Blue Jays Discussion: Roy Halladay elected to 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame class

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I wasn't a fan when everyone started bashing this guy. And I am telling everyone that this will be the biggest blunder the Jays have ever made in history. Letting this guy go to a rival and paying him to do so. Tulo is going to have a bounce back season, and I really hope he does.

It's a good thing you're not going overboard with hyperbole or anything...

:laugh:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I wasn't a fan when everyone started bashing this guy. And I am telling everyone that this will be the biggest blunder the Jays have ever made in history. Letting this guy go to a rival and paying him to do so. Tulo is going to have a bounce back season, and I really hope he does.

I'll give you $20 if Tulo doesn't start the year on the DL.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Guy can build a farm but the Myers extension and Hosmer deal looks horrible. He better hope Machado works out because that is 56.5M, 73.5M (3 years) spent on Machado, Hosmer and Myers (whom alternate being a league average hitters and an above league average hitters) and Myers sometimes doesnt have a position, well he does now... for now.

Preller can make great trades and build a farm. But his signings have been suspect imo.

But i will say this looks to be a very deadly lineup very soon;

C: Mejia
1B: Hosmer
2B: Urias
SS: Tatis Jr.
3B: Machado
LF: Myers
CF: Margot
RF: Reyes

Myers will have 3 more years after this one, and Hosmer’s deal is frontloaded (drops to 13m per last 3 seasons). That falls in line right when most of his young core is just starting their arb, lol.

Can’t even hate on the guy for his signings. He gave Shields a fat contract and moved him for Tatis. Picked up Richards as he’s rehabbing after TJS. Got Kinsler on the cheap for a vet presi. Claimed Hand off waivers from the Marlins, claimed Yates off waivers from the Angels, signed Pirela to a minor league contract. Signed Stammen to a minor league deal and then a 2 year extension.

The lineup will look solid, but the arms that he has at his disposal is the most crucial trait. Like a pre-2013 Jays, except they’re not all in single A.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
This is a big ole yikes. Like every bit of it.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
As a Jays fan I can only hope Tulo bounces back to that 0.1 WAR season he had in 2017.. would mean the Yanks are losing

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
What does your buddy Kyperos think though?

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Stroman's latest quote, saying you won't find guys that want to embody Toronto because it's unnatural... did he lose a bet and have to become the most unlikeable guy in Toronto?

Edit: My avatar becomes humorous now.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Me saying we should take the best offer for Stroman ain’t looking so bad now.

Dude is clearly not focused on the season ahead. I’d bet money he has a poor year, that mixed with his recent “outbursts” (for a lack of a better term) is going to drop his value even lower.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Myers will have 3 more years after this one, and Hosmer’s deal is frontloaded (drops to 13m per last 3 seasons). That falls in line right when most of his young core is just starting their arb, lol.

Doesnt elude the fact that they are bad deals. You can get similar players who play similar positions for a fraction of the cost and term. Heck they might even have some in their system right now.

He has done a great job building the farm and in some trades but there is plenty to question.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
This is the best thing that could've happened to management. Now they can trade a fan favourite without recourse.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Do we have options left on Stroman? Send him to the f***ing Dominican Summer League and be done with the moron.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Doesnt elude the fact that they are bad deals. You can get similar players who play similar positions for a fraction of the cost and term. Heck they might even have some in their system right now.

He has done a great job building the farm and in some trades but there is plenty to question.

They aren’t necessarily bad though because he bought on potential for a rebuilding team. Hosmer might produce every other year but in those seasons there aren’t very many 1B as good as him.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

There's no such thing as perfection. Preller is showing that you can take risks in FA and do enough elsewhere to not bury yourself instead of waiting for the perfect contention window.

Do we have options left on Stroman? Send him to the ****ing Dominican Summer League and be done with the moron.

I concur. The true hallmark of a good franchise is to exile a player who wants to win.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hosmer's contract is just awful.

Yeah but Preller took a chance to add to a soon to be competitive team. Sometimes it's worth paying that free agent contract to provide support to the nucleus. Adding Machado, while still having room to add a guy like Harper, shows in the grand scheme of things Hosmer's contract isn't really an issue.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Yeah but Preller took a chance to add to a soon to be competitive team. Sometimes it's worth paying that free agent contract to provide support to the nucleus. Adding Machado, while still having room to add a guy like Harper, shows in the grand scheme of things Hosmer's contract isn't really an issue.
that is what I was hoping the Jays would do with a Harper or any quality FA like Keuchel yeah you get him this year in a rebuild but next year you got almost a full year of Vlad plus Bichette should be ready now you got a nice nucleus and you can add with your farm or trade to add pieces.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

The strategy is great, but the target was terrible.

Reactions: phillipmike

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
that is what I was hoping the Jays would do with a Harper or any quality FA like Keuchel yeah you get him this year in a rebuild but next year you got almost a full year of Vlad plus Bichette should be ready now you got a nice nucleus and you can add with your farm or trade to add pieces.

I really don't think the Jays management sees the rebuild as a one-year deal, especially given how strong Boston, NY and even TB are going to be in the next few years. We'd be wasting 2-3 years of Keuchel, and by the time we're ready to compete again he'd be a liability.

Plus we'd have to pay a premium to attract a name free agent pitcher to a rebuilding team in the same division as the Yanks and Red Sox.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I really don't think the Jays management sees the rebuild as a one-year deal, especially given how strong Boston, NY and even TB are going to be in the next few years. We'd be wasting 2-3 years of Keuchel, and by the time we're ready to compete again he'd be a liability.

Plus we'd have to pay a premium to attract a name free agent pitcher to a rebuilding team in the same division as the Yanks and Red Sox.

If the plan is to waste all of the minimum cost years of Vlad Jr then our management should be out the door ASAP.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Boston basically has a two year window, and they'll have to make some major adjustments to keep it from being a one year window.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
If the plan is to waste all of the minimum cost years of Vlad Jr then our management should be out the door ASAP.

Do you suppose this is the kind of logic that the Angels used when they signed Pujols?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Boston basically has a two year window, and they'll have to make some major adjustments to keep it from being a one year window.

You keep underestimating Boston, I think. But even if their window is only 2 years, that's added incentive for us to rebuild for these 2 years.

Jays had the oldest team in the majors last year. Yankees/Bosox/TB were in the top 10 youngest teams. Granted, in Boston's case it's a bit deceptive, but I still can't fathom this appetite and the hope for a one-year quickie rebuild in this division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->