Post-Game Talk (GBU): ROW? We ain't got to show you no stinking ROW...

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
You never know who is going to unexpectedly drop on draft day...nobody in their right mind though Grigorenko would fall to our pick. Sometimes you get lucky and the guy dropped for no good reason, or because there was a run at another position, sometimes the guy dropped because he wasn't as good as initially thought...but it's too early to start panicking over a draft spot.
Actually, numerous services started dropping him and McKenzie's poll of scouts had him right where we picked him.

In hindsight, it was deserved.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The higher you pick the higher the chance you have at getting a better player. It's really that simple.

We're basically out of the running for one of the three real elite guys already and it's all for nothing. They're not making the playoffs, only hurting the rebuild.

Even if they could make the playoffs, can you imagine what Pittsburgh would do to this team in a "7" game series (cue people mentioning their recent victory over the Pens :laugh:)?

I'm happy to watch the Sabres win even though I intellectually want them to lose and secure as good a draft position as possible, but I wasn't very happy to watch them win like this. This is a win they stumbled into. They got thoroughly dominated for too many entire shifts. The talent and system aren't there right now. They desperately need to become a better puck possession team if they want to beat good teams consistently, and that obviously isn't going to happen without some combination of talent infusion, individual growth, and schematic alterations.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Only ones trolling are the fans *****ing and moaning about a victory.

I wouldn't mind seeing the word troll ***starred*** out... and tank pictures banned.

Since when is it a problem to complain about a victory? If this team were a Cup contender people would also complain about this victory, because the team was dominated and it should be as troubling to those who want the team to win out as it is to those who want the team to tank.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Since when is it a problem to complain about a victory? If this team were a Cup contender people would also complain about this victory, because the team was dominated and it should be as troubling to those who want the team to win out as it is to those who want the team to tank.

You misunderstood. It's perfectly acceptable to point out their flaws in the game. I am speaking at the ones that cry because of the draft position.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
good- we won! 3 game win streak ! it's important for this young team to win, builds confidence and character. it helps build team chemistry and helps attract free agents, nobody will sign to a bad team.

bad - people upset we won

ugly- the fire Darcy talk. he has had 25 months under Pegula with money to spend. he has made some good trades and his drafts have been restocking the system with good prospects. If our budget was non existent for free agents, how do you think our scouting and development budgets were? Were the Ville & Ehrhoff signings enough to win a cup? Probly not, but they were important for the franchise, they show that the team is willing to spend money to attract free agents. Darcy has been building this team from the bottom up, creating a stable foundation through prospects and a coach with a developmental background.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
G:

- One change I've seen is the effort level. Though the Sabres looked like an AHL team for about half the game vs. NJ, they worked hard. Good to see.
- I got a 1996-ish feel from the team tonight. Really physical, short on talent, long on hustle.

B:

- The team knew that NJ was going to forecheck hard. Too many stupid decisions in their own zone.
- The Sabre I would least like to drink a beer with is Miller. Debbie downer.

U:

- Mike Milbury. I'm not certain Buffalo could do anything that he'd approve of. Not that I care. How'd the Islanders work out for ya?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
So Strader hates the Sabres...no news there.

Good:

- I don't know...but I see a steadier Myers the last 6-8 games than at any point at all this year...more confidence...but still not near his max contribution level, or what have you

- I love Pysyk on the PP... nothing happened tonight, but you see that he has the intelligence, puck poise, and vision to be a mainstay. Improving

Bad:

- Ennis...tons of giveaways, and one nice backcheck doesn't erase a bad evening

- Stafford...invisible until OT

- PP at the end of the game: Stafford/Gerbe/Flynn....would certainly not be my choice if I were coaching...but I'm not.

- Luke Adam was invisible

- Steve Ott on the PK... he is frustratingly ALWAYS too low, puck gets kicked out to his point man, and 8/10 times it's getting through, even though he's attempting to give his body up and block the shot. Positional discipline is necessary... stop getting sucked in deep

- we lost EVERY puck battle

- Second (or third) to every loose puck

- Porter/Flynn with their first noticeably poor game as a duo

Ugly:

- overall amount of giveaways/turnovers, felt exponential and poorly timed

- too much flat footed nonchalance in all three zones

- FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CAN ANYONE ON A 2-ON-1 SHOW ANY SIGNS OF BEING A THREAT TO SCORE WHEN THEY'RE THE PRIMARY PUCK CARRIER? HOLY ****ING ****. Stop gliding in on the odd man rushes, always TELEGRAPHING the notion that your first (AND ONLY) option/preference is to pass. GET SELFISH and take a ****ing shot.

- Wingers (ADAM) .... STOP CHEATING OUT OF THE ZONE ON THE BREAKOUT... D looks to pass to you at the hashes, and you're behind the opposing dmen OUTSIDE OF THE LINE. I know they pinched up a lot, but you still need to get your ass low and be the support outlet you learn to be as a squirt

- nice save on the SHG, Ry...mad they get

- there were chunks of 40, 50, 60, 90 seconds where the puck never left our D zone, and we looked like we were down a man or two when even strength

- third period parade to the box

this was akin to the Islander game that we got manhandled and won... and that one didn't do anything for our morale, nor did it foreshadow any future success...so I don't buy that. This was lucky.

We got worked. I'm not happy at all about the performance, but you take the two points and GEETHAFUGAOUWT.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So Strader hates the Sabres...no news there.

Good:

- I don't know...but I see a steadier Myers the last 6-8 games than at any point at all this year...more confidence...but still not near his max contribution level, or what have you

- I love Pysyk on the PP... nothing happened tonight, but you see that he has the intelligence, puck poise, and vision to be a mainstay. Improving

Bad:

- Ennis...tons of giveaways, and one nice backcheck doesn't erase a bad evening

- Stafford...invisible until OT

- PP at the end of the game: Stafford/Gerbe/Flynn....would certainly not be my choice if I were coaching...but I'm not.

- Luke Adam was invisible

- Steve Ott on the PK... he is frustratingly ALWAYS too low, puck gets kicked out to his point man, and 8/10 times it's getting through, even though he's attempting to give his body up and block the shot. Positional discipline is necessary... stop getting sucked in deep

- we lost EVERY puck battle

- Second (or third) to every loose puck

- Porter/Flynn with their first noticeably poor game as a duo

Ugly:

- overall amount of giveaways/turnovers, felt exponential and poorly timed

- too much flat footed nonchalance in all three zones

- FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CAN ANYONE ON A 2-ON-1 SHOW ANY SIGNS OF BEING A THREAT TO SCORE WHEN THEY'RE THE PRIMARY PUCK CARRIER? HOLY ****ING ****. Stop gliding in on the odd man rushes, always TELEGRAPHING the notion that your first (AND ONLY) option/preference is to pass. GET SELFISH and take a ****ing shot.

- Wingers (ADAM) .... STOP CHEATING OUT OF THE ZONE ON THE BREAKOUT... D looks to pass to you at the hashes, and you're behind the opposing dmen OUTSIDE OF THE LINE. I know they pinched up a lot, but you still need to get your ass low and be the support outlet you learn to be as a squirt

- nice save on the SHG, Ry...mad they get

- there were chunks of 40, 50, 60, 90 seconds where the puck never left our D zone, and we looked like we were down a man or two when even strength

- third period parade to the box

this was akin to the Islander game that we got manhandled and won... and that one didn't do anything for our morale, nor did it foreshadow any future success...so I don't buy that. This was lucky.

We got worked. I'm not happy at all about the performance, but you take the two points and GEETHAFUGAOUWT.

Agree about Pysyk on PP .... I'd argue having someone just be steady back there... holding puck in...sending it back into corner and smoothly moving the puck around is more important than having a bomb on the point.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Whoa.

97vdoj.jpg

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Agree about Pysyk on PP .... I'd argue having someone just be steady back there... holding puck in...sending it back into corner and smoothly moving the puck around is more important than having a bomb on the point.

His vision and anticipation are noticeable assets as well. He's always looking around, assessing options right before the puck gets to him, which is sort of tough to teach - you either do it or you don't.

He's obviously raw there, but you could see something working out for our benefit down the line if he continues to practice there

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
U: Milbury with his usual vinegar & water calling Miller a "dirty rotten cheater" for "tripping" Elias in the shootout.

Seriously.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
U: Milbury with his usual vinegar & water calling Miller a "dirty rotten cheater" for "tripping" Elias in the shootout.

Seriously.

Milbury's talented. Knowledgeable in all facets of the game. Value dearly what he says.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
To think there is a scenario where by Friday morning you could have 5 teams tied for 7th place including Buffalo.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Nice family sporting event : )

new meme possibilities?

Gerbe's possible replies:

- five hole? My **** always misses the target

- which hole is the fifth one?

- in regulation or in OT/SO?

- I'm playing really, really well right now

- I'd need more than eight minutes

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I was just happy they didn't completely self destruct. They played alright. Got pinned way too much... But majority of the team played well tonight. It was a fun one to be at.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I thought the 4th line was a huge reason for the victory tonight. They were able to break up the sustained periods of pressure through physicality and intimidation. Scott needs to play like that every night.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I thought the 4th line was a huge reason for the victory tonight. They were able to break up the sustained periods of pressure through physicality and intimidation. Scott needs to play like that every night.

Minus the Jeayahnta **** sesh

ryanbiggame*

So in retrospect your saying you rather have no sabres playoff hockey the sabres playoff hockey. You know sabres playoff hockey is a real special thing around here, I'm actually tired of these tank threads, get a low pick, blah blah. Hell, IF we make the playoffs and get knocked out of the playoffs the first round, who cares? It's great experience for the young guys. And it's also great for local establishments around the city to turn some profit to make up for the lockout.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
So in retrospect your saying you rather have no sabres playoff hockey the sabres playoff hockey. You know sabres playoff hockey is a real special thing around here, I'm actually tired of these tank threads, get a low pick, blah blah. Hell, IF we make the playoffs and get knocked out of the playoffs the first round, who cares? It's great experience for the young guys. And it's also great for local establishments around the city to turn some profit to make up for the lockout.

What?! Quite a stretch to deduce the bolded from what rob said IMO, no?

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
4 points out of 8th with same # of games played. 9 games to go. Keep it up guys! About 1/5 of the season left to go. Lots of time.

G:
- Ott with some shifts that injected some energy into the team
- Miller looked sharp for most of the night
- Miller was awesome in the shootout
- That Gerbe, Hodgson, Ott goal was a thing of beauty
- Pysyk is looking awesome.

B:
- Myers falling down all of the time. Isn't he an NHL player? He should be able to stay up on his skates.
- Getting hemmed in their own end for extended periods of time.

U:
- People who want the Sabres to lose to get a higher draft pick. Do you know what is more important than any player we could add during the offseason? The players we currently have learning how to win close games.

Ahem. Hartnell has a a charity named after him falling over. Completely agree with your 'U' point though, we are a young team and need to know how to fight in games and get together a winning streak. Pleased for them, hope this carries over. I don't really care about the draft, thats one area I do kind of trust Darcy in.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

I think what he's saying is they played a bad game and that's more troubling than the outcome of the game. If you're looking for improvement in the team it should be in constant proper execution of a game plan and a few hollow victories isn't a sign the teams winning will translate to future success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad