Player Discussion Rudolfs Balcers - LW

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
idk anything about the guy other than he led SJ's AHL team in goals and points in his 20 year old season.

has anyone seen him play?

Reactions: derriko

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Rudolfs Blacers should be a late/middle first rounder in 2015 draft. He is penciled now to be a top 6. He is outperforming and ahead in his development of Timo Meier in Baracudas AHL. 9th overall pick by San Jose 2015 draft. I would say he is better then Pavel Zacha. 6th pick 2015. The way he plays he reminds me a lot of Mitchell Marner. 4th overall pick, the same draft year

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I feel for him. We have limited spots for even our own prospects not to mention coming into the organization in its current state

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Everyone we acquired is decent.

Balcers has skill and might be a 2nd line forward. Most likely, he’s a 3rd line scorer.

Norris is an amazing athlete with smarts and some skill. He might be a 2nd line forward. Most likely, he’s a 3rd line PKer who chips in some secondary scoring.

Tierny is a proven NHLer who can PK and put up some points. He might have 2nd line C upside but most likely, he is a 3C who can slide into the top 6 for short stints.

DeMelo has shown some ability to score at the NHL level. He might have the ability to be a 19-20 min a night DMan. He’s much, much more likely to be a bottom pair DMan for the rest of his career, though.

And then there are the picks, which will almost certainly be between 20-62.

We may very well add 6 pieces that all play more than 14 mins a game for most of their career. The likelihood that we added a 17/18+ min player, though? Extremely low, imo. Draft picks are the wild cards, of course.

Reactions: derriko and coladin

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Should probably include the money in the calculation as well. We've got a few million freed up for elsewhere on the roster.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Everyone we acquired is decent.

Balcers has skill and might be a 2nd line forward. Most likely, he’s a 3rd line scorer.

Norris is an amazing athlete with smarts and some skill. He might be a 2nd line forward. Most likely, he’s a 3rd line PKer who chips in some secondary scoring.

Tierny is a proven NHLer who can PK and put up some points. He might have 2nd line C upside but most likely, he is a 3C who can slide into the top 6 for short stints.

DeMelo has shown some ability to score at the NHL level. He might have the ability to be a 19-20 min a night DMan. He’s much, much more likely to be a bottom pair DMan for the rest of his career, though.

And then there are the picks, which will almost certainly be between 20-62.

We may very well add 6 pieces that all play more than 14 mins a game for most of their career. The likelihood that we added a 17/18+ min player, though? Extremely low, imo. Draft picks are the wild cards, of course.

Thanks for the assessment. I think it is far better value in this kind of trade to get one bona fide young top 3 forward and top 1-2 defenceman (or a draft pick where this is likely i.e. top 10-ish) rather than all of those spare parts. I like what the Habs just did for Suzuki. It is so much easier to find 3rd line forwards or bottom pairing defenceman later in the draft, free agency, trade etc. The team already has a lot of prospects that rate out as bottom half of the lineup players, but they only have two guys that are probable to be top-end talents in Chabot/Tkachuck. They need more than 2 if they want rebuilding to turn into a good hockey team. You can't bank on finding a Hoffman/Stone in late rounds of the draft or turning duds into studs. If they could turn Karl/Stone/Duchesne into 3 Suzuki's, which they ought to be able to, then they are much better off.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014

Could be the next Hossa

People are panning the trade because supposedly no high end prospect came the other way, but how do we know Balcers won't become a top end player? He certainly seems to have the skill. That's the kind of call Dorion is paid to make.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
That would actually be a pretty savvy trade strategy in general. Trade for low draft picks that are far overperforming and recent firsts that teams are quick to give up on. Still don't like the return but I'm on board with the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->