ROY just got more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
Believe it or not, but Martin Gerber's injury has just affected the ROY race. The mostly overlooked prospect Cam Ward is now the #1 goalie in Carolina, and, well, if anyone didn't see him stop Mario, Crosby, and Palffy in the shootout last night, the kid is freaking amazing. From all the hype about the next generation of goaltenders in Lehtonen/Toivonen/Miller/Niitymaki/Lundqvist/Fleury Ward is very often ommited, but from following him for a couple of years now I know one thing, the kid is the real deal. Out of that group, I'd take only Lehtonen ahead of him, and that is assuming he isn't injury prone. Don't be surprised if Ward pulls a better-that-Raycroft type of season out of his hat and take the ROY award. The way he owned the AHL in his first season last year should be of some indication of how great this kid really is. There you have it, my money for ROY is on Ward :jump: .

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
he means, "rookie of the year."

this is where someone replies with, "no ****."

Fan-of-#9

Dec 27, 2003
Southern Ontario
Visit site
Yeah Cam Ward was amazing last night, one hell of an NHL debut. I think Ward and Miller are both darkhorses for the Calder, both look like the starters now, and both playing well.

JOHNBOY

BUFFALO SABRES
Sep 30, 2003
Denver NC
Fan-of-#9 said:
Yeah Cam Ward was amazing last night, one hell of an NHL debut. I think Ward and Miller are both darkhorses for the Calder, both look like the starters now, and both playing well.

I hope your not talking about Ryan Miller cuase he has lost his elgibility...Now Vanek on the other hand is eligible and very very able IMO... :yo:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yes, 3 games into the season and the whole dynamic of the calder race has changed :shakehead

ward also has gotten plenty of love lately for his abilities

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Jakethesnake said:
That is just hillarious, a guy got almost mauled to death. How funny is that!! :shakehead

It's pretty freakin funny. If you dont want to get burned, dont play with fire. If you dont want to be a tiger snack, dont play with a 500 pound cat.

Back to topic:

I thought they already gave ROY to Sidney Crosby.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Ward is very underrated and flies under the radar, but he'd have to lead the Canes to the playoffs at least to win ROY, IMO. Crosby is playing very well, and there are a bunch of other rookies whose offensive production will put them in the spotlight.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If Crosby has anything more than a mediocre season he'll win because...well...he's Sidney Crosby.

Unfortunately he probably won't have to be the best rookie to win the award. But he will be anyways :)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Nice that both Ward and Lundqvist have looked great in their debuts. Great to see some young gun goalies break into the league that weren't that hyped when drafted (ala Fleury / Luongo).

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Well he has two things going against him regarding the Calder, one his team isn't going to be that good over an 82 game season, two when Gerber comes back he will have to at least split the games with him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Jakethesnake said:
That is just hillarious, a guy got almost mauled to death. How funny is that!! :shakehead

Extremely funny.

Anyways, the original poster was obviously refering to Roy Munson. The best one-handed bowler ever.

Vic Rattlehead*

Jon Prescription said:
Nice that both Ward and Lundqvist have looked great in their debuts. Great to see some young gun goalies break into the league that weren't that hyped when drafted (ala Fleury / Luongo).

Toivonen allowed six goal in his debut, but the Bruins have no defence whatsoever and the Penguins have a great offence. He did make some great saves in the third period against Lemieux, which kept the Bruins in the game.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
luongofan said:
Ward played EXTREMELY well in his first game. However, I think the ROY race this year is a 2 man show.

You're quite mistaken my friend, this race is wide open and will go down to the wire. Not saying Ward has a chance, I doubt he even comes close due to the fact he's on Carolina and he'll split time with Gerber..but there's just soo many good rookies this year.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Draft Guru said:
You're quite mistaken my friend, this race is wide open and will go down to the wire. Not saying Ward has a chance, I doubt he even comes close due to the fact he's on Carolina and he'll split time with Gerber..but there's just soo many good rookies this year.

I think that because of the hype, someone will have to significantly outplay Crosby to win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->