WWE: Royal Rumble Weekend - World's Collide and RR

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ultimately i think we had a fantastic show with just 1 minor issue:

Vince buried some NXT Talent. Shayna needed to win, Flair did not. Riddle needed a showing, he was out in 90 seconds. Lee should have had a BIGGER moment, Lesnar sold.. but Vince got him out too early. Kai/Tegan are in an awesome feud... both are in the rumble... they don't even cross paths. Belair is the only one who even had a showing.

It's plain and simple. HHH builds these guys/gals up. Vince breaks them down.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017

Vince buried some NXT Talent. Shayna needed to win, Flair did not. Riddle needed a showing, he was out in 90 seconds. Lee should have had a BIGGER moment, Lesnar sold.. but Vince got him out too early. Kai/Tegan are in an awesome feud... both are in the rumble... they don't even cross paths. Belair is the only one who even had a showing.

Did NXT need a better showing? NXT TakeOver: Royal Rumble can go next year I guess. The only ones I agree with are Shayna and Kai. I think the rest looked good and entertained. Riddle and Lee looked fine to me and Belair got a hell of a showing. Saying everyone got buried is more than a little dramatic.

Keith Lee actually had Lesnar down and selling. That plus his showing at Survivor Series is very good for him. Riddle was out quick yeah, but he didn't get beat down. A fluke Corbin elimination. Guys from NXT aren't there to win the Rumble. Not yet anyway. I hated the way Shayna came in, dominated, and then got thrown out stupidly. Much rather have Lee and Riddle come in, entertain, then go. Would be dumb to give them big showings only to lose anyway like they did Shayna.

I would be more surprised if the NXT guys came in and threw people out left and right while lasting a long time only to lose.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Keith Lee, Bianca, and Shayna were the only ones from NXT they gave a shit about. They gave a little to Shotzi, as a call back from the past couple of weeks from NXT, they seem like they’re going to push her quick. Otherwise they were there to fill slots, and the people they used for that were people they could have used for that. There was no UE, Imperium, Cruiserweights, BSS - all guys who are being protected as top people in NXT or NXT UK apart from Riddle, who was only there to get Baron Corbin his heat back.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
How the f*** do you miss Edge's first spear?? Absolutely irresponsible. Fortunately I was able to see some fan videos and it was incredible. Dolph did a great job as usual selling it.

I was really getting annoyed with Brock but it all made sense and was a great moment when Drew eliminated him. So glad he won. Wasn't happy with Flair winning though.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just don't see the appeal with Drew. He a Scottish version of Sheamus with basically the same finisher.

Oh wow. No. The guy has busted his ass for years. He was humbled more than probably anyone by going from a "monster heel" to a 3MB joke. Went to TNA and worked his ass off. Went BACK to NXT to work on his craft. He deserves this.

Reactions: TD Charlie

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Oh wow. No. The guy has busted his ass for years. He was humbled more than probably anyone by going from a "monster heel" to a 3MB joke. Went to TNA and worked his ass off. Went BACK to NXT to work on his craft. He deserves this.

Not saying he hasnt busted his ass and doesn't deserve it, I just dont see the appeal. For me hes not a guy I'm turning in to watch and tbh when he comes on I either fast forward if it's on the DVR or change the channel if I'm watching live.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd call McIntyre significantly better than Sheamus. Sheamus was always awful. McIntyre is solid.

Reactions: SnS

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
As a #1 Sheamus hater I will say I can see where you're coming from. McIntyre is better to me though. If he starts coming out smiling and calling everyone "lad" or "buddy" then we're in trouble.

Reactions: les Habs

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I remember Sheamus being rather popular around here when he really started to take off around the time of Nexus.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Have to severely disagree. Having that many NXT people on the card alone was a big deal I think, and arguably the best showing of the Rumble (women's) was Bianca Belair. Keith Lee was really the first guy to stop Lesnar from that isnta-toss stuff, so he looked great. Shayna looked very good as well. I disagree that Shayna needed to win -- would it have been great and an easy way to setup a title match? Sure. But in my opinion: they're going for Charlotte vs. Rhea Ripley, which is WAY better than Shayna vs. any of the champs. It puts more eyes on NXT until Mania in their fight against AEW and Charlotte is a legit bad ass.

Riddle was tossed out quickly, but I'm not so sure it really matters. I do agree that Kai, Tegan and even Green should've been out there longer as well. Saying they were buried is a stretch though.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Keith Lee, Bianca, and Shayna were the only ones from NXT they gave a **** about. They gave a little to Shotzi, as a call back from the past couple of weeks from NXT, they seem like they’re going to push her quick. Otherwise they were there to fill slots, and the people they used for that were people they could have used for that. There was no UE, Imperium, Cruiserweights, BSS - all guys who are being protected as top people in NXT or NXT UK apart from Riddle, who was only there to get Baron Corbin his heat back.

As my Dad would say when referring to all-star teams: "There's only so many footballs to throw"

I think there can be only so many stars highlighted in a Rumble, let alone this men's one where Brock had to squash several to make Drew's win so awesome. Most superstars are there to fill spots and only a few really are very significant for the end game. By Vince putting so many NXT stars in the match, he's getting more eyes on them so they'll draw numbers for NXT. It doesn't matter that they were tossed out necessarily - they weren't going to win anyway (except for Shayna, who was my pick).

You can only do so much when you have an outstanding roster like the WWE does. Not everyone can shine.

Did anyone else get the impression that Otis was supposed to catch both Mandy and Sonya?

No. In story, Otis only really cares for Mandy and Sonya just eliminated Mandy at that point (so there's no incentive for him to save Sonya).

Otis caught Mandy, who was still legal at that point, and Sonya falling on top made both get eliminated. Mind you, this happened right after Sonya accidentally knocked Mandy out of the ring in the first place. It was just meant to double-down on the idea that Mandy and Sonya are splitting soon. Seemed perfectly executed.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As my Dad would say when referring to all-star teams: "There's only so many footballs to throw"

I think there can be only so many stars highlighted in a Rumble, let alone this men's one where Brock had to squash several to make Drew's win so awesome. Most superstars are there to fill spots and only a few really are very significant for the end game. By Vince putting so many NXT stars in the match, he's getting more eyes on them so they'll draw numbers for NXT. It doesn't matter that they were tossed out necessarily - they weren't going to win anyway (except for Shayna, who was my pick).

You can only do so much when you have an outstanding roster like the WWE does. Not everyone can shine.

you can’t push 60 people at once. You look at how many guys they sacrificed to get Drew over, Keith Lee is lucky to get as much as he did, Braun Strowman wasn’t even there 2 minutes.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Have to severely disagree. Having that many NXT people on the card alone was a big deal I think, and arguably the best showing of the Rumble (women's) was Bianca Belair. Keith Lee was really the first guy to stop Lesnar from that isnta-toss stuff, so he looked great. Shayna looked very good as well. I disagree that Shayna needed to win -- would it have been great and an easy way to setup a title match? Sure. But in my opinion: they're going for Charlotte vs. Rhea Ripley, which is WAY better than Shayna vs. any of the champs. It puts more eyes on NXT until Mania in their fight against AEW and Charlotte is a legit bad ass.

Riddle was tossed out quickly, but I'm not so sure it really matters. I do agree that Kai, Tegan and even Green should've been out there longer as well. Saying they were buried is a stretch though.

Fair play. I think i'm a massive NXT mark so it may just be how i feel. Riddle/Shayna i'm quite upset about. Kai/Tegan should have knocked one another out. It's just that Vince does not keep things consistent and it really sucks. HHH and the NXT crew work so hard to build.... and Vince doesn't care if he wrecks it. It sucks. Clear example - Gargano/Ciampa.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
you can’t push 60 people at once. You look at how many guys they sacrificed to get Drew over, Keith Lee is lucky to get as much as he did, Braun Strowman wasn’t even there 2 minutes.

Agreed on the "you can't push 60 people at once"

But were those guys really "sacrificed"? They were basically all mid-carders, even Shinsuke who is the IC champ. Keith Lee and Braun went out in legit, logical terms (fighting each other, and sneak-attacked by Brock). I don't see why that's so bad?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Fair play. I think i'm a massive NXT mark so it may just be how i feel. Riddle/Shayna i'm quite upset about. Kai/Tegan should have knocked one another out. It's just that Vince does not keep things consistent and it really sucks. HHH and the NXT crew work so hard to build.... and Vince doesn't care if he wrecks it. It sucks. Clear example - Gargano/Ciampa.

Hey I love NXT as well, but I think NXT looked better in this Rumble than any other set and ultimately I think they're going to get a Mania top match between Charlotte and Rhea.

Secretly, I was hoping for Balor to win (if Drew didn't) and challenge Cole, but they really don't need to give up a Rumble win for that storyline.

I just loved the Rumbles and have to say I thought they were handled really well. The Brock part didn't bother me, it was pretty clear what they were building toward. Drew got a massive rub as a result and will probably win the title. Love it.

I may be forgetting, but what did Vince do to Gargano and Ciampa?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed on the "you can't push 60 people at once"

But were those guys really "sacrificed"? They were basically all mid-carders, even Shinsuke who is the IC champ. Keith Lee and Braun went out in legit, logical terms (fighting each other, and sneak-attacked by Brock). I don't see why that's so bad?

It wasn’t bad, going to give Keith Lee something to do when he gets up, and all these years Braun Strowman has never had anything for Wrestlemania.

but yeah, New Day and Rey are guys they see as stars, 2 former world champions, current intercontinental champion, Cesaro is another guy seen on a level lower than he could be to get the heat. The guys they were trying to protect, they did.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hey I love NXT as well, but I think NXT looked better in this Rumble than any other set and ultimately I think they're going to get a Mania top match between Charlotte and Rhea.

Secretly, I was hoping for Balor to win (if Drew didn't) and challenge Cole, but they really don't need to give up a Rumble win for that storyline.

I just loved the Rumbles and have to say I thought they were handled really well. The Brock part didn't bother me, it was pretty clear what they were building toward. Drew got a massive rub as a result and will probably win the title. Love it.

I may be forgetting, but what did Vince do to Gargano and Ciampa?

Gargano/Ciampa were in the middle of the best feud i've probably ever seen, an absolute blood feud pending final payoff, and Vince called them both up and paired 'em together. Completely and utterly ignoring the fact they were in a blood feud that told an epic story.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I agree that the NXT wrestlers looked pretty good. Whoever laid out the men's rumble did a really good job in terms of making sure that the right people were in the right spot doing the right thing. Lee gets a good rub from standing up to Lesnar and Lesnar selling his appearance with his "who the f*** is that" to Heyman. Riddle was out quickly but he was given time to shine unlike many of the people in every royal rumble ever. For the women Belair was definitely given a good showing and obviously Baszler was made to look strong.

If it's true that the original plan for for Baszler and Reigns to win, I prefer the route that WWE actually went down.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->