Friedman: Rumor has it Bobrovsky has provided a trade list

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Isles aren't going to make a panic trade for Bobrovsky with him looking the way he has so far this season. Plus Lehner has played exceptionally well.

I'm sure the Isles will pursue Bobrovsky in free agency, I doubt they have any interest bringing him in during the season and giving up any assets. The Isles are in rebuild mode, it's wishful thinking that they'd bail out CBJ out of this mess.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Isles aren't going to make a panic trade for Bobrovsky with him looking the way he has so far this season. Plus Lehner has played exceptionally well.
I don't think an Iles trade for Bob would be a panic trade. The link to the Islanders is the past history of Lou going out and getting a solid goalie.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't think an Iles trade for Bob would be a panic trade. The link to the Islanders is the past history of Lou going out and getting a solid goalie.

Lou can pursue him on June 26th or whenever the listening period starts. Giving up any assets for him in season makes zero sense when they are rebuilding.

Lou can get his goalie for only money on July 1st. Considering the ton of cap space at his disposal and likely more after the expected sell off... he can wait.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If he's looking at Price money how many can afford him and keep a good team?

Carolina has cap space but will they spent is still a question with the new owner.
That's what I was thinking. How much will he get in a trade if he is rumored to want as much or more than what Price got.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Lou can pursue him on June 26th or whenever the listening period starts. Giving up any assets for him in season makes zero sense when they are rebuilding.

Lou can get his goalie for only money on July 1st. Considering the ton of cap space at his disposal and likely more after the expected sell off... he can wait.
That is true. He can wait.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I would be hesitant to get this guy.

- Poor big game/playoff performer.
- “Unhappy” seemingly all the time.
- Wants a huge payday.

I dunno... weak charactered, selfish, moody players just don’t do it for me.

He would be run out of a city like Philly in one year.

Islanders or Panthers where he will have zero expectations to win and could likely be forgotten about sound like viable options.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just throwing this out there, Lehner has a .926 save% with the Islanders this year, and Lehner has a history of being a good starting goalie. I'm not as sure as everyone else that the Islanders make sense. Bobrovsky is obviously better, but if they keep getting good results out of Lehner, I'm not sure they'd bother trading for him.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Why? Who would be better than someone who's almost a yearly vezina candidate / winner?
Some Jackets fans have seriously internalized the "playoff Bob" silliness.

Probably the best recent example of that was last night. We beat the Blues because they were incredibly sloppy - like they have been since the start of the season. Final score was 7-4, and our goaltender gave up those 4 goals on 37 shots (for another sub-.900 SV%). But because it was Korpisalo who started instead of Bob, and because the final result was a W, there's been a persistent narrative of "they won it for Korpi, trade Bob". :facepalm:

* * *​
Who are CLB goalies behind Bobrovsky?
Korpisalo, pretty much; he looks like he could be a starter but not necessarily an exceptional one. Merzlikins is up-and-coming and looks really good, but isn't in North America yet and seems to be allergic to the AHL. Tarasov looks like he has the potential to be really good someday but it'll be a while. Vehvilainen looks like he could be an epic badass any moment now but is technically undersized (altho that admittedly hasn't stopped guys like, say, Saros) and we haven't tried to bring him over yet. Finally, there's Kivlenieks, who's backstopping Cleveland and likely to stay there.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's what I was thinking. How much will he get in a trade if he is rumored to want as much or more than what Price got.

31y when this contract kicks in, his final longterm contract and already making +7M.

Can see another anchor of a contract in the making.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016

Personally, I don't think anyone is making a panic trade and giving up much for any goalie, but if I am Columbus, and I am trading Bob, I start by calling the GM in the league who is probably the most likely to value that position the highest. It may not go anywhere, but it's a call that has to happen if you are going that way.

Trading goalies is a losing proposition. Bob might have the most impressive track record of any goalie over the past 5 years, and the chances of getting much interest in him are still low.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
But if the Islanders think he wants to go to NY in the offseason, why not just get him for free?
Because then when he hits FA you are bidding with other teams who may offer more, driving his price up. You trade for him and sign him hoping that you can get him signed for less than if he hit the open market

Reactions: Bluenatic

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Because then when he hits FA you are bidding with other teams who may offer more, driving his price up. You trade for him and sign him hoping that you can get him signed for less than if he hit the open market

The Isles are rebuilding, it makes so little sense to use assets to acquire a pending UFA for a team likely looking to acquire young assets. Their cap situation can absorb an overpay to Bobrovsky in the offseason and there is no guarantee that he would re-sign with the Isles anyway. They can wait, there is no urgency to acquire him now.

If the price is a 3rd rounder for him, I'd hope Lou would listen. Anything beyond that it's throwing away an asset for nothing. We just got burned and the logic is to get right back on the horse to get bucked off again? That is what would truly be asinine.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The Isles are rebuilding, it makes so little sense to use assets to acquire a pending UFA for a team likely looking to acquire young assets. Their cap situation can absorb an overpay to Bobrovsky in the offseason and there is no guarantee that he would re-sign with the Isles anyway. They can wait, there is no urgency to acquire him now.

If the price is a 3rd rounder for him, I'd hope Lou would listen. Anything beyond that it's throwing away an asset for nothing. We just got burned and the logic is to get right back on the horse to get bucked off again? That is what would truly be asinine.
I don't disagree with you, I was just answering a reason why it would be beneficial to use the assets. I don't necessarily think it's the smart decision given their situation and Lehner is starting to look pretty decent there which also decreases the urgency as well.

If he continues to play well I would probably resign Lehner 3 years before I would consider throwing a huge, long term contract at an aging Bob. I know he's not the only one to blame, but he's never topped 6 games in a single playoffs, I'd be concerned about that when throwing money at him.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I wouldn’t want him. He’s a terrible goalie when it matters. And right now he’s not even winning in the regular season. In my opinion he’s a primed for a free agent contact that whoever signs him is going to deeply regret.

Thats been pretty much the book on him his whole career. Great regular season goalie to get you to the playoffs. Folds like a lawn chair and is extremely pedestrian to poor come playoff time.

Seems like the worst target to trade for at the TDL knowing you only get a half season of him, you have playoff aspirations, he isnt good in playoffs, and CBJ are going to ask a LOT for him in return

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Isn't it standard for teams to receive the players no-trade team list at the start of each season? I know things haven't been good there, but it seems like quite the narrative. Speculation rather than rumour.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What is he unhappy with? It is the coach? Is the the environment? Is it just the team isn't going to be a playoff threat? Depending on what is it, some of these teams being talked about as good fits might not be a fit afterall. What is he looking for? A winning team? A better pay day?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Lou is going to go hard at him if he reaches UFA. Curious to see what the BJ can get for him before the deadline
That's funny, the Isles have Ilya Sorokin, one of the best goalies in the world not in the NHL, Linus Soderstrom, one of Europe's best and Jakob Skarek all in the mix. We deliberately only gave Lehner one year because we have them. I doubt we have interest in giving "The Bob" 9M long term. Especially since he's gonna be 30, as a rebuilding team the core is much much younger.

I'm pretty sure the plan is Sorokin when he's eligible for a 1 year ELC

Last edited:
Reactions: ecemleafs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's funny, the Isles have Ilya Sorokin, one of the best goalies in the world not in the NHL, Linus Soderstrom, one of Europe's best and Jakob Skarek all in the mix. We deliberately only gave Lehner one year because we have them. I doubt we have interest in giving "The Bob" 9M long term.

Fair but what is the probability they are as good as Bob? Hard to predict. But I get your point of sticking with the youth. I want the Habs to do the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->