Blue Jays Discussion: Roy Halladay elected to 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame class

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
eh, Torres can't even field 2B, let alone SS.

and Barnes? having one 250pa stint of MLB competence 2yrs ago at age 27 probably isn't a great indicator of future success.

Uh huh, and the 34 year old who hasn't played an inning in 579 days is going to supplant one of Lemahieu or the former #1 prospect in baseball.

I can see what's left of Russell Martin splitting time. But one of the best pitch framers in baseball (Barnes) will likely see the greater share of time.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Players will come if you win, any team not named the Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers doesn't offer anything the Jays can't. You'll see this start to change in the near future, Toronto in today's generation isn't thought of in the same manner it was in the 2000's and beyond. People know it's a world class city and akin to playing in NY, LA, Chicago in regards to national exposure (In Canada). The best pitcher of all time (Clemens) signed in his prime with the Jays, Price wanted to be here but the Jays weren't offering him a contract. There's no reason players wouldn't come here if the foundation is set, some of y'all stuck in the past with that nobody wants to come to Toronto stuff. Realize what culture and society has positively done for Toronto.

They better get a new home...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Uh huh, and the 34 year old who hasn't played an inning in 579 days is going to supplant one of Lemahieu or the former #1 prospect in baseball.

you're right, it's crazy to think that the elite 2-way hall of fame SS might "supplant"...er....a couple second basemen.

I can see what's left of Russell Martin splitting time. But one of the best pitch framers in baseball (Barnes) will likely see the greater share of time.

yep, could be that contender chooses to start the 29yr old with 574 career plate appearances.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
you're right, it's crazy to think that the elite 2-way hall of fame SS might "supplant"...er....a couple second basemen.

Why do you insist on pretending like you're stupid? You already know this, but:

A) Tulo hasn't been "elite" in years and his age and further physical deterioration since then in no way suggests that he will magically start playing like his old self again.
B) There isn't even any proof that he himself is a SS anymore LMAO. You think that its a given? The number of quantifiably "good" defensive shortstops in his age range is minuscule. The few that do exist probably didn't suffer years of chronic injuries either. No one has even seen him play an inning defensively since an ankle injury that was so serious he missed an entire season's worth of time, but you're right Zeke: its probably a given that he's still a Gold Glove, "HOF" shortstop LMAO.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
why waste a year of vladdy's control if we're punting the season?

he's only 20. he can use more time in AAA.

This may actually happen who knows. But in his case he has torn it up at every level already. He's ready for the show. The others like Bichette, Smith, Biggio, McGuire, Tellez etc... are still inconsistent. Let them have seasons like Vladdy did last prior to bringing up for fulltime duty.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Shouldn't we be interested in a mid rotation starter like Sonny Gray?

giphy.gif

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Shouldn't we be interested in a mid rotation starter like Sonny Gray?

What for? We should all be ok hoping for the kids to continue to grow and hopefully finish as low in the standings as possible so we can get a top 3 pick.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC

It’s like you’ve missed the last couple years of baseball.

yep, could be that contender chooses to start the 29yr old with 574 career plate appearances.

YaGirlCheatinOnUs

Mar 4, 2011
The 10 Worst Contracts in Major League Baseball | Baseball Essential (article from June 2018 but still relevant - missing Tulo's contract)

Every offseason, some team overpays, or spends big money to retain or bring in a prized free agent. But more often than not, those massive contracts don’t pan out the way teams pray they do, especially towards the backend of them. Here are the 10 worst contracts in Major League Baseball.

10) Homer Bailey — fifth year of a six-year, $105 million deal

Homer Bailey was quietly one of the more underrated righties in the game just five years ago. But back in 2014, the Cincinnati Reds opted to give Bailey a six-year deal which they now immensely regret. He’s started just 61 games since signing the deal and recorded ERAs over five from 2015-17.
The Reds thought Bailey would prosper and continue to be a viable top-of-the-rotation starter, but he’s now a salary they wouldn’t mind to begone with​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

9) Felix Hernandez — sixth year of a seven-year, $175 million deal

Seattle Mariners righty, Felix Hernandez, was, at one point, the most intimidating right-hander in the game. Unfortunately for he and the Mariners, he’s now one of the most overpaid players in the game.
He’s having the worst season of his career (Hernandez currently owns a career-worst 5.10 ERA and 1.35 WHIP), has been on the disabled list in years past, and is reeling in, on average, $25 million a year.​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He’s a classic example of how giving players massive contracts in their prime can backfire at the backend of the deal.

8) Jordan Zimmermann — third year of a five-year, $110 million deal

Jordan Zimmermann was a top-10 starter after the 2014 season and was still a premier righty when he hit the open market after the 2015 season, but he’s now a shell of his old self. He puts runners on base with ease and has struggled to remain heathy and be the top-of-the-rotation force that the Detroit Tigers signed him to be. Last season, he even recorded career-worsts in ERA (6.08), WHIP (1.55), and home runs (29).
Due $74 million through 2020, Zimmermann has one of the worst contracts in the game and will be hard to move via trade​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

7) Yoenis Cespedes — second year of a four-year, $110 million deal

Yoenis Cespedes, when healthy, is one of the best power-hitting and all-around outfielders in baseball, but that’s where the problem lies with the 32-year-old. He’s the most important player on the Mets roster. Without him, their lineup crumbles.
Over the last two years, Cepsedes has played just 118 games, and there are even times when it appears he’s playing through injury — which is admirable.​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
But for the Mets, their best player struggles to stay on the field and they pay him, on average, $27.5 million per year

JacobyEllsburyDetroitTigersvNewYorkpyn7y506Zsil-300x219.jpg

6) Jacoby Ellsbury — fifth year of a seven-year, $153 million deal

The New York Yankees went on a spending spree after the 2013 season, and outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury was a big part of it. Four years later, it’s one of general manager Brian Cashman’s biggest mistakes. In his four years with the Yankees, Ellsbury has never hit at, or above .275, has struggled to stay healthy, and has gradually fallen out of the Yankees outfield rotation.
This season, the 34-year-old hasn’t played a single game due to injury, and if he ever returns to the field this season, Ellsbury will likely get limited playing time.​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The signing has been a complete disaster for the Yankees, and it will only get worse going forward if and when he doesn’t start upon returning

5) Jason Heyward — third year of an eight-year, $184 million deal

Jason Heyward is one of the best defensive outfielders of this decade, but his inability to be a threat at the plate makes him one of the games most overpaid players.
He’s never finished a season hitting at or above .260 with the Chicago Cubs, was, at one point, swapped in and out of manager Joe Madden’s order in the postseason, and simply striked while the iron was hot in terms of his worth in dollars.​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Cubs have the third highest payroll in the game. Imagine if they opted to spend elsewhere, or not use Heyward’s money? They could’ve been set up to make a run at two premier free agents this offseason.

4) David Price — third year of a seven-year, $217 million deal

Two offseasons ago, the Boston Red Sox felt compelled to go out and add an ace; they opted to show lefty David Price the money — which has panned out to be a disaster for Boston.
Ranging from enduring an elbow scare last season, to disappointing in the 2016 postseason (where he surrendered five runs in 3.1 innings pitched), to simply pitching with inconsistency, Price has not been as advertised for Boston.​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Sure, Price has been respectable when he’s taken the hill, but the ace of old is no more. Red Sox president Dave Dombrowski is known for being aggressive on the trade and free agent market, but the signing of Price has not been some of his most finest work.

DavidWrightMilwaukeeBrewersvsNewYorkCqTZKbJiZCal-300x208.jpg

3) David Wright — sixth year of an eight-year, $138 million deal

David Wright is New York Mets’ royalty, but his inability to play in the big leagues is killing their payroll. He hasn’t played in a Major League game since 2016 and played a combined 75 games from 2015-16. Wright continues to try to return to form and make it back to the big leagues, and it’s not out of the realm of possibility that he’ll do so.
But given his financial situation and injury prone track record, the 35-year-old is and has been one of the game’s worst contracts​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2) Chris Davis — third year of a seven-year, $161 million deal

Three years ago, Baltimore Orioles first baseman Chris Davis was one of the most feared left-handed hitters in the game. He demolished baseballs and even hit a combined 164 home runs from 2013-16. But in the past two years, this one in particular, he’s fallen off a cliff and is one of the worst hitters in the game.
Hitting just .152 and recording 98 strikeouts in 65 games this season, he’s basically been a veteran version of Joey Gallo
z3zrULC.gif
Under contract through 2022 and having money deferred through 2037, the Orioles will constantly be reminded of the $161 million mistake they made in re-signing Davis​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

1) Miguel Cabrera — third year of an eight-year, $248 million deal

Detroit Tigers corner infielder, Miguel Cabrera, is one of the greatest hitters in MLB history; he’s a career .316 hitter who hits for contact and has booming power.
But based on his 2017 play (Cabrera hit a career-worst .249 and drove in just 60 runs in 2017), the fact that he’s 35 and recently suffered a ruptured biceps tendon — ending his season — Cabrera’s contract is the worst in baseball.​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He’s due $30 million-plus annually through 2023, and he could potentially be on the Tigers’ payroll through 2025 given that he has a mutual option for $30 million per season in 2024 and 2025. That means in seven years, the Tigers could be paying a 42-year-old, out his prime, $30 million a year; it’s arguably the worst contract in baseball history
z3zrULC.gif

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

And, he said, if he did hurt anyone — and, obviously, he did — he is sorry.

“Yeah, (my) world changed all of a sudden. And you know what? It’s not a bad thing,” said Zaun. “I’ve got a wife who I love to pieces and I have a four-year-old daughter who I want to see grow up in a world where she doesn’t have to put up with all that crap.”

And by “crap” he means feeling uncomfortable in a work environment because of her gender.

The 47-year-old former catcher, who retired from pro ball in 2011, said his family has stuck by his side, as have most of his friends. That, he said, has been the one blessing that has come out of the affair.

“I’m not a choirboy, never have been, never will be,” said Zaun, who landed in hot water previously with some ill-advised observations he posted on Twitter about some women in a Toronto bar. (He said that was a misunderstanding)."

“But the one thing I can tell you is, I know who I am as a person. I know what happened and I know what didn’t happen and I can honestly say that this has been a huge, huge learning experience for me. Humbling, for sure. But the one thing is, I know who my friends are and that’s one of the things that you can’t put a price on.”

Zaun is reluctant to talk about the days immediately following his dismissal. And he doesn’t want to give the impression he’s some kind of victim — although, again, there are things he would like to say in his defence, but believes there’s no point.

He does insist, however, that “never in a million years” would he purposely try to make someone feel uncomfortable (although that’s what he was accused of doing).

“That’s not who I am,” Zaun said. “And people who know me the best, they know that’s the truth.”

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Donaldson on departure from Jays: ‘It didn’t end the way I wanted it to end’ - TSN.ca
After winning the American League MVP in 2015 – his first season with the Jays – Donaldson played in just 36 games last season before he was dealt to the Cleveland Indians for minor league pitcher Julian Merryweather. Donaldson expanded on the way things ended Friday in a sit-down with SportsCentre’s Kara Wagland.

“It didn’t end the way that I wanted it to end in my time [in Toronto],” Donaldson said.

“The last couple years I’ve had to deal with injuries that happened on the field and that happened off the field and on rehab assignments. That’s not going to make me too thrilled about things. So at the end of the day I’m in control of my own body. I’ve learned some lessons and I’m just going to continue to try to adapt to the situation and continue to make myself the best that I can be.”

While he struggled with a calf injury last season, Donaldson says he is feeling good after signing a one-year, $23-million deal with the Atlanta Braves.

“I feel great. I’ve had a tremendous off-season. This has probably been the best off-season I’ve had in, you know, four or five years,” he said.

“Body is feeling great. I’ve made some pretty huge improvements physically and I’m feeling great going into spring training.”

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Is Bo Bichette on the same service clock as Vlad? Meaning can he come up anytime after April 22 or do they wait until next year?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Anyone can come up whenever, service time is days spent in the majors/173

That’s right....thanks. So if he’s ready in June, for e.g., they’ll likely bring him up, if he’s not then they may wait until next year.

Anyway I’m actually excited to see what this new manger brings. I bet the season won’t be as painful as some of the media is predicting.

Reactions: Mach85

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
That’s right....thanks. So if he’s ready in June, for e.g., they’ll likely bring him up, if he’s not then they may wait until next year.

Anyway I’m actually excited to see what this new manger brings. I bet the season won’t be as painful as some of the media is predicting.
It'll be exciting more than anything. I've been a Jays fan since 2005, I don't think there's ever been a prospect as highly touted as Vlad Jr to come through the Jays farm system in recent time.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It'll be exciting more than anything. I've been a Jays fan since 2005, I don't think there's ever been a prospect as highly touted as Vlad Jr to come through the Jays farm system in recent time.

I’ve been a fan since ‘77. You can take your “recent time” back to then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad