Post-Game Talk (GBU): ROW? We ain't got to show you no stinking ROW...

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Whoa.

97vdoj.jpg

Another girl who knows nothing about hockey... :sarcasm:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Apparently there is a lot of talk about how bad the crowd is during post-game. Three game wining streak and the boo birds were out again.

The boo birds were well deserved. They only came out after extremely extended shifts spent hemmed in their own zone.

Good:
- NJs forecheck was ridiculous. Another team capable of getting the puck out would have had chances at a few odd man rushes.
- Ott, Miller, Kaleta
- Myers, for the most part. Still having issues on turnovers, but still looked much more confident carrying the puck and in the offensive zone.

Bad:
- Getting hemmed, especially one shift that must have been at least 2 minutes straight
- Something is up with that ice. Not only were the Sabres losing battles, but when they did have a chance for the puck, it would bounce over their stick or something else.

Ugly:
- The lack of support in the D-zone. The defense half the time had no where to go with the puck. Then other teams the forwards would chip it BACK instead of trying to get the ****ing puck out of the zone.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The boo birds were well deserved. They only came out after extremely extended shifts spent hemmed in their own zone.

Good:
- NJs forecheck was ridiculous. Another team capable of getting the puck out would have had chances at a few odd man rushes.
- Ott, Miller, Kaleta
- Myers, for the most part. Still having issues on turnovers, but still looked much more confident carrying the puck and in the offensive zone.

Bad:
- Getting hemmed, especially one shift that must have been at least 2 minutes straight
- Something is up with that ice. Not only were the Sabres losing battles, but when they did have a chance for the puck, it would bounce over their stick or something else.

Ugly:
- The lack of support in the D-zone. The defense half the time had no where to go with the puck. Then other teams the forwards would chip it BACK instead of trying to get the ****ing puck out of the zone.

A couple of comments or observations on the Sabres getting hemmed in their own zone...

1.) I'm sure you'll agree that the Devils executed the 2 - 1 - 2 low forecheck as well as any team could have. Outstanding anticipation by all the Devils players. And across multiple lines. Sabres D had no where to go with the puck because everyone was covered. There were simply no options for our D other than reversing the puck back to their D partner. And he was immediately set upon by 2 Jersey forecheckers.

2.) The Devils were supremely mobile last night. And very effective at stealth obstruction. It was like pre- rule change clutch and grab out there. There were many instances of interference that kept the Sabres from having any clear path to the puck. NJ's style was rewarded by a.) their quickness and b.) the ref's via non calls. (Not making an excuse here but several times it was obvious that Sabre sticks and arms were being held in tight to the body.)

3.) The Sabres lack of size and physicality was telling in their own zone. They could not control the Devils by angling, positioning and and pinning their opponents. Jersey just brushed them off as long as they kept their feet moving and danced around the Sabres D.

4.) It was frustrating that the Sabres would rather try to play the stick and the puck. Clearly the Devil's have better skills in this area. Which allowed them to take advantage of a lot of those fortuitous bounces (both teams played on the same ice surface so you can't blame the ice).

5.) Size matters... NJ seemed to be able to brush off our D's and F's attempts to knock them off the puck..... not withstanding Kaleta's and Ott's big hits. We need Regehr-level size and physicality. But at NHL elite speeds (which RR no longer has.....)

6.) It was one of those nights where Jersey anticipated every clearing pass and the puck bounced well for them. Sabres (Ott, Kaleta) could block shots and the rebound would go right to another Devil's player's stick. Uncanny. But that happens sometimes.

Yet, although the Sabres were dominated, they appeared (to me) to keep their focus, intensity and position. They checked off properly in most cases. There was way less panic than I've seen earlier in the season.

I'm not giving the Sabres any props here. They WERE dominated by NJ's forecheck and normally, teams lose when that happens. No question there's a serious need for improvement.

But overall, I think the team weathered the adversity much better than previously demonstrated. By holding themselves together, they managed to eak out a win they barely earned. Maybe the team's culture is starting to change ever so slightly?:dunno:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Good points, lhc.

Particularly:
6.) It was one of those nights where Jersey anticipated every clearing pass and the puck bounced well for them. Sabres (Ott, Kaleta) could block shots and the rebound would go right to another Devil's player's stick. Uncanny. But that happens sometimes.

It was maddening to watch. I know part of it's how their forecheck worked, but they really were getting so many good bounces.

I was shocked how deep their players were on the forecheck. Like I said before, if the Sabres could have broken through that forecheck, there was opportunity for some odd man rushes.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Good points, lhc.

Particularly:

It was maddening to watch. I know part of it's how their forecheck worked, but they really were getting so many good bounces.

I was shocked how deep their players were on the forecheck. Like I said before, if the Sabres could have broken through that forecheck, there was opportunity for some odd man rushes.

Danke.....

Agree about opportunities that are presented by beating that forecheck. I'm thinking Jersey played that way because they don't fear the Sabres D 1st pass out of the zone/outlet passing skills. (Much less the break out skill of our wings in their own zone... a problem most of the season...)

Jersey wouldn't have gone so deep if we had a Ray Borque or Rob Blake back there. Size, physicality, quickness, vision and elite 1st pass skills. I don't see all of those combined in any current Sabre defenseman.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
So we can't criticize our players even though they play poorly. Gotcha

To be fair I think the original comment was more to do with the posters who say we should trade Myers after every bad play he makes, not to do with the posters who say he should be better but at least it wasn't all bad/his improving.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
U:
-Tyler Myers, reaching, falling, giving up chances, poor positioning. Is he exploring everything you're not supposed to do as a defenseman before he tries to do the right things?

100 points for you, kind sir. I totally agree on everything you said. Myers is just playing ridiculous. He was a big part of both goals against Buffalo, especially on the first. Giving a soft pass to the d-partner behind the goal when you're on the PK is not a good idea, especially against a heavy forechecking team like the Devils. :facepalm:

btw: I just wanna say that I really hate David Clarkson with passion now. k thx.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
100 points for you, kind sir. I totally agree on everything you said. Myers is just playing ridiculous. He was a big part of both goals against Buffalo, especially on the first. Giving a soft pass to the d-partner behind the goal when you're on the PK is not a good idea, especially against a heavy forechecking team like the Devils. :facepalm:

btw: I just wanna say that I really hate David Clarkson with passion now. k thx.

I think at this point that every mistake Myers makes gets magnified. He has actually played much better the last few weeks. Not perfect mind you, but better.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
I think at this point that every mistake Myers makes gets magnified. He has actually played much better the last few weeks. Not perfect mind you, but better.

Yeah I know that he is slightly better than at the beginning of the season, but due to his projected position in the team and his payroll impact, he still has to get waaaaaaaay better than he plays right now.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Oh please. He's played poorly most of this year, most of last year. He deserves what he gets until he showed he can play better consistently.

Agreed.

He's played well the last 5 games or so. At least from what I've been able to watch. It's odd to me that this trend continues with him. I know young defenseman go through growing pains, but his always come in the beginning of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->