Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 188: Ivan Fedotov, G, Reaktor Nizhnekamsk (MHL --> KHL)| 3/29/24, CSKA contract terminated, may join Flyers soon

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Probably not for a couple more seasons, Flyers have his rights indefinitely, and why put him in the AHL and block other goalies when you can let him play in a better league and retain his rights.

Although if he keeps this up leapfrogging him over others isn't a bad idea.

The question then becomes if he'd want to leave the KHL for the AHL though.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Although if he keeps this up leapfrogging him over others isn't a bad idea.

The question then becomes if he'd want to leave the KHL for the AHL though.

Why would he? Makes more sense to let him develop, then bring him over to compete for the backup job, with the AHL as the fall back.

Meanwhile you get to give AHL PT to Ustimenko and Sandstrom, with Ross going to the ECHL in two years, and Tomek and Ersson possibly coming over.

And don't forget the college FA that Fletcher may sign in a couple months.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Round 7, Pick 188: Ivan Fedotov, G, Reaktor Nizhnekamsk (MHL --> KHL)

thats why i would hold onto our draft picks instead of signing Vets of replacement level....

he could be a solid backup gk for his career....

and we lost a 4th and a 5th round pick.....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Round 7, Pick 188: Ivan Fedotov, G, Reaktor Nizhnekamsk (MHL --> KHL)

thats why i would hold onto our draft picks instead of signing Vets of replacement level....

he could be a solid backup gk for his career....

and we lost a 4th and a 5th round pick.....

At some point you have to use all those assets.
For one thing, that 50 contract limit means you can't sign every draft pick.
While the Flyers have drafted well, the odds are still very long against a 4th and 5th rd pick ever sniffing the NHL, and the Flyers are a legitimate playoff contender THIS year, not down the road.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's alright, 2022-23 means two more KHL years under his belt while we audition our other goalie prospects.
We don't have playing time for all our guys the next two years in the AHL, so this saves a contract slot, let's him marinate, and let's our other goalies get more PT.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I still don't understand how things work with KHL prospects. Regardless of his skill, how likely is it he comes here? I still have a (potentially unfounded) concern that it is somehow more difficult to convince or for the league to allow them to leave?

He wont be able to come over under 2022-23 basically.

But once contract is up he 100% can. I guess if Flyers want him to then he will... he will have a 1 yr ELC by that point anyway, so it is probably a risk worth taking. And if Flyers want him then he will have had a few good KHL years and be potentially pencilled in at back-up right away.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is like the Islander goalie Sorokin who spent five years in the KHL and is coming over for the next season.
At 25, he should move right into the starting job.

Febotov will turn 26 in November, 2022, with 3 KHL seasons under his belt, so Flyers could move him right into the backup job if no one else takes it, or peddle him around the league.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What's next for Cam York and Egor Zamula? Brent Flahr on 8 Flyers 'D' prospects

The other goalie over there, (Ivan) Fedotov, is off to a real good start, too, so we’ll have to go over and see him live. He’s looking to come over here in the next year or so as well. Unfortunately, there’s only so many teams you can play for. But he’s starting in the KHL and that’s a good league, so there’s no rush. I think he’s establishing himself there. And that league for goaltenders is as good as any for development.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany

Better than Lyon. Better than Moose. All we need. Just give 1 young goalie a chance who isnt a world beater like Hart. We just need a solid Backup. And one of Ersson, Fedotov, Sandstrom should be good enough to be that. But we will wait another 3 years. I swear Fletcher will sign another veteran after moose breaks down.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Better than Lyon. Better than Moose. All we need. Just give 1 young goalie a chance who isnt a world beater like Hart. We just need a solid Backup. And one of Ersson, Fedotov, Sandstrom should be good enough to be that. But we will wait another 3 years. I swear Fletcher will sign another veteran after moose breaks down.

This is why I wanted a prospect in LHV last season instead of having both in Reading.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem with a lot of Flyer prospects is simply timing, Hextall didn't start drafting until 2014.

Once you get past the sure shot top 20 guys, many players need 5-6 years of development, and don't arrive until they're 23-24, i.e., we're just seeing the first wave of Hextall's drafts, the next few years they'll be arriving like the Golden Horde across Eurasia.

Goalies are even worse, many don't become starters until they're 24-26 years old.
Right now we have a bunch of young goalies who are 1-3 years away, and Fletcher just has to patch until one arrives and takes the backup job.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Problem with a lot of Flyer prospects is simply timing, Hextall didn't start drafting until 2014.

Once you get past the sure shot top 20 guys, many players need 5-6 years of development, and don't arrive until they're 23-24, i.e., we're just seeing the first wave of Hextall's drafts, the next few years they'll be arriving like the Golden Horde across Eurasia.

Goalies are even worse, many don't become starters until they're 24-26 years old.
Right now we have a bunch of young goalies who are 1-3 years away, and Fletcher just has to patch until one arrives and takes the backup job.
A Mongol reference is always a winner in my book. Well done Dead!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Given that goalies are pretty much the most unpredictable position...

the work the Flyers did in that department is absurd.

Sandstrom
Tomek
Fedotov
Hart
Ustimenko
Ersson

in FOUR drafts.

All are pro level goalies... all could do a good job in AHL right now (ofc NHL in Harts case haha)...

Ustimenko is the most "unproven" vs men... but a great prospect.

Tomek is a Liiga starter at age 23 after a season last year when was maybe best goalie in Slovakia and played NT. And he looks like he is out of their plans and ~ 6th-7th in the young goalie depth. He would be half the leagues top goalie prospect.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Tomek’s development is so weird lol.

He had a pretty traumatic few years tbh...

A serious injury right at the start of his NCAA career. As a result did not play a SINGLE game between April 2015 and December 2016.

His fathers death, unexpectedly, while he was getting ready to go to the USHL.

Since the second he cam back to Europe he has been lights out at higher levels than NCAA and USHL. When international hokey returns he seems a shoe in to be part of the Slovakian set-up.

Hudacek, Rybar, Tomek, Konrad and Godla are the best five Slovakian goalies in Europe right now... and Tomek is probably in the 2nd best "form" since the start of 2020 after Hudacek.

Will be interesting to see how he does over a whole Liiga season. Has been really good through four games.

If there was an Olympics tomorrow with all players available Tomek would have a shot at making it as 3rd goalie after Halak and Hudacek. Albeit part of that is Slovakian hockey's decline...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->