Blue Jays Discussion: Roy Halladay elected to 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame class

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
i dont think theres a scenario where they give up service yrs on bichette and co if they didnt have to. In a perfect world they probably wish they could keep Vladdy down for another year but thats obviously not the case.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
i dont think theres a scenario where they give up service yrs on bichette and co if they didnt have to. In a perfect world they probably wish they could keep Vladdy down for another year but thats obviously not the case.

I disagree. They did it with Jansen, Tellez, SRF etc. The only one I can foresee them keeping down due to service time is Bo. However, if he starts extremely well in AAA and continues they likely call him up.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Cleveland needs money, OF help, pen help and now SS depth.

Jays need starters, have money, and prospects.

Would you trade Pillar, Travis, Urena, and Biagini for Salazar, Kipnis (taking on his 20M guaranteed) and a top 15 Cleveland Indians prospect?

Cleveland gets a good defensive outfielder, a controllable 2B and SS, and a versatile pen arm (also controllable).

Toronto gets a starter and a prospect to help their prospect pool. Kipnis is a slightly better player so he could be a trade option at the deadline.
I would do that trade

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
My next trade proposal. Seattle comes to you and offers Edwin Encarnacion for Kendrys Morales.

Seattle saves 8M this season and 5M next season.

Jays take on an additional 13M over two years and presumably get a better player to interest some fans and provide so support and protect for Vlad. Edwin might be a more attractive option to move at the deadline than Morales.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
My next trade proposal. Seattle comes to you and offers Edwin Encarnacion for Kendrys Morales.

Jays take on an additional 13M over two years and presumably get a better player to interest some fans and provide so support and protect for Vlad. Edwin might be a more attractive option to move at the deadline than Morales.

Sign me up.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Farm system rankings: Position players 10-1

Jays are ranked 2nd behind the Rays with respect to position player prospects. Jays were number 2 last year too.

tor.png

2. Toronto Blue Jays

Life's good when you have baseball's top prospect. In his third pro season, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. continued to put up monster numbers, and he has the tools -- including a very rare 80-grade hit tool -- to prove it's not a fluke. While his defense remains a question, Guerrero made strides at third base last year but could move to first or DH down the line; his bat still would make him an All-Star. While Bo Bichette was going hit-for-hit with Guerrero in 2017, he came back to earth last year. The shortstop still piled up 61 extra-base hits, 74 RBIs and 32 stolen bases at Double-A. Catcher Danny Jansencollected a career-best 12 homers and 58 RBIs in 88 games en route to his Major League debut, while fellow backstop Reese McGuire, first baseman Rowdy Tellezand outfielders Anthony Alford, Jonathan Davis and Billy McKinney also made it to Rogers Centre. Aside from Guerrero -- who missed six weeks with an injury -- Cavan Biggio was the most electric hitter in the system last year. The left-handed batter led the organization with 26 homers and 99 RBIs and topped the Eastern League with an .887 OPS. In their first full seasons, 2017 picks Kevin Smith and Logan Warmoth climbed to Class A Advanced, though the latter battled injuries. Last year's second-rounders, Jordan Groshans and Griffin Conine, along with 2017 international signee Miguel Hiraldo started off with a bang but were challenged after promotions. Toronto added depth by trading for shortstop Santiago Espinal (from Boston) in June, outfielder Forrest Wall (from Colorado) in July and shortstop Ronny Brito (from the Dodgers) in January, as well as signing shortstop Orelvis Martinez. It's easy to hang your hat on having the top prospect, but the Blue Jays have a great deal more -- and Guerrero really is that good.

Reactions: Garlando

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Eh... I think I want something back if I'm going to burn an extra $13 million.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

I'd pass. I think having that slot open has a lot of value. With any luck, they'll flip Morales at TDL

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Keith Law tweet in 3...2.....1......

I'm curious where MLB Pipeline will rank them. The AL East gets released Monday but the top 10 systems later on in the month. Sincerely doubt we see the Jays on Monday. Of note Red Sox were last on BA and the list in this post.

Jays were ranked third on this list too Bleacher Report's Updated Farm System Rankings at the Start of 2019

Jays have a players at every level which is excellent to see.

Reactions: kb

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

No interest at all in bringing EE back. Loved him as a Jay but those days are done. They like something about Morales so I'll try they see added value in that for someone like Vlad. He'll have some value at the deadline if he's hitting. Won't bring back much but they'll find him a home. We'll need the space and filling it with another year of ee is of no interest to me. If we had an open spot I wouldn't be opposed but we don't

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I don't see the value proposition.

Edwin is on a longer and more expensive contract, is not significantly better than Morales to the degree that it matters, and doesn't add any extra positional value or benefits. The value of Morales to the Blue Jays is that this season is it for him. They can find a team that needs a playoff bench bat, or if they don't he simply walks in December for free. Plus there's whatever stock you want to put into elements like him being a mentor to Gurriel and potentially Vlad when he arrives.

Is Edwin a strictly better player? Sure. Would he be more well received by casual fans because of his history vs Morales largely being disliked or (at best) tolerated? Probably. Does it make for an enticing trade idea? Only if a) the Jays can get a little sweetener from the M's and b) they have some sort of assurances that if they don't want or need Edwin back next year, he won't be picking up his player option.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Not that signing someone better would have been BAD, but I prefer them bringing in guys like Axford for the pen on minor league deals because it gives them options without blocking any of the young guys trying to earn a spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->