Rumack: Get Rid of the Scripted Fights

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
"One way to eliminate the pre-arranged fight, for example, is for the league to legislate that any player fighting in a game must average at least 10 minutes of playing time per game. Those who don’t meet that requirement should be automatically suspended for 10 games and the teams they play for should also be fined"

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
"One way to eliminate the pre-arranged fight, for example, is for the league to legislate that any player fighting in a game must average at least 10 minutes of playing time per game. Those who don’t meet that requirement should be automatically suspended for 10 games and the teams they play for should also be fined"

:laugh: That's hilarious.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Original article from one of my writer/hosts Norm Rumack weighing in on his opinion about the staged fights in hockey. Have at 'er.

http://www.nextsportstar.com/?p=53237

if you want to ban them, it would help if you could define them ( i.e see tortorella/deboer is this staged ?)

linking the ability to fight to ice time is a very very bad idea.

if you want to make all players responsible for their own protection ( ie no security by proxy) say good bye to players like st-louis and pretty much 2 of the three lines the habs have.

I have not yet read the article, but my prediction is that they dont ask a single player or explayer not named dryden

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
if you want to ban them, it would help if you could define them ( i.e see tortorella/deboer is this staged ?)

linking the ability to fight to ice time is a very very bad idea.

if you want to make all players responsible for their own protection ( ie no security by proxy) say good bye to players like st-louis and pretty much 2 of the three lines the habs have.

I have not yet read the article, but my prediction is that they dont ask a single player or explayer not named dryden

I read it and, quelle surprise the only people who seem to matter are the ones who think its a joke, or that the players who fight " obviously dont have the skills to do anything else".

George parros is never going to be confused for gretzky, but is george ANY worse a player than gallagher and deharnais or briere are fighters ?

Karlsson is one of the best players in the league, Matt carkner is, like parros, not likely to get confused with stamkos or bergeron. Ask karlsson if he liked it when matt carkner made brian boyle pay for taking liberties at the end of his fist.

if people want to remove protection by proxy, I'm fine with that. there was a day when players were largely responsible for their own safety. but as much as people bellyache about the premium on size now, you remove guys willing to step up for their teamates and the little guys go away.

so if you want to get rid of enforcers, i have to ask why you hate the little guys so much that your are willing to guarantee their extinction from the game ?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I read it and, quelle surprise the only people who seem to matter are the ones who think its a joke, or that the players who fight " obviously dont have the skills to do anything else".

George parros is never going to be confused for gretzky, but is george ANY worse a player than gallagher and deharnais or briere are fighters ?

Karlsson is one of the best players in the league, Matt carkner is, like parros, not likely to get confused with stamkos or bergeron. Ask karlsson if he liked it when matt carkner made brian boyle pay for taking liberties at the end of his fist.

if people want to remove protection by proxy, I'm fine with that. there was a day when players were largely responsible for their own safety. but as much as people bellyache about the premium on size now, you remove guys willing to step up for their teamates and the little guys go away.

so if you want to get rid of enforcers, i have to ask why you hate the little guys so much that your are willing to guarantee their extinction from the game ?

Pretty much. And I know the NHL likes knowing that a smaller player can thrive in the NHL.

But boy, does this guy in the original article seem like a piece of work

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Pretty much. And I know the NHL likes knowing that a smaller player can thrive in the NHL.

But boy, does this guy in the original article seem like a piece of work

Work is one way you could have gone, I guess.

Because at the games if there is one thing that the PAYING public really really hates, its two guys dropping the gloves and squaring off. I can just close my eyes and hear the boos raining down and can imagine who
E sections voicing their displeasure by turning their backs.

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011
Anyone else get a chuckle out of the argument of getting rid of tough guys means they'll be replaced by skilled players?

Last time I checked, truly skilled players didn't play on the 4th line.

mygameworn

Dec 24, 2007
Connecticut
mygameworn.net
Original article from one of my writer/hosts Norm Rumack weighing in on his opinion about the staged fights in hockey. Have at 'er.

http://www.nextsportstar.com/?p=53237

Terrible article. You're writer has obviously never played the game nor does he understand the game. A nobody writing giving his asinine option in how to makeover the game shows zero creditability. Do some research next time, nearly 99% of NHL players WANT fighting in THEIR league.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
all disputes should be settled with a fish slapping contest. Coaches and captains can demand satisfaction after each whistle, and halibut and trout will be provided in buckets on both benches.

I think this is a bit much.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Coach: "Go make that cheapshotting little rat who elbowed our first-line center pay."

Player: "Can't do it coach, I'm at 10:01 per game on the season. If I get a 2 5 and 10, I'll miss too many shifts, be at 9:59 and lose 1/8 of my salary."

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Coach: "Go make that cheapshotting little rat who elbowed our first-line center pay."

Player: "Can't do it coach, I'm at 10:01 per game on the season. If I get a 2 5 and 10, I'll miss too many shifts, be at 9:59 and lose 1/8 of my salary."

#1, a coach will NEVER specifically tell a player to fight another player. That crosses legal grounds.

Why couldn't they do it in the game in question?

If a player has played one 30 second shift in the first period, yet fights off the opening draw in the second, he's played less than 1/40th or 2.5% of the game. Let's bump it up say the player if the player has played less than 10% of the game, which is reasonable for a decent 4th liner, he gets ejected from the game if he fights. If he is ejected in the last ten minutes, he misses the next game as well. If he has had 3 game ejections, he is suspended for one game. If ejected for 6, he misses 3. Who cares if a guy who plays less than 6 minutes a game gets ejected? Is he really contributing that much anyways?

Personally, I love fighting. I'll hate it if they take it out of the game. That Malkin Bergeron fight last season was awesome. Iginla-Benn. Crosby-Giroux. Those are the fights I want to see. My least favorite fight was Macintyre dropping Ivanans. I hate the flames, but that was sickening. Those two fought with less than three minutes left in a blowout, and it essentially ended one of the players careers. Macintyre played less than 6 minutes in that game by the way.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I would prefer it if things were left alone. These guys get paid well for their 3-10 min a game. It's entertaining and rarely effects the game like a fight in the corner during a battle may change momentum. A tap with the stick and a nod before a faceoff, you call it staged, I call it hockey. If you don't like it you can go watch soccer.

Blue Regime

Nov 15, 2008
Groton, CT
Ah, another article from a misinformed writer who has never played hockey trying to stir the pot and generate page views. Typical.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Who is this clown and why is this silly article posted here? You don't like fighting? Watch the NBA or Euro soccer but seriously don't climb into the sand box and declare that its not fit for your presence.

As scary as it seems because of the way these guys wail on each other from time to time, don't attempt to kill an important element that makes hockey different from every other major sport.

Those offended by the presence of colton orr should pick another past time to change...

btw, NCAA hockey may be closer to the "authors" taste...

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
What the hell is a scripted fight anyway? Are they going to let their opponent know when they're punching and tell them to dodge and hit a suplex for the 1-2-3?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad