Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 205: Marcus Westfält, C, Brynas (SEL)

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
"Han har en ovanlig talang som är svår att träna upp"

thumb_2560.jpg

Today it became clear that Brynäs IF signed a contract with the junior Marcus Westfält. The contract is a so-called rookie contract, which means that Westfält has played over 100 minutes in SHL.

"Feels great, it's a great opportunity for me. I will continue to work hard to get a lot of playing time and develop as a hockey player, says Marcus Westfält.

The contract extends over 4 seasons, from 2017/2018 to 2020/2021

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Really good player.

I think talent wise he is top 100 pick level. If his skating was better I imagine he would have gone in the 3rd round. Really smart, solid skillset, good defensively, physical, can PK, works super hard, decent shot and a good passer.

Only players same age with higher PPG than his 1.07 in J20 this year.

Berggren: 33rd overall
Karlberg: 80th overall
Bokk: 25th overall
Eriksson: 44th overall

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Really good player.

I think talent wise he is top 100 pick level. If his skating was better I imagine he would have gone in the 3rd round. Really smart, solid skillset, good defensively, physical, can PK, works super hard, decent shot and a good passer.

Only players same age with higher PPG than his 1.07 in J20 this year.

Berggren: 33rd overall
Karlberg: 80th overall
Bokk: 25th overall
Eriksson: 44th overall

Do you think his skating will improve?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I kept trying to post this yesterday.....

Hockey Prospect ranked him 123rd:

Westfalt can play at centre and on the wing; he can be useful in different ways for a team due to his versatility and smarts. He can play on both special team units. On the PK, he’s useful because of his smarts and effectiveness when killing time on the clock. He can hold onto the puck for a long time, and with his long stick, he’s good at blocking passing lanes. On the power play, he’s been used often by Sweden in international competition as the guy in front of the net. He’s big and strong; he’s tough to move from the front of the net and doesn’t have bad hands to score some goals here and there. He’s also able to take some punishment there, without feeling the need to reply. This year, he split the season between the SHL and the J20. In junior, he averaged over a point per game, and in the men’s league, he didn’t get much ice time (often the case with rookies in the SHL) finishing with 4 points in 31 games. Westfalt does a solid job down low, he’s a good puck-retriever and his puck-protection is really good. He knows how to use his size to his advantage down low and in front of the net. However, skating is just average for him; he’ll need to improve this over the next 2-3 seasons. Improving his quickness and acceleration will make him a better player offensively, as he will be able to take better advantage of the scoring chances he gets.

Overall, Westfalt has some good attributes that could make him a valuable player down the road. If he can improve his skating and continue to work on his overall game, he could become a bottom 6 player at some point. He’s unselfish and smart, and can play down the middle or on the wing. His offensive ceiling is not high, but he could be a valuable player for an NHL team.

“He’s a big kid, played smart hockey and a pretty good skater. He’s responsible defensively …played a lot of PK minutes and his coach trusted him with key icetime. On the ice in the last minute with a one goal lead. Not a bad sign for a young kid. Didn’t show me much in the way of skill when I saw him.” -

HP Scout, Mark Edwards

For a 7th rounder -- real hard to gripe. Probably a better pick than their 6th rounder. I watched him at the u18s in mostly a middle 6 role, but he wasn't particularly memorable. Just kind of played it safe and grinded. All the Swedish forwards were shades of mediocre after Berggren.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I posted about Westfalt yesterday after the pick, but it seems to have been one of the posts to disappear into the HF ether...

Anyway, I said he should be a dream 7th round pick for those who are big into advanced stats. CanucksArmy had him ranked 64th.

In our FlyersBoard mock draft, he was on my shortlist from rounds 5-7 -- very good size, good production at every level -- but I couldn't quite get past the fact that he looks like he's skating in mud in the videos I found. The guy is slow. Hence, each turn I ended up going with another option. But I definitely think he's a very worthwhile gamble for the 7th round. He would not have fallen this far if he could skate; not at his size. If a skating coach can get Westfalt up to speed, so to speak, that skating coach could make a career out of the endorsement.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Congrats on his Corsi, but I’m guessing he’s getting a ton of o-zone starts in limited usage.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Congrats on his Corsi, but I’m guessing he’s getting a ton of o-zone starts in limited usage.

Not getting so many OZS from watching (dont have the stats) as they usually use the 4th line in a pretty defensive role.

But he has not been playing very much, should play more tbh. He is damn good defensively already and a more natural centre than Asklof... who spent a lot of the start of the year at 4C over him.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad