Dreger: Rumblings Of Carl Soderberg

RckyMtnBlue

Feb 28, 2014
From the Avs games I watched in the postseason I thought Soderberg was awful. I think the Avs have a good core of players, are young, and tons of cap space. However seeing them as one of the favorites to win the cup next season is a huge stretch regardless of what they do this off season. Having the best player or 2nd best player in the NHL helps though

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
From the Avs games I watched in the postseason I thought Soderberg was awful. I think the Avs have a good core of players, are young, and tons of cap space. However seeing them as one of the favorites to win the cup next season is a huge stretch regardless of what they do this off season. Having the best player or 2nd best player in the NHL helps though

Lmao that's a pretty bold hot take.

We were 1 goal away from the conference finals last year. We have the most cap space in the league this summer and a GM that has suggested he wants to be aggressive improving our secondary offense.

We could easily make a major splash this summer and be a favorite for the cup next season. Not just a contender.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Could make a cheap (if retained) solid 3C for one season with the Leafs if Kardi is moved.
Great on draws and he did have a hat trick against them this season.

Maybe a Barrie and Soderberg for Kardi and Kap?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Considering what we just witnessed from St. Louis this season, I am not sure that I would agree with your take.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Your comment is so 2017.
If anything D is now a strength for the Avs. Even if they trade Barrie in the next 24 hours, they do not absolutely get a replacement back for him...
Soda makes a ton of sense as an add-on in a Barrie deal for a team that is sending their #2 C our way and needs some sort of immediate replacement before their internal replacements are ready (say Vancouver really is bold enough to give up Horvat because they land Newhook at #10 and see him as their future #2 C down the road or if Vegas counts on Glass to replace one of Stastny/Karlsson and moves one of these guys to Colorado).

Don't get your hopes up on getting Horvat.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Don't get your hopes up on getting Horvat.

I am not. Its just that there are all these rumors about the Canucks being hot on the trail for Barrie and now even Chiarelli is joining them (who wanted to get his hands on Barrie for ages). Realistically the only piece I could see Sakic moving Barrie for to the Canucks is Horvat and thats why I listed him.

I don't really like Soda @50% + #16 for Kadri. In this tight cap environment I think it would be foolish not to take advantage of our capsituation (and lets face it Panarin is not coming here and we probably won't get more than a Nyquist or a Pavelski out of UFA which leaves plenty of capspace to do other things) and Barrie should be traded today anyways and Toronto is a decent fit I guess.

I'd rather go big and move Barrie to Toronto than the #16 personally and have them tag on Marleau and Kapanen as well.

So Soda@50 % + Barrie for Kadri+ Marleau+ Kapanen sound good to me. Should also kill off any interest in Kreider which would be a positive.

Reactions: ljb4

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I am not. Its just that there are all these rumors about the Canucks being hot on the trail for Barrie and now even Chiarelli is joining them (who wanted to get his hands on Barrie for ages). Realistically the only piece I could see Sakic moving Barrie for to the Canucks is Horvat and thats why I listed him.

I don't really like Soda @50% + #16 for Kadri. In this tight cap environment I think it would be foolish not to take advantage of our capsituation (and lets face it Panarin is not coming here and we probably won't get more than a Nyquist or a Pavelski out of UFA which leaves plenty of capspace to do other things) and Barrie should be traded today anyways and Toronto is a decent fit I guess.

I'd rather go big and move Barrie to Toronto than the #16 personally and have them tag on Marleau and Kapanen as well.

So Soda@50 % + Barrie for Kadri+ Marleau+ Kapanen sound good to me. Should also kill off any interest in Kreider which would be a positive.

Offersheet Mitch.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Offersheet Mitch.

Can't because of Rantanen. If we pay Marner a crapton of money to get him out of Toronto (also surrendering a crapton of 1sts in the process), we will have to pay Rantanen the same amount which will probably screw up our capsituation very quickly.
Not worth it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Sodaberg is a good player who has aged surprisingly well. Not sure why Avs would move him, with how their center depth looks.

It's cool that he had that one horrendous 14 point year, then bounced back.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Not sure I’d wanna lose Soda yet. He likely won’t produce as well this year but we need someone to play on the PK and Bowers probably won’t be ready until late this year/next year

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This is what I proposed to Leaf fans and feedback has been fairly positive.

Soderberg at 50% + 16OA for Naz Kadri.

Leaf fans want to see how everything else shakes out but most seem to think it’s a fair deal if that’s the route they choose to go.

The value of the assets might be fair but Kadri at 3 more years @ 4.5 is more valuable to the cap strapped leafs than Soda and 16OA, IMO.

If Kadris dealt it needs to be for a RHD with term.

member 149439

As opposed to the "Ramblings Of Carl Soderberg."
Too bad Soderbergs head isn’t perfectly round like a effing orange! At least I hope your comment was talking about Pilkington. :)

I like this possible move if we attain a solid 2C and let our young centers utilize the 3C as a stepping stone.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
This is what I proposed to Leaf fans and feedback has been fairly positive.

Soderberg at 50% + 16OA for Naz Kadri.

Leaf fans want to see how everything else shakes out but most seem to think it’s a fair deal if that’s the route they choose to go.

Which leaf fan? How does this help them win now? That package wouldn;t even return a replacement 3rd line C. Soder leaves in 1 year, and the 16OA pick is a crap shoot.

The downgrad from Naz to Soder is a lot bigger than a mid first. Naz is the better player and has term on his contract.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Which leaf fan? How does this help them win now? That package wouldn;t even return a replacement 3rd line C. Soder leaves in 1 year, and the 16OA pick is a crap shoot.

The downgrad from Naz to Soder is a lot bigger than a mid first. Naz is the better player and has term on his contract.
Cap relief, a 1st and a better defensive centre who actually outscored Kadri last year isn’t as bad as you’re making it out to be.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Sodaberg is a good player who has aged surprisingly well. Not sure why Avs would move him, with how their center depth looks.

Seriously, I'd consider moving Jost + for a 2C and let Soderberg stay as 3C rather than move him. He brings a lot more to the table than he gets credit for.

Reactions: Goulet17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad