Post-Game Talk (GBU): ROW? We ain't got to show you no stinking ROW...

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
They're really trolling us, aren't they?

I thought darcy said at trade-deadline, that the focus is on building a cup contender. well, winning games doesn't help us in that case. we need a top 5 pick. But it looks like we won't even pick top 10.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Except with Pegula the Sabres have been very active in free agency. Nice try though.
I missed where we signed Chara or Hossa. Nice try though.

Or did you think Ehrhoff and Leino were going to make us a contender?

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
It's not a matter of "probably won't." It isn't happening. Hell, it'd be a great learning experience if this team won the cup, too. Both things have an equal chance of happening. Talking about the playoffs like they're still an option is just mind-boggling.

If you're that convinced, I have no idea why you'd even debate it. I would never debate whether water is wet. I'd just leave it well alone.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006

The Sabres have been as active in FA as any team in the NHL since Pegula bought the team (except maybe the Wild, but they've been pretty crazy).

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
If you buy into this (don't), 6-1-2 gets them in more likely than not.

Jets OTL
Habs W
Flyers W
Lightning W
Bruins W
Rangers OTL
Penguins L
Jets W
Isles W

Eh

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo

Just because Regier wants people to come here doesn't mean the players want to.

He put out very large offers for Suter, Parise and Doan. None of them chose Buffalo.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

He put out very large offers for Suter, Parise and Doan. None of them chose Buffalo.
Which is exactly what I said. We can't push the team into contender territory with free agent signings which is why we need to take our chances with drafting.

And those types of players wont come to Buffalo for a long time. There's no reason to.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

So did other teams.

Its not happening overnight.

Hockeymad

Nov 17, 2003

It is going to take a while for the stigma of letting Brier, Drury, and Soupy go to wear off. Even with the ownership change, we have to assemble credible young talent for any high profile FA to consider Buff.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010

Dude, you're just being really negative. I'm surprised you didn't add that no free agents want to come here anyways, too. Seriously dude, if you want us to cut all the players, and just keep the 5 or 6 you listed, so we can get the top pick(and lose the lottery, because you know, we're just that unlucky), and that #2 pick is going to make us so much better, then I don't even know what to say.

Having the ABILITY to be able to sign potential free agents in a time when the cap is gonna drop by a ton, is a GREAT thing, but I guess because we signed Leino, we'll always sign the wrong guy. Pegula said something about mistakes, and that meant he's gonna try till he gets it right.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
They're really trolling us, aren't they?

I thought darcy said at trade-deadline, that the focus is on building a cup contender. well, winning games doesn't help us in that case. we need a top 5 pick. But it looks like we won't even pick top 10.

That's one of the things I said about this deadline regarding Darcy failing...He didn't trade enough away....

Stafford should have been gone - I don't care if it was for a bag of pucks.....Don't tell me about value, blah blah blah.....

BUT Miller definitely should have been sent packing to complete the full rebuild...There is no reason to keep him on the our roster for the last year of his contract....

Darcy should have gone "All-In" but he didn't...He didn't have the nuts...He only put about 3/4 of his chips in, and now he doesn't have enough to win the game.....I so wish he would be sent packing....

What was Pegula saying about not being afraid to "make mistakes" when it came to the GM, and that he would like to see some mistakes....Well you need to make ballsy moves that sometimes could result in a mistake....Ballsy would have been to get rid of Miller for something, and getting rid of Stafford for nothing.....

The job wasn't completed, and now it appears we are going to pay the price with a middle of the road draft pick.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
That's one of the things I said about this deadline regarding Darcy failing...He didn't trade enough away....

Stafford should have been gone - I don't care if it was for a bag of pucks.....Don't tell me about value, blah blah blah.....

BUT Miller definitely should have been sent packing to complete the full rebuild...There is no reason to keep him on the our roster for the last year of his contract....

Darcy should have gone "All-In" but he didn't...He didn't have the nuts...He only put about 3/4 of his chips in, and now he doesn't have enough to win the game.....I so wish he would be sent packing....

What was Pegula saying about not being afraid to "make mistakes" when it came to the GM, and that he would like to see some mistakes....Well you need to make ballsy moves that sometimes could result in a mistake....Ballsy would have been to get rid of Miller for something, and getting rid of Stafford for nothing.....

Thats not ballsy...that's stupid. And its a good thing emotional fans are not in control of the team.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If you buy into this (don't), 6-1-2 gets them in more likely than not.

Jets OTL
Habs W
Flyers W
Lightning W
Bruins W
Rangers OTL
Penguins L
Jets W
Isles W

Eh

The Islanders and Rangers games are huge. The Rangers play the Leafs twice and no other team above them in the standings. The Islanders play 6 of their last 9 away ( including last 5).

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006

No, that would have been dumb. I honestly think he tried to move Miller at the deadline, and he felt like he could get a better deal at the draft, so he held off.

Also, Stafford's value is at an all time low, and he has 2 years left on his deal. He will probably have another monster contract year (all about the Benjamin's baby). THAT will be the correct time to move him at the deadline. Not for a bag of pucks when his value is at an all time low.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Apparently there is a lot of talk about how bad the crowd is during post-game. Three game wining streak and the boo birds were out again.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Thats not ballsy...that's stupid. And its a good thing emotional fans are not in control of the team.

Well, I wasn't going to put it exactly like that, but you're right. Giving away players like that, which would never be replaced by getting a top 5 pick even over 2 years is ridiculous. I understand they may have to go, because re-signing them isn't feasible, but you maximize your returns. I believe Regier is doing that. He's not known for getting ripped off, for sure. If he wants to go back far enough to the Golisano era, then they're not even comparable situations.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Just looking at the history of the 7/8/9/10th overall picks in the last 10 years is a sobering look at a lot of failed hope and unfulfilled promise.

Interesting. This inspired me to look that up. Here are all of the 7, 8, 9, 10 picks since 2001, starting with 2001, pick 7:

Mike Komisarek
Pascal Leclaire
Tuomo Ruutu
Dan Blackburn
Joffrey Lupul
P.M. Bouchard
Petr Taticek
Eric Nystrom
Ryan Suter
Braydon Coburn
Dion Phaneuf
Andrei Kostitsyn
Rostislav Olesz
Alexandre Picard
Ladislav Smid
Boris Valabik
Jack Skille
Devin Setoguchi
Brian Lee
Luc Bourdon
Kyle Okposo
Peter Mueller
James Sheppard
Michael Frolik
Jakub Voracek
Zach hamill
Logan Couture
Keaton Ellerby
Colin Wilson
Mikkel Boedker
Josh Bailey
Cody Hodgson
Nazem Kadri
Scott Glennie
Jared Cowen
MPS
Jeff Skinner
Alex Burmistrov
Mikael Granlund
Dylan McIlrath
Mark Scheifele
Sean Couturier
Dougie Hamilton
Jonas Brodin
Mathew Dumba
Derrick Pouliot
Jacob Trouba
Slater Koekkoek

Definitely a lot of disappointment, but I notice that the drafting appears to be getting better in more recent years. Or maybe those guys just haven't busted yet? In any event, not too many game breakers on that list.

Hockeymad

Nov 17, 2003
Interesting. This inspired me to look that up. Here are all of the 7, 8, 9, 10 picks since 2001, starting with 2001, pick 7:

Mike Komisarek
Pascal Leclaire
Tuomo Ruutu
Dan Blackburn
Joffrey Lupul
P.M. Bouchard
Petr Taticek
Eric Nystrom
Ryan Suter
Braydon Coburn
Dion Phaneuf
Andrei Kostitsyn
Rostislav Olesz
Alexandre Picard
Ladislav Smid
Boris Valabik
Jack Skille
Devin Setoguchi
Brian Lee
Luc Bourdon
Kyle Okposo
Peter Mueller
James Sheppard
Michael Frolik
Jakub Voracek
Zach hamill
Logan Couture
Keaton Ellerby
Colin Wilson
Mikkel Boedker
Josh Bailey
Cody Hodgson
Nazem Kadri
Scott Glennie
Jared Cowen
MPS
Jeff Skinner
Alex Burmistrov
Mikael Granlund
Dylan McIlrath
Mark Scheifele
Sean Couturier
Dougie Hamilton
Jonas Brodin
Mathew Dumba
Derrick Pouliot
Jacob Trouba
Slater Koekkoek

Definitely a lot of disappointment, but I notice that the drafting appears to be getting better in more recent years. Or maybe those guys just haven't busted yet? In any event, not too many game breakers on that list.
Wow-great work. I agree- a lot of disappointment, but some solid contributors there as well. Sort of the nature of assessing 18 year olds and projecting?

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Regier pulled a couple good players out of last years draft, and there's no reason to think with the leverage he has, that he won't be able to do something similar. Heck, maybe he pulls in a player via draft day trade, or free agency, too. The team has money and options. Those are both good things. I feel like I have to keep repeating there are good things. Maybe like the other poster said, booing a 3 game winning streak is weird. Maybe the fan culture needs a change, too?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Regier pulled a couple good players out of last years draft, and there's no reason to think with the leverage he has, that he won't be able to do something similar. Heck, maybe he pulls in a player via draft day trade, or free agency, too. The team has money and options. Those are both good things. I feel like I have to keep repeating there are good things. Maybe like the other poster said, booing a 3 game winning streak is weird. Maybe the fan culture needs a change, too?

How dare you! :sarcasm: seriously though it can not be easy to be an athlete in Buffalo. We have the most negative fan base in the world. One of the main reasons I left Buffalo after I graduated college was because of the black cloud over the city. So much negativity, not just in sports, but in general. I know this will offend some, and it doesn't represent many individuals, but in general, it's true. As far as that arena is concerned, it's either dead quiet or full of boos. It's unfortunate.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
You never know who is going to unexpectedly drop on draft day...nobody in their right mind though Grigorenko would fall to our pick. Sometimes you get lucky and the guy dropped for no good reason, or because there was a run at another position, sometimes the guy dropped because he wasn't as good as initially thought...but it's too early to start panicking over a draft spot.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think you're onto something here. Wins like this and a nice little streak closing out the season would do a TON for the overall offseason morale, high draft pick be damned.

Don't we say that every season?
Forget what Pegula said about the cup...This team exists to troll.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
How dare you! :sarcasm: seriously though it can not be easy to be an athlete in Buffalo. We have the most negative fan base in the world. One of the main reasons I left Buffalo after I graduated college was because of the black cloud over the city. So much negativity, not just in sports, but in general. I know this will offend some, and it doesn't represent many individuals, but in general, it's true. As far as that arena is concerned, it's either dead quiet or full of boos. It's unfortunate.

Seriously. This x's 100

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
You never know who is going to unexpectedly drop on draft day...nobody in their right mind though Grigorenko would fall to our pick. Sometimes you get lucky and the guy dropped for no good reason, or because there was a run at another position, sometimes the guy dropped because he wasn't as good as initially thought...but it's too early to start panicking over a draft spot.

The higher you pick the higher the chance you have at getting a better player. It's really that simple.

We're basically out of the running for one of the three real elite guys already and it's all for nothing. They're not making the playoffs, only hurting the rebuild.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Don't we say that every season?
Forget what Pegula said about the cup...This team exists to troll.

Only ones trolling are the fans *****ing and moaning about a victory.

I wouldn't mind seeing the word troll ***starred*** out... and tank pictures banned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->