Rules for Signature Event

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Just so people are aware, and since it is not public knowledge... they have enforced new rules for this years season ticket holders signature event.

Many of you may have bought these tickets on the secondary market, so beware they may turn away items you may bring.

From what I understand, you can get a postcard signed that they will be providing, anything else cannot be larger than 12" x 12" x 6", which means that you cannot bring in a canvas to be signed. This is really disappointing we as season ticket holders already pay a premium compared to the secondary market, let alone the concession prices are ridiculous. I feel the Oilers organization is really doing anything in their power to take money away from anyone but themselves.

Any item you bring in also must be personalized to a specific name. I understand the rule for this, but at the same time I feel having a name on a signed event takes away from the jersey and no longer has that professional look for it.

If they are invoking the rule to personalize items, they should allow all items to be available in my opinion, and not be as restrictive.

Good. You guys that get things signed to resell are the worst. Now players are literally iffy on signing anything for fear of it going on Ebay or for sale in a shop.

Love that McDavid makes people personalize it.

People who resell sigs are similar level to people who flip video games, pathetic.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
So got my 29 jersey signed. They did personalize it. Also they pretty much let any size package in. We got stuck behind a guy that had a huge canvas in a box and he had to take it out so they could check in the box and then let him in with it.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Incoming rant........

I was just going to make a thread about this as I feel this year was an absolute joke. I get where they're coming from on cracking down on people possibly selling off gear, but to find out it HAS to be personalized and only 450 McDavid signatures is BS imo. I have season tickets and waited for hours last year and got no sigs, so figured I'd learnt my lesson, and not let it happen again this year. This year I showed up at 2:30 and was right near the front so figured theres no way I miss out again. Well, guess it all comes down to luck of not getting a s***y gate and guessing game after getting in the gates of which way to go. There were people who showed up more than an hour later than me and got in. Maybe I'm just pissed, but to me, any MANY other people I talked to there, this was joke. So many things wrong with the way they did this. So choked......

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Went to the event tonight. Not a season ticket holder, but when you have one in the family you get some of the perks. I had never been before so I really had no clue what to expect and had no clue what the rules were. I was so naive to the event that I thought you’d be able to get every player to sign something. NOPE. Haha.

I brought three jerseys, McDavid, Nuge and a blank one. No real plan as to how I was gonna approach the event.

Got there at 5:30ish thinking I was early, no clue people had arrived at 6 in the morning. Haha.

Plan changed quick, got in the McDavid line only to have an attendant say there was very little chance I’d get an auto. So I moved to the Nuge line which took about 1 hour 15 mins. I got my Nuge jersey signed. No personalization. Didn’t know it was an issue until this thread. I wouldn’t have wanted it personalized and no, I don’t intend to re-sell, I have signed stuff from over the years. It will never leave my collection. Personalization is cheesy and meaningless to me.

Also, can someone explain the “it’s weird to get autographs if your older”. I’ve heard this in the past and it’s dumb to me I love getting some cool memorabilia.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I went as well, thanks to a friend who had a season ticket holder in the family or something who also posts on HF.

Got Puljujarvi and Klefbom to sign my jersey, wasn't personalized. Slepyshev signed a puck for me, not personalized.

Definitely thought you'd be able to get all the Oilers and also couldn't believe how long the McDavid line was. Still a really neat event they do here. Talking to Klefbom was so sick, what a nice dude.

I get not wanting a personalized thing but any autograph is better than nothing to me. I wish it was more efficient so you'd be able to get them all but oh well.

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
the whole thing was a joke, one whiny father kept crying how his son and him were there for hours and they let them in behind us as they put a gate right infront of me and my son...they should do it how Calgary does it

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
the whole thing was a joke, one whiny father kept crying how his son and him were there for hours and they let them in behind us as they put a gate right infront of me and my son...they should do it how Calgary does it

How does Calgary do it?

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
How does Calgary do it?

it is kinda like a lottery system where they give you the name of the player you are guaranteed to get an autograph from before even showing up to the event...after that you can go in any line you want but obviously the bigger names wouldn't have any more spots

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
it is kinda like a lottery system where they give you the name of the player you are guaranteed to get an autograph from before even showing up to the event...after that you can go in any line you want but obviously the bigger names wouldn't have any more spots

That would be awesome! Though you end up with people selling the lottery tickets then?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
No personalization. Didn’t know it was an issue until this thread. I wouldn’t have wanted it personalized and no, I don’t intend to re-sell, I have signed stuff from over the years. It will never leave my collection. Personalization is cheesy and meaningless to me.

Also, can someone explain the “it’s weird to get autographs if your older”. I’ve heard this in the past and it’s dumb to me I love getting some cool memorabilia.

you almost answered your own question. adults getting autographs is cheesy and meaningless. add weird to the mix and you have it.

what grown man stands in line to get an autograph from a kid half his age that he does nothing with but look at? what point does it serve?
I like RNH, but I don't need to have his signature on my wall or close to my heart.

I hate the resellers, but I can at least understand the person who views it as making their item worth more when they sell it.
it's your hobby, so have at 'er, but you have to understand why some people think it's strange and silly.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Sounds like a poorly organized event and maybe they should have multiple ones to show the fans they actually appreciate their support. But hell, I haven't lived in Edmonton since you could just go to the West Edmonton Mall and pretty easily get Messier's autograph lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
you almost answered your own question. adults getting autographs is cheesy and meaningless. add weird to the mix and you have it.

what grown man stands in line to get an autograph from a kid half his age that he does nothing with but look at? what point does it serve?
I like RNH, but I don't need to have his signature on my wall or close to my heart.

I hate the resellers, but I can at least understand the person who views it as making their item worth more when they sell it.
it's your hobby, so have at 'er, but you have to understand why some people think it's strange and silly.
I don't get it either. I never did, even when I was young. Used to go to flea markets and theres whole booths that do nothing but sell this stuff and people buy it and "look, I got Glenn Andersons signed shoulder pad." Its completely meaningless.

But I don't really get into hero objectification in general. People are people. Hey, if I met Hemingway I could see maybe getting an autographed copy of "For whom the bell Tolls" but that's about as far as it would get. The latter not being an aside either. Its literary tradition for authors to sign books and has been throughout recorded history. That's where this whole signing thing arose from. But when it extends to the world of pro sports and such it just seems silly.

Put it this way. For Shakespeare, a great writer and user of eloquent writing font to sign a book using his characteristic quail feather and royal indigo blue inkpot might be something. To have somebody that nobody even knows what they're writing looks like using a mass produced black sharpie to scribble something indistinguishable when they've barely ever hand written anything else is obscure. As are most of the autographs. You pretty much have to denote who signed it, or remember it because looking at it you would rarely know who scribbled it.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Bump

So on Monday the oilers are having a photo event with season seat holders. Anyone know any details on it? Are they signing autographs too?

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Last time I went to this at rexall it was photos only.

McDavid is having a draw and if you are not notified by monday the 14th you will not be able to line up for a picture with him.

Event is Jan 21 i believe

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Bump

So on Monday the oilers are having a photo event with season seat holders. Anyone know any details on it? Are they signing autographs too?
Yeah as McLotto said, it is on the 21st. Also no they are not signing autographs. A looong time ago I went to the Smyth, Hordichuk, etc one and you just lined up to as many pairs as you had time for, went and stood beside them and they took your picture. and gave you a download link afterwards or something. This one seems like they have staff helping take pictures with your device. Be prepared for a gong show as usual though I'm sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad