ROY: Any chance Malkin doesn't win if he comes over?

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
but there is no other prospect in Malkin's league entering the league this year.

He definatly has the Edge... but to say that there is no other prospect in his league is really an overstatement... He's the best prospect comming... but don't underestimate competition

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Aside from the language barrier I don't see any real issues. His game should translate perfectly to the NHL.

But the kid definitely needs to improve his English.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
I'm guessing that if he struggles at all this first year he will be proclaimed a bust by many here. I cannot wait to see ridiculous threads about Malkin eating humble pie

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Malkin is a generational player. He's on Crosby & Ovechkin's level. There's no other prospect on that level until potentially John Tavares.

Alexander Daigle was supposed to be as well:sarcasm:

Seriously, I think he'll be a Great Player but even so, you can't say it's a sure thing... even with a great season Yzerman didn'T win his year, Kovalchuk neither there's many example ver the years. Remember that Calder don't mean best career or best talent... just best first year:teach:

Now that being said can't wait to see him in the NHL, and see how he does.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Malkin sure thing? no never... most logical choice definitely... I dont know if theres much to debate there..... personally i hope Kopitar gets it..ah well i can always dream... something tells me he will be a special player.

gimzo23

Jan 5, 2006
If Malkin plays the whole season, not only will be win the Calder in a walk, but he could potentially be a Selke trophy nominee as well.

I think that's not impossible. I mean would have anyone thought Ovy to be a nominee for the Pearson before last season?

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Malkin sure thing? no never... most logical choice definitely... I dont know if theres much to debate there..... personally i hope Kopitar gets it..ah well i can always dream... something tells me he will be a special player.

Just to add to that... Malkin in world Championship had 9 points in seven games.. Kopitar 9 in 6, not that thats everything but i think it says something.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
No offenses to the Wolski & O'Sullivans of the world, but there is no other prospect in Malkin's league entering the league this year. Kovalchuk got the hype, but as you said Heatley was just as amazing. Malkin isn't going to have that player at his back all the way waiting for something to happen.

If Malkin plays in the NHL and is able to have a fairly good injury free season(around the 65 games Kovalchuk played as a rookie) he'll win the Calder with little competition. If he doesn't play in the NHL or has injury issues it's anyone's guess as to who wins.

I don't recall Heatley having nearly the hype that Kovalchuk brought with him in their rookie year. Yes, he was progressing very well and had great college numbers, but the same could be said of O'Sullivan or Wolski. I mean, is 57 pts in 39 games in the NCAA that much more impressive than 128 pts in 56 games? Not saying that either will be as good as Heatley, but it is completely possible that one of next year's rookies do have as good of a rookie season. It could even be someone like Ryder in his rookie season, an older player who has a great season (Ryder's rookie season he put up only 1 less goal and 3 less assists). It would've been theoretically possible for Ryder to have taken the Calder from Kovalchuk as well.

The point in all this, is that every year there are surprises, and often the hyped super stars aren't as good as billed. And even when they are, sometimes the surprises just happen to be better. But, of next year's rookies, I would be absolutely shocked if any of them outside of Malkin have a Crosby/Ovechkin-esque rookie season. If Malkin does have a similar year, I think he's a lock. I just don't think he's a lock to have a similar year.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
If Malkin does have a similar year, I think he's a lock. I just don't think he's a lock to have a similar year.

That is a VERY BIG IF

And in that I think I'll agree that he's not a lock for it ;)

Edit: I didn't copy the rest of the post but you very well summarised the situation.

mattlef

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto, ON
www.youtube.com
Nothing in the NHL is for certain. Anything can happen...
And the perfect example is who would have thought that Daniel Alfredson would walk away with the calder in 1996? Anything can happen.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
And the perfect example is who would have thought that Daniel Alfredson would walk away with the calder in 1996? Anything can happen.

Another great example

Corona-12

May 17, 2006
BC, Canada
If Malkin plays the whole season, not only will be win the Calder in a walk, but he could potentially be a Selke trophy nominee as well.

Best defensive forward? HIGHLY improbable. Hes a rookie in the NHL and won't be used to the defensive play. Russia is quite different. Compared to the Lehtinen,Peca,Madden,Brind;Amour class, I don't think so.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Best defensive forward? HIGHLY improbable. Hes a rookie in the NHL and won't be used to the defensive play. Russia is quite different. Compared to the Lehtinen,Peca,Madden,Brind;Amour class, I don't think so.

The Ross, The Art Ross, the Norris and maybe even the Vezina if he has time ;)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't recall Heatley having nearly the hype that Kovalchuk brought with him in their rookie year. Yes, he was progressing very well and had great college numbers, but the same could be said of O'Sullivan or Wolski. I mean, is 57 pts in 39 games in the NCAA that much more impressive than 128 pts in 56 games? Not saying that either will be as good as Heatley, but it is completely possible that one of next year's rookies do have as good of a rookie season. It could even be someone like Ryder in his rookie season, an older player who has a great season (Ryder's rookie season he put up only 1 less goal and 3 less assists). It would've been theoretically possible for Ryder to have taken the Calder from Kovalchuk as well.

The point in all this, is that every year there are surprises, and often the hyped super stars aren't as good as billed. And even when they are, sometimes the surprises just happen to be better. But, of next year's rookies, I would be absolutely shocked if any of them outside of Malkin have a Crosby/Ovechkin-esque rookie season. If Malkin does have a similar year, I think he's a lock. I just don't think he's a lock to have a similar year.

Heatley was a second overall pick, it's not like he came outta nowhere. If Kovalchuk didn't get hurt Kovalchuk would have won the Calder.

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site

I agree with this statement, at this point Malkin is the favorite ... if he comes over. But like mattlef said. ANY THING CAN HAPPEN.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
There will be other great rookies in the league this year that could compete. Boston could end up with 2 finalists (I'm biased leave me alone).

Toivonnen and Kessel (If he plays)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You know what, let's just let Malkin not play this season, hand him the Calder, and just assume that he will have 45 goals and 60 assists

It wouldn't be the first time a prospect given such accolades comes up and bombs their first season should it happen.

Viking Penguin*

Alexander Daigle was supposed to be as well:sarcasm:

Alexander Daigle was nothing like Malkin. No one compares to him for the Calder race. If he does not get hurt he will win hands down. He may even win the art ross or hart trophy.
Crosby was no sure fire winner last year. In fact, I recall many experts saying Ovechkin would take it in the end. AO was older and in a better position to win.

My prediction is this Malkin 82 GP 55 G 60 A 115 Points

:teach: :clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad