Confirmed with Link: Royal Blue Is Back In 2020-21

Smehlik MyFinger

Sep 16, 2017
I had thought that too , however the change to the goathead and colors was done under the Knox brothers ownership. Seymour Knox passed away in May 1996, and never saw the unveiling. But Northrup Knox continued owning the Sabres until he sold it in 98 to Rigas. Marine Midland Bank was changed to HSBC in 98, I think the whole color thing is really just pure coincidence.

Funny thing looking up research is that HSBC had owned marine Midland Bank since 1980, yet I would think almost everyone in Buffalo probably thought they were still an independent local bank and not owned by a larger bank from Hong Kong.

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
While I quite like the Navy Blue, I can appreciate the historical affinity for the Royal Blue.
But.
There's Royal Blue, and then there's Royal Blue.
Historically, the term "Royal" described a color that tended more toward a violet-blue than the color under discussion these days.
For centuries, blue minerals being, geologically, the most rare and exotic, were thus the most difficult and expensive to grind into paints or dyes. In Renaissance religious iconography, blue was used as a symbol of the respect and devotion its rarity imparted to a painting. In our day, color is chemical not mineral, geology no longer confines esthetics, and chromatic possibilities are almost endless. Good taste though, is still a relatively rare commodity.
The Winter Classic Blue was nothing like a Royal Blue. It was a chalky, wishy-washy mess. The script "Buffalo" thirds were hardly a true Royal Blue. Though color is subjective (and is physically seen differently by different eyes) a true "Royal" would possess both depth and intensity. The strongest, most "Royal" blue color of any jersey in use is, sadly, Toronto's. The color of the present Bills' jerseys is a pretty good one, and if the Sabres matched that it would look fine. Given this organization's record on anything visual or design-connected, though, there's reason for apprehension.
(The 50th jersey is pretty well done, so maybe there's hope.)

Last edited:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
The news of Royal Blue has basically killed any consideration I might have had to getting the 50th anniversary gold jersey.

The gold jersey is OK (I don't love it as much as some, but I don't hate it either). I might have possibly considered buying one. But knowing that royal is coming back next year - forget it. I'm going to skip the gold one and get a royal blue one next year.

I think a blue road Dahlin jersey would be just the thing.

Reactions: kundahlini

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
The news of Royal Blue has basically killed any consideration I might have had to getting the 50th anniversary gold jersey.

The gold jersey is OK (I don't love it as much as some, but I don't hate it either). I might have possibly considered buying one. But knowing that royal is coming back next year - forget it. I'm going to skip the gold one and get a royal blue one next year.

Just buy the gold jersey and sell it in 20 years for 10x the price. That's what i'm planning.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

If only the Blue Jersey was the road jersey...But I agree, and am planning on getting a Dahlin Home Jersey. I may get a Reinhart one as well, but haven't decided whether I will on that one yet.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
They are really making a whole week of this?

Tuesday, Aug. 11 - The Royal Reveal

The day Sabres fans have been waiting for. We'll reveal the new home and away uniforms at 9 a.m.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The start of a new era. It can’t be worse then the Navy Blue era!!

hopefully with more a youthful appearance uniform, instead of the dreary depression dark blue we had, this organization can feel fresh and “with the times.”

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Word on the street is a couple alumni will model the new jersey.

On the front it will show the logo. Above logo lettering: "Buffalo". Below logo lettering: "Sabers"
Dave Andreychuck and Mike Robitalle are expected to make an appearance.

Bferra13

Apr 7, 2019
Word on the street is a couple alumni will model the new jersey.

On the front it will show the logo. Above logo lettering: "Buffalo". Below logo lettering: "Sabers"
Dave Andreychuck and Mike Robitalle are expected to make an appearance.

Take it a step further and have the alumni stitch em' too. Sick of China messing up your duds, and making you look like a pee wee team Kim? Marty could do it on the cheap... "Ladies and gentlemen, your 2020 Buffalo Sibber"...

Eicheltower

Nov 26, 2018
Hey kids! Check out this hip new jersey for you to throw on the ground right after the latest deflating loss.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
It’ll be this

Attachments

• 8FE7B46E-8DCB-4883-A7CB-3D6408A92847.jpeg
    8FE7B46E-8DCB-4883-A7CB-3D6408A92847.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad