Series Discussion Round One: Dallas Stars (3) vs. Calgary Flames (6) | STARS WIN 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Oh damn ... I wasn't paying attention. One of the series that has a game scheduled on Thursday is Boston/Carolina. They play tomorrow, and Boston could eliminate the Canes.

They probably won't release the Thursday schedule until that game is decided.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
3/4 series in the East could end tomorrow, which I imagine will affect scheduling drastically.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
It’s gonna be funny when Bowness doesn’t listen and they do it anyways. I’d like to think the players who have been in that position before against St Louis would just step up and be like yeah we’re not doing that. Lol

It's not really up to Bowness though, he's said in the past he doesn't tell the players to sit back, he tells them to keep doing what they've been doing, but then the players sit back anyway. It happens to every team in the league, no matter the coach. It happens in plenty of other sports as well.

Sitting back and playing defensive is an emergent phenomenon caused by each individual not wanting to be responsible for giving up the lead and playing a little more cautiously, which then gets multiplied across the whole team to the final, overly cautious result we see.

I can't really blame the players either for the protect-the-lead mindset slipping into their psyche. They are getting a very mixed message from the fans and media. "Don't sit back, keep attacking!" but also, "We'll crucify you if you're the one responsible for making a mistake that loses the game!" The players can't win.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't buy the mixed message. I'm genuinely asking, not being snarky, can you name a game where the team kept the pedal down and a mistake let the other team score when they were ahead? I really can't. I can think of a bunch of games where laying back, they got stuck in the defensive zone, and that inevitable goal happened.

Dallas isn't laying back because being aggressive, which most good teams are in a situation like this, cost them a bunch a games.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I don't buy the mixed message. I'm genuinely asking, not being snarky, can you name a game where the team kept the pedal down and a mistake let the other team score when they were ahead? I really can't. I can think of a bunch of games where laying back, they got stuck in the defensive zone, and that inevitable goal happened.

Dallas isn't laying back because being aggressive, which most good teams are in a situation like this, cost them a bunch a games.
Over the course of a whole game and the Stars kept their foot down don't belong together.
But it does happen where they'll control the vast majority of play and still lose . Though we're talking maybe 5 games in the last 2 years where they've been the better team for the whole gane and not just a period or two

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
The other thing to consider is the other guys are just as good, just as motivated, just as desperate. (Thanks, Dad!)

Most of the NHL games I have been to, and that is a lot as an STH since 1994, is that they go in waves. No team can really dominate a decent NHL opponent for all 60 minutes. Game 5, with the Stars dominating say half the game, a quarter being dominated by CAL, but they survive, and a quarter about even play is about as good as it gets, and asking for a lot more is pretty unrealistic.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary

f***kk

Maybe we won't advance and can avoid that beatdown

Was always that way once Vegas took first, I mean unless Chicago somehow beat Vegas then we would have avoided the Avs

If we wanna go all the way we're going to have to beat Colorado and most likey Vegas/Blues ( maybe Nucks ) and then play a team like Tampa, Boston etc

Aint no easy path this year

But, lets win round 1 before worring about round 2

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean this isn't exactly a suprise but was to be expected. I'll say this the Stars have gotten much better so i don't think it'll be that bad as it was in the round robin even though Avs are the favorites

Reactions: sportswastaken

kms10g

Feb 17, 2015
Orlando, FL
Avs are playing well. Stars beat them 4 times in the regular season, so it’s not like it is beating 84-85 Oilers.

We really need Bishop back though. Johns too, if possible.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Hopefully the Stars players aren't "counting their chickens before they hatch" as much as the fans in this thread are. Lol—just messing around.

Hopefully, the Stars learned the hard lesson from last year, losing to the Blues series after being up 3-2. This is the type of game that they can come out and show a "killer instinct," dominate the Flames, and get ready to face a much greater challenge in the Avs in round 2.

#GoStars

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't know that is entirely fair to say. I think the vast majority of people have pointed out that they need to get it done with Calgary.

The Colordao conversation is natural because it just became official that Dallas would only play Colorado if they advance.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I don't know that is entirely fair to say. I think the vast majority of people have pointed out that they need to get it done with Calgary.

The Colordao conversation is natural because it just became official that Dallas would only play Colorado if they advance.
Yeah, I know. I really wasn't trying to poke fun of anyone. No offense intended.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Just for fun, what's the most homer'ish prediction you can make for tonight?

Mine is that Benn will enter into playoff "Beast/Sochi Mode" starting tonight with a hat-trick, and the Stars handily win 6-2.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I forgot to add Khudobin ends it with an empty netter but then allows a late goal to make his the series winner

5-4 Stars

Reactions: JesusNPucks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad