Recalled/Assigned: Roy, Whitecloud, & Schuldt recalled. UPD 20th Feb: Whitecloud, & Schuldt sent down.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
GMKM: we're cap compliant, and will do a reset to see if we need to make another move.

I think they could be showing Schuldt for a trade. Including him for a puck moving defenseman? It makes no sense to bring him up and not Hague if they were only looking for good players to play on the team.

He could be an NHL player in a season but probably has no place in the Vegas team.

Then again, Roy instead of Glass.....could be the same thing.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Schuldt isn't going to play tomorrow so I think you can scratch the idea of a showcase. No team in such a tight playoff race is messing with their lineup just to showcase a player. Not to mention a game or 2 isn't changing how a guy like Schuldt would be valued.

The call ups today were probably made to maximize the LTIR benefits with Tuch out.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Schuldt isn't going to play tomorrow so I think you can scratch the idea of a showcase. No team in such a tight playoff race is messing with their lineup just to showcase a player. Not to mention a game or 2 isn't changing how a guy like Schuldt would be valued.

The call ups today were probably made to maximize the LTIR benefits with Tuch out.

Why not bring up Glass? He has a virtually identical cap hit to Schuldt.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Look at these tweets. It will explain it better. Short version, they used this combo of players to get as close to the cap as possible before using LTIR on Tuch. Glass would have been too much.

Hmmm. I still think that says they have an extra 60k (81.5-81.44) and Glass is only 13,633 more than Schuldt. Wouldn't they still have been able to fit that?

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Hmmm. I still think that says they have an extra 60k (81.5-81.44) and Glass is only 13,633 more than Schuldt. Wouldn't they still have been able to fit that?

I don't know. It's possible the info in the tweets is off a bit? Regardless it shouldn't even matter who they used for these paper transactions to get their cap in order.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't know. It's possible the info in the tweets is off a bit? Regardless it shouldn't even matter who they used for these paper transactions to get their cap in order.

LTIR has always confused me. Aren't they in trouble again when Tuch is healthy unless he is not back until the playoffs? Don't they still need to make cap moves before the deadline?

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
LTIR has always confused me. Aren't they in trouble again when Tuch is healthy unless he is not back until the playoffs? Don't they still need to make cap moves before the deadline?

It'll probably come down to when exactly he comes back. The longer he's out the more room they'll have. If it's sooner than later and no deals are made to ship out cap we probably will only be able to carry a roster of 20.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Yes. The way the roster is setup now they'll have to cut $4m in contracts when Tuch is healthy. They can't do that simply by sending players to the AHL. Either someone has to be traded or some other LTIR injury has to happen.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Yes. The way the roster is setup now they'll have to cut $4m in contracts when Tuch is healthy. They can't do that simply by sending players to the AHL. Either someone has to be traded or some other LTIR injury has to happen.

That doesn't make any sense, are you sure that's how it works? There is no pro rata calculation involved here?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Numbers are not pro-rated when using LTIR.

If you look at CapFriendly: Vegas Golden Knights - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps They show the team using $4m of LTIR Relief. And today's total cap hit at $85,819,999. To activate Tuch requires reducing that LTIR Usage to zero. Which requires removing $4m AAV in contracts from the roster.

note: It's possible CF's numbers are slightly off--they were still trying to determine the exact cap hit the team had at the moment Tuch was placed on LTIR.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Numbers are not pro-rated when using LTIR.

If you look at CapFriendly: Vegas Golden Knights - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps They show the team using $4m of LTIR Relief. And today's total cap hit at $85,819,999. To activate Tuch requires reducing that LTIR Usage to zero. Which requires removing $4m AAV in contracts from the roster.

note: It's possible CF's numbers are slightly off--they were still trying to determine the exact cap hit the team had at the moment Tuch was placed on LTIR.

I just don't understand why VGK would put themselves into this position unless they are planning on having Tuch stay on it the rest of the season. You could make a move before Monday to create some space, but you can't count on it.

If what you are saying is true, its massively underreported or understood by those covering the team because no one has said this is the consequence of going this route to fit Martinez onto the team.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Seeks kind of simple to me. Either they plan on dumping someone before the deadline or they know Tuch cannot return before the playoffs.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Seeks kind of simple to me. Either they plan on dumping someone before the deadline or they know Tuch cannot return before the playoffs.
GMKM said he'll return before the RS ends. Easiest solution where we keep our depth is dumping Eakin, & Merrill.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

GMKM said he'll return before the RS ends. Easiest solution where we keep our depth is dumping Eakin, & Merrill.

Technically they could dump someone after the deadline, the player just wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs.

Reactions: theslatcher

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Technically they could dump someone after the deadline, the player just wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs.

They don't throw out old skates without extracting some value for them.

(literally. used equipment sale)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->