RUMOR: Deal possibly done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
spacelobster said:
i'm glad somebody believes me, but no offense, your proposals back in the day were ridiculous. lol, its all good though.

I'm not calling you on this, it's pretty clear that at least some of the people here think you're a reasonable source. However, I've just seen a quote saying that "It's neither progressive or regressive." Any idea why they wouldn't announce that it's done, if it is done?

KOVALEV10*

Jason MacIsaac said:
Brylin and a 2nd for Weight was solid :) Atleast I havn't made up a Marleau proposal this year....maybe tomorow or the next day ;)

Yeah man I got one for you now... what about Pierre Dagenais the greatest skater in the league today for Patrick Marleau? :lol

leafaholix*

Just to let you know spacelobster, I just wet my leopord coloured track pants... if this is made up, not only are you paying for the lie, but for the pants.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
spacelobster said:
the lockout is over, the announcement will be made tomorrow.

please don't ask for my source.

Spacelobster must have better sources than me. The signals I'm reading do not suggest a deal is done or close to done. Not to say a deal can't be done at some point, but logic suggests they're going to need a lot longer to actually reach an agreement. I mean a lot longer. You would have to be naive to think that Gary and Bob in one nine hour meeting, less than that if you count the dinner break, would agree on a new CBA. No one knows for sure exactly where it's at and we'll find out soon enough. The encouraging signs are players publicly saying a cap might be okay, that linkage is now evil incarnate. That might, and I say might, form the basis of some negotiation but let's assume the NHL decides they can live without linkage, which has been the motherhood issue in all of this, how long do you think it would take for the two sides just to crunch the numbers on an agreeable cap, to say nothing of salary arb, QOs, ELS, profit sharing etc etc etc...and remember, that's only if the NHL decided to drop linkage as the basis for an agreement, which many would suggest is a real longshot. The pressure of losing the season is obviously pushing the two sides together, and it may be that we're just beginning the real negotiating process, but if you can determine out of all that whether that means there's going to be a deal or it blows up sky high, well, you're a better man than me.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

HockyStr99

Jun 17, 2004
BobMckenzie said:
Spacelobster must have better sources than me. The signals I'm reading do not suggest a deal is done or close to done. Not to say a deal can't be done at some point, but logic suggests they're going to need a lot longer to actually reach an agreement. I mean a lot longer. You would have to be naive to think that Gary and Bob in one nine hour meeting, less than that if you count the dinner break, would agree on a new CBA. No one knows for sure exactly where it's at and we'll find out soon enough. The encouraging signs are players publicly saying a cap might be okay, that linkage is now evil incarnate. That might, and I say might, form the basis of some negotiation but let's assume the NHL decides they can live without linkage, which has been the motherhood issue in all of this, how long do you think it would take for the two sides just to crunch the numbers on an agreeable cap, to say nothing of salary arb, QOs, ELS, profit sharing etc etc etc...and remember, that's only if the NHL decided to drop linkage as the basis for an agreement, which many would suggest is a real longshot. The pressure of losing the season is obviously pushing the two sides together, and it may be that we're just beginning the real negotiating process, but if you can determine out of all that whether that means there's going to be a deal or it blows up sky high, well, you're a better man than me.

Way to kill the positive vibe on this thread :banghead:

thanks for info though

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
BobMckenzie said:

Maybe thats the problem, we gave them a dinner break.

The Jerk*

BobMckenzie said:

Bob, is that really you?

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
BobMckenzie said:

your sobering words are certainly not the high note i was hoping for before going to bed... :cry:

leafaholix*

BobMckenzie said:

Bob, you've ruined me with this post.

KOVALEV10*

Carl O'Steen said:
Just to let you know spacelobster, I just wet my leopord coloured track pants... if this is made up, not only are you paying for the lie, but for the pants.

:lol Man you just made me piss in my pants too.. so now spacelobster would have to pay for the lie, your pants and mine too!

Anyways though I'm pretty sure there will be a deal done.. i dunno i just have a gut feeling which I rarely have about anything but whenever I do 90 percent of the time its right.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Don't know if you followed the MLB negotiations Bob, but it seems to me that they wrapped up pretty quickly in the face of a threatened player strike. Obviously, you're more credible than spacelobster, notwithstanding the fact that you share space with Glenn Healy, but, and you'd know better than me, they've been talking details for a long, long time. Surely they could have put some of them to bed, or at least got their positions reasonably close.

As for this profit sharing thing, I'll throw out a question here that I threw out on the Oilers board. Anyone here able to explain to me what's to stop an owner from simply changing his debt/equity ratio to be sure that he doesn't slide by the $4MM mark if it ends up getting close? If you do that, you can invest your money somewhere where you get 100% of profits, while still keeping your share of NHL profits.

NewBreed19

KOVALEV10 said:
:lol Man you just made me piss in my pants too.. so now spacelobster would have to pay for the lie, your pants and mine too!

Anyways though I'm pretty sure there will be a deal done.. i dunno i just have a gut feeling which I rarely have about anything but whenever I do 90 percent of the time its right.
Don't you all feel that we have been down this road before, only to have all the positives turn to negatives; in a blink of an eye. Lets just wait and see!

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Carl O'Steen said:
Bob, you've ruined me with this post.

Look on the bright side, perhaps I'm wrong, totally out to lunch. It's happened before...once or twice.

:joker:

And that was just a joke. My wife and kids will gladly tell you I'm wrong all the time.

:dunce:

WhalerBoy

Jul 22, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The fact that the players are suddenly throwing up the word linkage right and left makes me think they are trying to come to some sort of "middle" ground.

Mr.McK/Bob/everyone. Am I the only one who feels that throughout this process, that many of the other issues that are always brought up have actually already been to some degree negotiated in the meetings? Im not saying there have been agreements on what to do with salary arb., entry level or UFA status, but isnt it probable that both sides know enough about what each side wants and what they are willing to give? Meaning once the elephant leaves the room (linkage/cap/whatever), then they can start to quickly hammer out middle ground or acceptable points on all other areas.

I have to say, my optimism ( :dunce: ) of the last couple of hours has been shaken by the words from Bob McK. DAMN!

I Hate You All*

That clip where Gary and Bob are sitting at a game and Gary puts his arm on Bob's chair for a couple of seconds while laughing then takes it away is so creepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->