Rules for Signature Event

KingOil88

Jan 30, 2018
Just so people are aware, and since it is not public knowledge... they have enforced new rules for this years season ticket holders signature event.

Many of you may have bought these tickets on the secondary market, so beware they may turn away items you may bring.

From what I understand, you can get a postcard signed that they will be providing, anything else cannot be larger than 12" x 12" x 6", which means that you cannot bring in a canvas to be signed. This is really disappointing we as season ticket holders already pay a premium compared to the secondary market, let alone the concession prices are ridiculous. I feel the Oilers organization is really doing anything in their power to take money away from anyone but themselves.

Any item you bring in also must be personalized to a specific name. I understand the rule for this, but at the same time I feel having a name on a signed event takes away from the jersey and no longer has that professional look for it.

If they are invoking the rule to personalize items, they should allow all items to be available in my opinion, and not be as restrictive.

Edit: Oilers have since come out with another email stating they were talking about bag sizes opposed to paraphernalia, which is what my main argument was about. Understand the personalizing aspect, to detract re-sellers which I totally understand

Last edited:

Rk11

Jan 19, 2017
I tried to get the word out on twitter last night, but it doesn't seem to be gaining traction. That, or people don't care and are going to attempt to get in with their items anyway. This new rule means no hockey sticks, canvases, in theory, unless you "wear" your jersey in, this could even reach out to mean jerseys if you want to get technical with the dimensions.

I had three canvases prepared for tonight, that I won't be bringing anymore, as I am nervous that I'll be told I can't bring them in... which after waiting in line for 4 hours will be frustrating.

On the other hand, I'll be pretty disappointed if I get there, and they DO let people in with their big items. I don't think I can gamble with $400 worth of canvases, it's just honestly such a disappointment.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I am going tonight and never heard the jersey signing has to be personalized. That would be rediculous.
Where did you hear this?

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Edit: I misinterpreted what they posted.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If you're disgusted by the whole thing, you can always withdraw your funds from the team, ie cancel the old tickets.

They used to a lot of things a lot of different ways that don't work anymore.

I would also assume some of the restrictions Autograph related is to avoid people getting stuff signed to sell Ebay or some such place.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
If you're disgusted by the whole thing, you can always withdraw your funds from the team, ie cancel the old tickets.

They used to a lot of things a lot of different ways that don't work anymore.

I would also assume some of the restrictions Autograph related is to avoid people getting stuff signed to sell Ebay or some such place.

Oh I agree that the mall thing wouldn't work anymore, it's just crazy to see how far we've come. I still have a goalie stick I had signed by Cujo when I was a kid so it's sad to see kids now can't do that (apparently).

I can understand one item per for the reselling issue, plus you don't want some doorknob holding up the line getting 75 things signed.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Oh I agree that the mall thing wouldn't work anymore, it's just crazy to see how far we've come. I still have a goalie stick I had signed by Cujo when I was a kid so it's sad to see kids now can't do that (apparently).

I can understand one item per for the reselling issue, plus you don't want some doorknob holding up the line getting 75 things signed.
That's the other thing, it's so many people you want to get as many through as possible. Because for every grumpy Adult, there's probably 3 or 4 kids delighted to be there to meet the Oilers.

Edit: I'm curious how many will be ejected from this for being "rude" to the players.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Why do I have the urge to say boo f***ing ho to some of the comments

as for the "personalized"

Fan "He McDivid, can you sign my jersey?"
mcDavid "Sure, whats your name?"
Fan "nay..just sign it and nothing else"
mcDavid "Nay..I like personalizing things."

sorry for those who do not want it "personalized" sniff sniff

Reactions: Gord

jaxxs

Sep 13, 2007
they just sent updated email the 12" x 12" x 6" restriction is only for bags and not the items to get signed

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
Here is the email I received from the Oilers regarding rules for this event:

As a follow up to inquiries we have received, please note the following clarifications:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Per building regulations, please note bags of any kind larger than 12″ x 12″ x 6″ will not be allowed in Rogers Place.
Please note, this size limit does not apply to items being autographed.
There is a limit of ONE AUTOGRAPH PER PERSON, PER PLAYER
Fans will have the choice of:
Having the player sign a 5" x 7" player card (provided by the Oilers) OR
Bringing their own item which the player will sign personalized to a specific name.
To ensure the best possible experience, lines will be regulated and saving a spot will not be allowed.
Posed photograph opportunities are not available.
Players and locations are subject to change.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[email protected] or 780-414-GOAL (4625).
See you at Rogers Place!
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
[TD]Here is the email I received from the Oilers regarding rules for this event:

As a follow up to inquiries we have received, please note the following clarifications:
[TBODY]
[TBODY]
[/TBODY]
[TBODY]
[/TBODY]
[TD]Per building regulations, please note bags of any kind larger than 12″ x 12″ x 6″ will not be allowed in Rogers Place.
Please note, this size limit does not apply to items being autographed.
There is a limit of ONE AUTOGRAPH PER PERSON, PER PLAYER
Fans will have the choice of:
Having the player sign a 5" x 7" player card (provided by the Oilers) OR
Bringing their own item which the player will sign personalized to a specific name.
To ensure the best possible experience, lines will be regulated and saving a spot will not be allowed.
Posed photograph opportunities are not available.
Players and locations are subject to change.
[TBODY]
[TBODY]
[/TBODY]
[TBODY]
[/TBODY]
[TD][email protected] or 780-414-GOAL (4625).
See you at Rogers Place!
[TBODY]
[TBODY]
[/TBODY]
[TBODY]
[/TBODY]
[TBODY]
[/TBODY]
[/TD]
[/TBODY]
[/TD]
[/TBODY]
[/TD] [/TBODY]
This appears to be stupid building security rules. They should move it somewhere else.

Also the personalized to a specific name thing makes it seem like it has to be like... "You rock Samiam - McDavids Signature"
I may be misunderstanding that though.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Remember when they used to just setup at West Edmonton Mall and you walked around and could get whatever you wanted signed? The good old days. I guess the $12,000 a year I give them for tickets isn't enough, I'm surprised they aren't charging $50 per autograph.
I cant imagine what the lineup would look like for McDavid if they did a big public autograph session. You should be lucky this is a season ticket holder function.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
what's the problem? it all seems very fair. you bring in your item, you get it signed.
measures are taken that actual fans get their items signed as opposed to those looking to add value to their items or just get things to sell.

maybe some of you should look at your honest motives. is it to get something signed as a fan or to get something signed to add value so it may be sold later?

We won't even get into the whole adults collecting autographs thing.

for those of you bringing canvases in, what other reason do you want it signed if not to sell them later?
why does having your pictures personalized to yourself hurt you so much as a fan?

Reactions: AUAIOMRN

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
That's the other thing, it's so many people you want to get as many through as possible. Because for every grumpy Adult, there's probably 3 or 4 kids delighted to be there to meet the Oilers.

Edit: I'm curious how many will be ejected from this for being "rude" to the players.
I'd bet a big fat Zero.

I went to one of these 2-3 years ago in the old rink and got Hall Letestu Nurse and Oiler legend Brad Hunt autographs and no one said anything stupid.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
what's the problem? it all seems very fair. you bring in your item, you get it signed.
measures are taken that actual fans get their items signed as opposed to those looking to add value to their items or just get things to sell.

maybe some of you should look at your honest motives. is it to get something signed as a fan or to get something signed to add value so it may be sold later?

We won't even get into the whole adults collecting autographs thing.

for those of you bringing canvases in, what other reason do you want it signed if not to sell them later?
why does having your pictures personalized to yourself hurt you so much as a fan?

I'm also heavily amused at the 'what do I get for my 10 thousand dollars' angle given that we all know they make back well over half of that selling the seats anyway. The motivation behind the outrage is obvious here.

The solution is pretty simple. If you aren't happy with the product your money is providing you can surrender your seats to someone else.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Edit: I misinterpreted what people were saying regarding personalization, that makes sense to get rid of re-sellers. I support that. I would only ever go to this to bring a kid with me, no desire for autographs as an adult personally.

Last edited:

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I'm also heavily amused at the 'what do I get for my 10 thousand dollars' angle given that we all know they make back well over half of that selling the seats anyway. The motivation behind the outrage is obvious here.

The solution is pretty simple. If you aren't happy with the product your money is providing you can surrender your seats to someone else.
I remember some of them in here when people were arguing that they weren't allowed to sit in the seats before the season ticket holders got to at the Rogers Place Open House. A bunch of them were acting like they were so entitled to it. It was like "relax, its just a seat, no one is going to carve their name in your seat"

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This seems to be more to deter the 'sign my 37 things no don't personalize what no I'm definitely not re-selling these online' crowd. Much ado about nothing.

And before someone complains about 'but but but the kids wah personalized he's not here wah' - take note it says personalized to a specific name, not necessarily yours. If you want an item personalized for your little guy/girl that looks to be fine still.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
Personalising each item with a name is going to slow things down quite a bit. Lucky I got McDavid's signature last year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad