Dreger: Rumblings Of Carl Soderberg

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

33 years old
1 year left at 4.75
23 goals and 49 points last year. Even received a 4th place Selke vote.

Colorado currently has the most cap space in the NHL so I’m sure retention wouldn’t be an issue.

What can he return?

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Feel like he'll be used to trade for a defenseman if/when Barrie is traded for a high end forward

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Kinda wonder if this is in case Sakic gets an established 2C. Moving Soderberg would allow Compher/Jost to continue developing in the 3C slot rather than being shuffled to the 4th line

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

Spender

Feb 16, 2013
Växjö
Kinda wonder if this is in case Sakic gets an established 2C. Moving Soderberg would allow Compher/Jost to continue developing in the 3C slot rather than being shuffled to the 4th line
I certainly hope so, it would be madness to trade him without an upgrade coming in.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Their D needs serious help.

Your comment is so 2017.
If anything D is now a strength for the Avs. Even if they trade Barrie in the next 24 hours, they do not absolutely get a replacement back for him...
Soda makes a ton of sense as an add-on in a Barrie deal for a team that is sending their #2 C our way and needs some sort of immediate replacement before their internal replacements are ready (say Vancouver really is bold enough to give up Horvat because they land Newhook at #10 and see him as their future #2 C down the road or if Vegas counts on Glass to replace one of Stastny/Karlsson and moves one of these guys to Colorado).

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
gpg3k75.jpg

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He's a useful player with value, but he's also a 33 year old guy (34 at start of the season) who had 1 more goal last season than the prior 2 combined.

Not a guy I'd want my team to trade for (in fact he's already been here before), and a prime candidate for a drop off season... but some GM will give up assets for him.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
He's a useful player with value, but he's also a 33 year old guy (34 at start of the season) who had 1 more goal last season than the prior 2 combined.

Not a guy I'd want my team to trade for (in fact he's already been here before), and a prime candidate for a drop off season... but some GM will give up assets for him.

Yeah, I don't see him having much value in trade at the moment, although he was a valuable player for the Avs for the majority of the season. It seems somewhat strange that he would be shopped at the moment, as the Avs have no internal replacement for what he provides in his role.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
I’m sure Buffalo might be interested if they are not able to find a center in FA or through trade. What would Colorado want for him?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This is what I proposed to Leaf fans and feedback has been fairly positive.

Soderberg at 50% + 16OA for Naz Kadri.

Leaf fans want to see how everything else shakes out but most seem to think it’s a fair deal if that’s the route they choose to go.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
He was outstanding in the season but in the playoffs it was a different story somehow he forgot how to score goals :help:

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I’m sure Buffalo might be interested if they are not able to find a center in FA or through trade. What would Colorado want for him?

I don't think the price would be high, but it would seem that he is more valuable contributing this season and simply walking as a UFA next year. I am not sure that it would make much sense for the Avs to trade him for a 2nd or a 3rd at this point, which may be in the range of his value.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
im not an Avs fan yet this comment left me scratching my head in confusion

Makar
Girard
Zadorov
Barrie
Cole
Johnson

IMO that's a deadly group.. and even more so when Byram joins the crew:nod:

It may not be among the elite groups in the NHL, but it is certainly much better than it was a couple of years or so ago. I believe the Avs are going to select a forward at pick number 4 this evening, so Byram likely does not enter into the equation.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

Lolwut

Soderberg being our 4th best forward should tell you all you need to know.

Zadorov - Barrie
Girard - Makar
Cole - Johnson
Nemeth

That needs serious help? I would take that defense group over 25 or so teams in the league. Speed, scoring, size, the group has it all.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He was one of the Avs' saving graces this past season but not likely he'll be a 49-point guy again. As has been stated, the Avs center depth is dire so the only way they are going to trade their second best natural center is if they address that gaping hole some other way, or use Soda as a makeweight in a deal for that solution.

If the Avs retain, you have a quality veteran two-way center who should have no issues being a 20 goal, 40 point mid-6, two-way center for probably $3 million or less and who will come off the books after next year (before he's too old to be effective). That will definitely have value on the market and interest among GMs even if he isn't a sexy name here at HFB.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
This is what I proposed to Leaf fans and feedback has been fairly positive.

Soderberg at 50% + 16OA for Naz Kadri.

Leaf fans want to see how everything else shakes out but most seem to think it’s a fair deal if that’s the route they choose to go.

Then they can flip 16OA for Miller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->