Roy Vs. Brodeur

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The current total number of votes cast are 18,918 and Roy is leading with 56% of all responses. Thats a solid lead, despite most of us would argue the margin should be greater then that though.

It's thrown off kilter when people who only watched Brodeur from 2004 until now and never saw Roy play at all vote for what they know.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Regular season hero or solid regular season guy who is a playoff beast and probably the most clutch goalie in history? 3 Conn Smythe's and 151 playoff wins? I'll take Roy please.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Regular season hero or solid regular season guy who is a playoff beast and probably the most clutch goalie in history? 3 Conn Smythe's and 151 playoff wins? I'll take Roy please.

Roy actually has better adjusted reg. season sv% over their career. Well that was up till 2009 but the gap could be/is bigger now as Brodeur hasn't had great numbers the past few years. Roy has better numbers in their best five years too. Brodeur has the edge in Vezinas and all star team selections, though.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Roy - 4 Cups, 3 Conn Smyths, 151 Playoffs Wins

Brodeur - 3 Cups, 0 Conn Smyths, 113 Playoff Wins

Then if you really want to compare Brodeur and Roy look at when they faced each other in the 2001 Playoffs. Roy won. Plus this was when Brodeur was in his prime and Roy was past it. Old Roy > Prime Brodeur. Roy is better.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
To me the biggest thing, is not only the Smythe's and Cups and Wins stats, it's just how Roy was consistently great in the playoffs.

He had bad games here in there, like the Red Wings meltdown, and his Statue of Liberty Gaffe, but Brodeur actually had bad playoff series, and bad playoff seasons where he just wasn't all that great.

That and the way his confidence and leadership off the ice would raise his teammates game to another level, is why Patty is and always was the best.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
To me the biggest thing, is not only the Smythe's and Cups and Wins stats, it's just how Roy was consistently great in the playoffs.

He had bad games here in there, like the Red Wings meltdown, and his Statue of Liberty Gaffe, but Brodeur actually had bad playoff series, and bad playoff seasons where he just wasn't all that great.

That and the way his confidence and leadership off the ice would raise his teammates game to another level, is why Patty is and always was the best.

There's actually quite a few quotes of when the Habs/Avs were in OT in the playoffs and Roy said I'll stop anything and you guys score. Plus what's more clutch then Roy's game 4 Cup win against Florida? He played like it was a game 7, he never said die and he got that win.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
There's actually quite a few quotes of when the Habs/Avs were in OT in the playoffs and Roy said I'll stop anything and you guys score. Plus what's more clutch then Roy's game 4 Cup win against Florida? He played like it was a game 7, he never said die and he got that win.

in 1993 , when he won the cup with Montréal ,he had that crazy OT record , something like 10-1 in OT.. and the 10 OTwins were in a row .
He lost the first OT game in round one against the Nordiques , but after that Roy got on a roll , he was invicible .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad