Rule - catching a puck

Malofy

Mar 30, 2019
I know a player can catch a puck and play will continue if they drop it immediately. Any rule against a player flipping a puck up in the air, catching it themselves, dropping it, and continuing play?

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
If a referee sees you throwing the puck, even to yourself, it's supposed to be a penalty for handling the puck. Now, if you bat it forward and retrieve it yourself; that's a legal play. Just make sure you don't close your hand on it and throw it.

The full Hockey Canada rules for handling the puck are here: Rule 9.1 – Handling the Puck » Rule Book Admin

Situation 8, number 1 below is the most applicable portion of the rules to what you're asking about:
SITUATION 8 Rule 9.1 (a)

General guidelines for closing the hand on the puck:
  1. When a player closes their hand on the puck and then throws the puck, stop play immediately. A Minor penalty for Handling the Puck must be assessed.
  2. When a player closes their hand on the puck and tries to maneuver around another player while holding the puck, or where a player is prevented from playing the puck by the player changing the general location of the puck while holding it, a Minor penalty for Handling the Puck must be assessed.
  3. When a player takes a stride while holding the puck in their hand, assess a Minor penalty for Handling the Puck.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I once did something similar...

Right-handed shot coming down the left side on a 1 on 2... as I crossed the blueline I flipped the puck in the air about 5 feet, as it came down I hit it back up with my blade another 5 feet in the air, as it came down a 2nd time I hit it about 9 feet in the air... as the puck came down for the last time, I caught it as I was splitting the defenders and went in and scored

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad