Player Discussion Rudolfs Balcers - LW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yep, Ennis will be played until the deadline. He's on pace to have his best season since 2015, so that bodes well for us.

That's not really a high bar to clear... but yeah, if he continues to produce, maybe we can flip him at the deadline for a decent pick, maybe a 3rd if we're lucky.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
A healthy and productive Ennis the Menace stays in the lineup until he is traded for a 3rd round pick. He is a good depth add for a playoff team. Boedkaring him will destroy trade value.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
At this point would you not leave him to learn everything he can from Mann before the final call up? Same with all of them, dominate the ahl, play in the playoffs and come into training camp next year ready to put your foot down and take a spot.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
At this point would you not leave him to learn everything he can from Mann before the final call up? Same with all of them, dominate the ahl, play in the playoffs and come into training camp next year ready to put your foot down and take a spot.
There's no reason players can't be learning on the NHL roster. Holding guys back who are clearly deserving of a call up isn't gonna send a great message. Guys like Batherson and Balcers should get rewarded.

Start shipping out guys like Tierney to make room.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Why the rush?

Never understood this way of thinking for where the team is now

Kind of agree here, yeah.

We don't NEED him up here any time soon. It's not like we're realistically thinking about the playoffs this season.

I'm a fan of of taking a long-term view with Balcers and doing what's best for his NHL career, I don't really care about the short-term and whether or not he can help us win games in December or whatever. If there's a conscious decision that for whatever reason, Balcers stayinh in the AHL until like... Christmas or the new year, is best for him, then sure. I'm fine with it.

Plus, if having a guy like Balcers continue to thrive in the AHL a little longer buys us another month to see if we can further inflate the value of potential deadline trade pieces (Ennis, etc...), then I don't see the harm. I'll be concerned if Balcers isn't on the roster post-deadline, for sure. Until then, I'm ok with him staying down for now.

Reactions: Cosmix and HSF

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
There's no reason players can't be learning on the NHL roster. Holding guys back who are clearly deserving of a call up isn't gonna send a great message. Guys like Batherson and Balcers should get rewarded.

Batherson was handed a spot out of camp and did nothing of note with it

It's not a linear progression and things take time. Balcers and batherson will be up here this year but the timing does matter

There are. Few other ways of making space before you give away Tierney. I think guys like batherson and Balcers pushing is good it might make the pageau situation and easier decision.

How about showing some patience

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Don't worry, that will happen this year. Not sure what the hurry is. I'd rather have Balcers and the rest have some success in the AHL, because the club up here will not win as much.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Kind of agree here, yeah.

We don't NEED him up here any time soon. It's not like we're realistically thinking about the playoffs this season.

I'm a fan of of taking a long-term view with Balcers and doing what's best for his NHL career, I don't really care about the short-term and whether or not he can help us win games in December or whatever. If there's a conscious decision that for whatever reason, Balcers stayinh in the AHL until like... Christmas or the new year, is best for him, then sure. I'm fine with it.

Plus, if having a guy like Balcers continue to thrive in the AHL a little longer buys us another month to see if we can further inflate the value of potential deadline trade pieces (Ennis, etc...), then I don't see the harm. I'll be concerned if Balcers isn't on the roster post-deadline, for sure. Until then, I'm ok with him staying down for now.
I think waiting till around Christmas is fine. Don't wanna wait much longer though. There are guys who are ready and can be getting valuable NHL games to further their development. The team isn't playing for anything besides a lottery pick, might as well get guys the experience instead of stagnating in the American league.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Trading players is very tricky, as I think we've learned recently. I think tierney is a big candidate to go, but when can you consummate a deal?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the plan is to wait & see if a number of these guys can increase their value, that's in the best interest of the team to get as much as you can for every player they try & trade. Not sure who they are able to move but we should start seeing some trade talk between now & the deadline. I still think that all of the UFAs should go first & maybe a couple of RFAs second, if they can get a decent return for them too.

At the same time I would like to see Belleville play well & try & increase their fan base especially if they can get into the playoffs & go on a playoff run & manufacture some excitement around the team. IMO it's more important this yr for Belleville to do well than Ottawa given Ottawa would benefit greatly from winning a draft lottery or coming in second. I think there will be plenty of time after the deadline to showcase & reward some of their prospects, they all know hockey is a business & decisions are often made with the business side in mind. They clearly have a plan to move out a number of players this yr, stock pile as many good picks as possible not just for this yr but other draft yrs too & build for the future.

Reactions: IamJust0ne

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I'm fine with him staying down most of the year since he's a first year pro but ideally we get him a couple games this year too.

Yeah injuries and trades are likely to happen, so it’ll be inevitable he gets a look I think. If he does end up staying up it’d likely be post deadline. Abramov and Formenton are coming along nicely too. Ennis will be gone, and I’m leaning toward sending Namestnikov out too. I want Tierney gone, and while I doubt it’s likely at this point I’d try to move Anisimov (more realistic this summer). Pageau I think should be signed. He can move up and down the lineup to spell off our young centres, and even if the contract looks questionable in a couple years, he brings enough to the table that he won’t be a complete albatross if he’s not scoring.

Reactions: TheDebater

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Ask Edmonton how that worked out before McDavid arrived.

There is nothing wrong with young guys playing in the AHL, learning the pro game, improving their skills and confidence and getting called up when they are ready AND deserving.

Handing young guys NHL jobs could lead to complacency and a sense of entitlement.

Its not like our entire team is full of Hainsey. We have loads of guys in their mid 20's

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Another 2 games and he’s up to 15 pts (6+9) in 10 games. Scoring at a pace that would have him lead the AHL had he not missed games from injury.

Going to be hard to keep him down there for much longer if he keeps this up, he was already a decent NHLer last season and he’s just breezing through the AHL right now.

Reactions: AndrewGaze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad