Blue Jays Discussion: Roy Halladay elected to 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame class

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
In theory we could swoop in and sign Harper.

We won’t, but he’s there for the taking if someone offers him money

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Blue Jays' Opening Day roster prediction

I agree with all of this except for the pen. As mention in the article there will be pen additions.

The pen isn't even that far off.

Giles, Tepera, Biagini, and Mayza are pretty close to sure things to be there barring injury or a severe case of Sudden Onset Jesse Chavez Syndrome. Luciano has to be there or else be offered back to the Royals, so he'll be somewhere in the back of the pen in the garbage time/ultra-low-leverage role unless he wows everyone in camp. That's 5 spots out of an 8-man projected pen. If Romo takes the contract offer, that's 6. Now we're down to 2 spots left out of some batch of Paulino, Leiter, Waguespack, Phelps, Perez, Murphy, and possibly outside shot on the guys who are probably better suited to begin as Buffalo starters (Merryweather, Gaviglio, Thornton). So maybe there's still an add or two, or a rash of "that guy's still in the league?" spring invites, but that pen projection is probably no worse than 50-60% accurate.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
out of curiosity with how horrid our season went last year will we be receiving one of the competitive balance picks in this years draft. I'm not exactly sure how they are handed out in hence the question

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Just looking at the roster predictions and Travis really needs to have a great camp and start to the year. Excluding Drury, also have players like Bichette and Biggio potentially taking his spot.

Travis was a negative WAR player last year.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Just looking at the roster predictions and Travis really needs to have a great camp and start to the year. Excluding Drury, also have players like Bichette and Biggio potentially taking his spot.

Travis was a negative WAR player last year.
Bichette and Biggio really aren't threats to his spot this year at all.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Bichette and Biggio really aren't threats to his spot this year at all.
Anybody who is starting the year in AAA is a threat to take somebodys job in the big leagues. If they arent a threat its simply because they view bo as a shortstop long term and view biggio as a corner outfielder\utility guy rather than a everyday two bagger. Bottom line is that travis has to deliver or somebody will be there to take his job. Its put up or shut up time at this point for the muscle hamster.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

A shortstop by trade, Espinal is going to eventually provide Jays manager Charlie Montoyo another moving infield part – perhaps as soon as this summer.

“They asked me the same thing, and what I told them was, ‘To me, it doesn’t matter,’” Espinal said of where he plays defensively. “I feel comfortable at second, short, and third. It really doesn’t matter to me. I can play all positions and I feel comfortable doing it. It doesn’t matter where they put me, I’ll be ready to play.”

After monitoring Espinal in the Arizona Fall League for a few weeks, Blue Jays director of player development Gil Kim came away believing the 24-year-old will be able to contribute sooner rather than later, setting him up for an important spring training in his first big-league camp as a non-roster invitee.

Despite a logjam of veteran infielders and Bo Bichette slated for everyday work as the Triple-A shortstop, Espinal is viewed as a player who’s close.

“Santy can be a dynamic player,” Kim said. “He’s a solid shortstop, good hands, good arm, and he can bounce around to second, third, short, and he can put the bat on the ball and make things happen. He did good things in Double-A for us and contributed to that championship."

“We’re seeing strides with his ability to square up the baseball and defend at any spot. We’re definitely excited about him [in 2019].”

Reactions: Anthrax442

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Anybody who is starting the year in AAA is a threat to take somebodys job in the big leagues. If they arent a threat its simply because they view bo as a shortstop long term and view biggio as a corner outfielder\utility guy rather than a everyday two bagger. Bottom line is that travis has to deliver or somebody will be there to take his job. Its put up or shut up time at this point for the muscle hamster.

There is absolutely zero chance Bichette or Biggio start the year in the majors and unless the Jays are in contention (lol!) there's no chance they are up this year.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Yeah, but I don't think his performance in camp will have any impact on that. Bichette and Biggio aren't taking his spot out of camp.

Reactions: stickty111

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
There is absolutely zero chance Bichette or Biggio start the year in the majors and unless the Jays are in contention (lol!) there's no chance they are up this year.

I could see Bichette up after he clears Super Two if he's earned it and a spot is available. I could see Biggio up at any time if he earns it because he's likely not worth worrying about service time.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I like Espinal a lot. Hopefully he can keep the groundball rate down this year and continue the kind of success he had at A+ because that profile (solid power, solid walk rate, great contact skills, versatile infield defender) is awesome.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
He clearly was talking about this year and i said nothing about bichette or biggio starting the year with the jays.

Saying there is no chance is silly. If bichette (and\or biggio)is raking it come mid season and travis is struggling there will be a lot of internal debate about a promotion.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Cleveland needs money, OF help, pen help and now SS depth.

Jays need starters, have money, and prospects.

Would you trade Pillar, Travis, Urena, and Biagini for Salazar, Kipnis (taking on his 20M guaranteed) and a top 15 Cleveland Indians prospect?

Cleveland gets a good defensive outfielder, a controllable 2B and SS, and a versatile pen arm (also controllable).

Toronto gets a starter and a prospect to help their prospect pool. Kipnis is a slightly better player so he could be a trade option at the deadline.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
So Jays get BA's 18th best July 2 prospect.

Somehow the Yankees get the #1 guy for 5M + guy #16.

Rangers #3 + #13
Cubs #7 + #14
Padres #8 + #11

Rikelvin de Castro, SS, Dominican Republic

A lean, 6-foot shortstop, de Castro is a high-energy, hard-nosed player with a chance to develop into a plus defender, making challenging plays look easy. He's a righthanded hitter with a quick, loose stroke and gap power. Castro trains with Angel Perez and is expected with the Blue Jays, likely for north of $1 million.

Reactions: phillipmike

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
So Jays get BA's 18th best July 2 prospect.

Somehow the Yankees get the #1 guy for 5M + guy #16.

Rangers #3 + #13
Cubs #7 + #14
Padres #8 + #11

Little disappointing we can’t get some of the higher ranked guys but there is always value in the lower ranked ones too. Plus we were lucky to get Pardinho, Hiraldo and Martinez these last 2 seasons.

Jays will get some good prospects in the draft along with prospects in trades mid season and the system can only bare so much in addition to the development staff’s time, resources and attention.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Little disappointing we can’t get some of the higher ranked guys but there is always value in the lower ranked ones too. Plus we were lucky to get Pardinho, Hiraldo and Martinez these last 2 seasons.

Jays will get some good prospects in the draft along with prospects in trades mid season and the system can only bare so much in addition to the development staff’s time, resources and attention.

If we get 4 guys in the top 30 then that's more like our approach a few seasons ago, when we got Hiraldo, Jimenez, and Pardinho, than last year with Orelvis.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
If we get 4 guys in the top 30 then that's more like our approach a few seasons ago, when we got Hiraldo, Jimenez, and Pardinho, than last year with Orelvis.

Depending what lists you look at I would say that 2017 IFA was much better than what BA’s thought. MLB.com had Paradinho as the best arm in the group and Hiraldo having potentially the best raw bat.

If what you are saying we can expect something similar to 2017 then sign me up because that was a great signing period for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->