened LAST YEAR. They have given him plenty of opportunities to prove himself in "tough" situation, and he has failed each time.

I think the team was prepared to be "professional" and ALLOW him to play out his contract this year and planned on moving on without him. But, they're also not going to let an entire season go down the drain because of a goalie who isn't happy because he isn't part of their plans going forward.

I think its safe to say, the "talks" between Bob and Jarmo/JD/management haven't gone very smoothly.

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
So lots of depth and prospects but no real proven #1 G? Seems strange that they'd move on from Bob with such a good young squad.

How exactly could they be a "proven #1G"??

And also, its not THAT strange, if you've watched him play.

This entire year (preseason included), 80% of the playoffs, 1st 2 weeks of each season, 1st 5 minutes of each game and the last 3 minutes of any period.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->