Rule Change Proposal: SHG kills the penalty

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
Scoring wouldn't increase because of this ...

Teams on the PP would play a lot more conservatively to avoid giving up a SHG if they knew that as soon as one is scored the PP is over. So how is forcing teams to play more conservative and not take offensive chances going to increase offense?
Wait so you're saying, risking a goal is fine, but risking a goal and loosing the power play is something to fight for?

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Scoring wouldn't increase because of this ...

Teams on the PP would play a lot more conservatively to avoid giving up a SHG if they knew that as soon as one is scored the PP is over. So how is forcing teams to play more conservative and not take offensive chances going to increase offense?
Shouldn't you always be trying your hardest to score on the PP? Or for the rest of the game for that matter? Why would I play more conservatively to not lose the rest of my PP time if I wasnt trying to score on it anyway?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
They should get one of the duck pond games you see at the carnival where you pick out a duck as its floating by and whatever is written on the bottom of the duck is what you win. Set it up in the scorer's box and whenever a team scores a shorty, the machine is turned on and the guy who scores picks a duck. The duck has a number from 1-3 written on the bottom and that's how many goals the scoring team is awarded.

As a Ducks fan, I love this idea. We have too many players floating. Please pick whichever Duck you like!

Reactions: 66871

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
But then you miss the great rare moments of multiple goals in one penalty kill

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I get that your team is done (again) for the year, but the playoffs are still going on. At least respect the other teams & their success & hold off on the summer threads until ... oh, I don't know ... the summer?

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
What if they did both? PP goes for full 2 minutes instead of ending when there's a PPG... but penalty is negated if there's a SHG.

Also, short-handed team can only play with one eye open for the duration of the penalty kill.

And random bursts of bowel-shaking sound will play from speakers in the end boards to distract the short-handed team's goalie during the penalty.

I think I took it too far.

Also - if you take an extra penalty while down 5 on 3, the short handed team must play shirtless.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I really like the idea of an instant kill with a shorthanded goal. I've liked the idea for a long time.

It makes for a great dramatic swing.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Scoring would not increase at all.

Teams would not try to score goals while being on the PK because it would be too risky. For one SHG scored, you are going to get scored 10 times lol.

Terrible idea.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Take that a step further — PPs run the full length regardless of goals scored, and also introduce 1-minute penalties for things like puck over glass and minor obstruction. Give the refs a bit of breathing room to make penalty calls without changing the entire course of the game.

What you’ll get is refs who are willing to call it by the book, players who avoid breaking the rules, ultimately a lot more open ice and free-flowing play. Scoring would only go up slightly, but the game would be far more exciting to watch.

I like the one minute full PP. Also, if period starts on a PP, opening period face off in penalized team zone (includes OT) instead of centre ice?

What about other minor grievances that get whistles but no penalties also becoming ozone faceoffs a la icing? (Ie: multiple offside in a row, 2 players thrown out of the face off dot, puck played with high stick etc.) it gives more attacking set ups with less time required for zone entries.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
So I was having a conversation and in that conversation an idea for a rule change was brought up, now personally I'm sick of rule changes but I wanted to bring this up because I thought it was interesting.

It's basically this if you are on a PP and you give up a short handed goal the penalty is over short handed goal = instant kill.

The logic presented was if you have a 1 and sometimes 2 man advantage you shouldn't be giving up goals because you have more players so if the short handed team scores they should get for a PK, and if we did that then more teams would try offensively while short handed and scoring would increase.

I think it's interesting what do you think?
The game is already being ruined by too many rule changes.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
This is like something out of the mind of an eight year old.

How about if you score a short handed goal not only do you kill your penalty instantly but you get to go on the Powerplay for how much time was left in your penalty after the shorty was scored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad