Prospect Info: Round 7, 199th overall: Matteo Mann, RHD, Chicoutimi (QMJHL)

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
What kind of draft pick was this? I know it seems short sighted, but this guy has shit numbers in juniors...what was the appeal to draft him?
It's right there in his name.
s2iNqoRu_400x400.jpg

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
They took Carter Sotheran in the same draft in the later rounds. They both probably don’t have great odds from draft pick standpoint & both probably will have to take on defensive situations if they get the NHL. But I know what profile of the two I’d be more willing to bet on.

Yeah Sotheran plays on a contender but he’s still been productive in secondary & depth roles. This year he’d probably be the lead dog or at least the #2 in most other teams in the WHL. We even have micro data on him that paints a picture of a higher level offensive defensemen in the WHL.

If Sotheran is on your top pairing, the team sucks

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
You’re not helping your case.
I don't know what you think my case is...

He is a 7th round pick, thus an extremely long shot to ever see the NHL.

I simply said that judging a DFD by stats is silly. He'll play for Reading for now (on his ATO) and we'll see if he plays pro or junior next year (he's a late birthday so if he signs an ELC he burns a year and Philly isn't obligated to sign him to one until the year after, so he might get an AHL two-way deal).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't know what you think my case is...

He is a 7th round pick, thus an extremely long shot to ever see the NHL.

I simply said that judging a DFD by stats is silly. He'll play for Reading for now (on his ATO) and we'll see if he plays pro or junior next year (he's a late birthday so if he signs an ELC he burns a year and Philly isn't obligated to sign him to one until the year after, so he might get an AHL two-way deal).

Matteo’s mom isn’t even watching a Friday night ECHL game.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
What kind of draft pick was this? I know it seems short sighted, but this guy has shit numbers in juniors...what was the appeal to draft him?
NepoPityPick? His dad was an Asst GM with Sens. Favour to a fellow travelling scout? How did he end up in THN Top 100 draft prospects?

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Just watched a bunch of videos on this big dude. He seems to be a smart player and from what I've watched usually tries to do the right thing, and the smart thing, but his skating is just nowhere near good enough for him to accomplish some of the things that he's doing at a high level right now. He can throw a good hit but 99% of the people that he hit were stationary with their head down while he was in motion.

• Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The first YouTube "Highlights" video was just of him doing basic hockey things, like a wrist shot from the point (not a goal), blocking a shot, bumping into an opponent, or wandering around the defensive zone. The pre-video commercial was more entertaining.

dgaspari

Feb 13, 2008
The first YouTube "Highlights" video was just of him doing basic hockey things, like a wrist shot from the point (not a goal), blocking a shot, bumping into an opponent, or wandering around the defensive zone. The pre-video commercial was more entertaining.
an interesting article on the Hockey Writers

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
an interesting article on the Hockey Writers
Thanks for sharing this article, dgaspari. It just reads as though the writer is trying all he can to cast the subject of his article in a positive light. I fully admit that the highlight video I referenced is all I have ever seen of Mann's game. However, in a series of clips with the objective of showing Mann's best attributes, I couldn't see any of the high IQ, long skating stride, or outstanding defensive plays. He skated like he was top-heavy and unbalanced and he did more gliding than skating. I liked early on that he activated into the slot but nothing came of the play so I haven't a clue why it would be included in such a package.

The Flyers have a type and Mann gives every indication that he fits it to a T, which has been a major problem with this franchise for decades in terms of both talent evaluation and development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad