Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Hi all

It's July and Winter's coming.

With so many hockey moves in the air and so many arguments on our board, we mods wanted to set some ground rules. In our efforts to streamline our board, you'll notice we're being stricter on posts that add nothing to the conversation. Moving forward, we will be deleting one-liners about ‘Playstation’, ‘BargainBin is a ____’, and any similarly repetitive insult. They've lived a long and healthy life, but really... enough already. The goal of this board is to encourage discussion, not clutter pages with cliches we’ve seen thousands of times. There’s nothing wrong with quick, short comments, but don’t post crap simply to take up space.

We’d also like your help in being aware of the overall tone of the board. You have every right to be critical, but there's a line between constructive criticism and a pile-on of negativity. Don’t post another insult on a page filled with insults — it’s unreadable and unfair to the majority. This site is read by a wide range of people and opinions; there should be equal space for all. When one opinion shouts down the rest, let us know and we’ll address it.

Otherwise, the same rules apply, with the general guideline being to avoid making it personal. If the goal of your post is to stick it to someone, do a little self-editing and save yourself an infraction.

We’re all Habs fans, so let’s hope for the best in the weeks ahead!

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Hi all

It's July and Winter's coming.

With so many hockey moves in the air and so many arguments on our board, we mods wanted to set some ground rules. In our efforts to streamline our board, you'll notice we're being stricter on posts that add nothing to the conversation. Moving forward, we will be deleting one-liners about ‘Playstation’, ‘BargainBin is a ____’, and any similarly repetitive insult. They've lived a long and healthy life, but really... enough already. The goal of this board is to encourage discussion, not clutter pages with cliches we’ve seen thousands of times. There’s nothing wrong with quick, short comments, but don’t post crap simply to take up space.

We’d also like your help in being aware of the overall tone of the board. You have every right to be critical, but there's a line between constructive criticism and a pile-on of negativity. Don’t post another insult on a page filled with insults — it’s unreadable and unfair to the majority. This site is read by a wide range of people and opinions; there should be equal space for all. When one opinion shouts down the rest, let us know and we’ll address it.

Otherwise, the same rules apply, with the general guideline being to avoid making it personal. If the goal of your post is to stick it to someone, do a little self-editing and save yourself an infraction.

We’re all Habs fans, so let’s hope for the best in the weeks ahead!

Will people be getting infracted for excessive negativity or stupidity? how often do we see one troll riling everyone up (seemingly on purpose) and arguing with easily a handful of posters. That ends up taking up easily a page and derailing the topic, posts get deleted but it doesn't seem like infractions are handed out because it just happens again a few days later.

I get this is a forum where we all deserve to share an opinion, but sometimes it's a me vs the world opinion and holy **** does that ever lead to stupid banter (and eventual personal insults) from everyone involved.

A good example of this is when just 3 days ago a single person was arguing MB was doing a good job because he has Radulov signed to our roster (and he acknowledged it was only until June 30th 11:59pm) which lead to like 5+ posters getting involved saying it's june 28th and Radulov isn't a part of our 2017-18 roster so he's irrelevant to the discussion...personal insults ensue and a lot of deleted posts. It'll happen again and again.

Last edited:

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Just because someone doesnt agree with you means the he's trolling, but if in fact this personne is actually trolling , just report it and we'll take care of the rest (infraction or just deletion that's the mod(s) to decide ). Dont add fuel to the fire by replying to him, because it will only go downhill from there.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Just because someone doesnt agree with you means the he's trolling, but if in fact this personne is actually trolling , just report it and we'll take care of the rest (infraction or just deletion that's the mod(s) to decide ). Dont add fuel to the fire by replying to him, because it will only go downhill from there.

I'm not saying sharing any opinion is trolling, I'm saying arguing with 5+ people about a guy being a part of our core because he's not a UFA u til two more days is trolling. So basically useless opinions that create arguments. It's a recurring theme on this board, I can give you countless more examples.

Habs fans tend to be split pretty well on most topics, but when it's those 1 vs the fanbase arguments (and I won't single people out because they know who they are), that's when personal insults fly because people get baited by the same trolls over and over again. I'll admit, I did it to the sens fanbase a few times on purpose in some threads and paid a heavy price for it which thought me a lesson, and it'd be nice to see strict moderating across the board instead of just the main boards.

I agree though, disagreement in opinions are okay. It's just obvious sometimes those opinions are only said to rile people up.

MrGold

Mark Scheifele is a piece of ****
Jan 7, 2012
Moving forward, we will be deleting one-liners about ‘Playstation’, ‘BargainBin is a ____’, and any similarly repetitive insult.

Can a similar effort be made to remove derogatory language/heritage related posts? I don't think letting prejudiced posters spew their hate encourages constructive discussion.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Calling GM, coaches or players stupid, idiot or things like that should be automatically banned. I often stopped coming here because of that.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Calling GM, coaches or players stupid, idiot or things like that should be automatically banned. I often stopped coming here because of that.
People can have their opinions. We're not going to stop that. Habs' fans are among the most passionate in sports. Some silly things will be said.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
People can have their opinions. We're not going to stop that. Habs' fans are among the most passionate in sports. Some silly things will be said.

Calling other idiot or stupid is not an opinion, it's an insult. Also, the strange thing here is that you cannot call an anonymous poster an idiot, which I agree with, but everybody can call the owner, the GM, the coaches or the players idiots. That does not make sense.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Calling other idiot or stupid is not an opinion, it's an insult. Also, the strange thing here is that you cannot call an anonymous poster an idiot, which I agree with, but everybody can call the owner, the GM, the coaches or the players idiots. That does not make sense.
They're public figures, and usually criticism of public figures implies that the criticism is directed at their public persona and job, and not to them personally.

It literally comes with the territory.

I'm staying out of board meta-politics otherwise, just felt compelled to chime in here.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
They're public figures, and usually criticism of public figures implies that the criticism is directed at their public persona and job, and not to them personally.

It literally comes with the territory.

I'm staying out of board meta-politics otherwise, just felt compelled to chime in here.

As the OP says, they'll be removing posts that add nothing if value.

So is a post like "get rid of this ****ing idiot" an opinion or useless spam? I'd say the latter but I can see an argument for the former.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
As the OP says, they'll be removing posts that add nothing if value.

So is a post like "get rid of this ****ing idiot" an opinion or useless spam? I'd say the latter but I can see an argument for the former.

As long as it's followed by some sound reasoning and isn't just "get rid of this ****ing idiot" on its own.

If it adds nothing to the discussion it's gone.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I've moderated boards in the past and understand how tricky it is to make a community work, especially one as huge as this one.

However, I think the moderating team needs to pay more attention to the latent xenophobia that is present on this board. There is a vocal segment of this community that constantly makes it clear they view any french-speaking hiring by the Habs as being cmpletely devoid of merits. Wild, completely unrealistic political conspiracy theories about the owner, media, player handling. The hatred and ignorance is palpable and sometimes, unbearable. Again during the latest drafts, predictions fused about "obligatory crappy French pick coming next".

Not to mention the numerous comments mocking the speech pattern of francophones speaking English. I'm amazed a moderation team in 2017 is not hammering down on this behavior. I haven't seen a single high profile, moderated board tolerate this sort of thing since the 90s. Could you, maybe, get with the times ? Show empathy ?

I can't speak for everybody but I used to be extremely active 10 years ago and there was a lot of bickering that was hockey-related but at least, there was a sense of community between fans. Now there's a huge, ugly rift between segments of the fanbase.

Reactions: MrGold

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I get where you're coming from. I agree with you about deleting things about "rispek" and the like. The other mods do as well and we do our best. With our current management, I think people are just upset that Bergevin keeps bringing in friends who haven't proved anything at the NHL level rather than the fact that they're francophone.

If you see something that you think should be deleted or edited, then please report it. There are quite a few of us mods, but this is one of the busiest boards on HF; it's hard to see everything.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I get where you're coming from. I agree with you about deleting things about "rispek" and the like. The other mods do as well and we do our best. With our current management, I think people are just upset that Bergevin keeps bringing in friends who haven't proved anything at the NHL level rather than the fact that they're francophone.

If you see something that you think should be deleted or edited, then please report it. There are quite a few of us mods, but this is one of the busiest boards on HF; it's hard to see everything.

Thanks for considering my message. And yeah, I'm sure you guys are busy as hell and it is appreciated !

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
For what it's worth I with many others have been moderators of their forum in the past. I will admit when I was even through some bad years people were more understanding and willing to discuss a point rather than try to bash another poster. It was present but not like this...

The moderators here have to deal with a lot of childish things, including the next wave of idiotic catchphrases. If people want the forum to be better they can't expect the moderators to clean it all up.

I'd imagine this place would be a lot more bearable if everyone did their part. If people want HF Habs to be less bickering about nonsense it starts with the posters. You get what you put in and if you put in exaggerated posts with an agenda, you'll get that back. You want to argue about a poster, you'll get it in return. It's a vicious cycle.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
For what it's worth I with many others have been moderators of their forum in the past. I will admit when I was even through some bad years people were more understanding and willing to discuss a point rather than try to bash another poster. It was present but not like this...

The moderators here have to deal with a lot of childish things, including the next wave of idiotic catchphrases. If people want the forum to be better they can't expect the moderators to clean it all up.

I'd imagine this place would be a lot more bearable if everyone did their part. If people want HF Habs to be less bickering about nonsense it starts with the posters. You get what you put in and if you put in exaggerated posts with an agenda, you'll get that back. You want to argue about a poster, you'll get it in return. It's a vicious cycle.

Well why don't the mods just become stricter? Being soft won't help clean this place up.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well why don't the mods just become stricter? Being soft won't help clean this place up.

It's kind of how the NHL tries to crack down on clutching and grabbing. There is so much of it going on that you can pretty much call a penalty for every 1 minute of play. Regardless, you have to start somewhere and I agree some things need to change. I've only been on these boards for 1 year and I have fell in the trap myself at times.

Good Culture Behavior practices will go a long way. Good luck to all the moderators. You have a tough job to keep everybody in line and to keep the conversations to a respectful level.

Also, Something that may be of worth? I think it helps when Moderators step in and add "Be respectful or it will be dealt with" posts. It's one thing to deal with individuals with private messages but it also helps when moderators add posts to remind people as a whole.

(my 2 cents worth)

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Thank you to the mods for doing a thankless job. And thank you for this thread.

I would like to offer up a request. This is the Montreal Canadiens board. We have a diverse cross section of fans with differing opinions for what is best for the team. Management, coaching staff, players all have supporters and detractors.

With that said, can something be done about the posts where other teams are cheered. It is frustrating to read posts pulling for the Nashville Predators to win in the same post as they are hoping for the Habs to lose. Also, it's sad to see fans pulling for the Pens to three-peat on the Habs board.

I'm all for different opinions. It would help if posts hoping the Habs lose or support for other teams while posting on the Habs board be eliminated and banned.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->