Prospect Info: Round 6 - Pick #182 - C Riley Duran - Youngstown Phantoms / USHL - 20/21

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
What I found was that the NHL and CHL had extended their agreement through this season- the one already in place which says players have to be 20 years old or have played four season of junior hockey before they can go pro. From a Bruins standpoint, I suppose it makes sense if they want the option to take a kid out of junior at D+ whatever if they feel he is not developing the way they want. Is it a developmental control thing?
Partly ,I'll look it up

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
If the link works it should ask you if you want to download the link,it's 16 pages of the 2013 NHL/CHL agreement

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yikes. I had no idea the NHL subsidized those leagues so heavily.Well, following the wise dictum of @Gee Wally that "it's always about the money" I could understand a penny-pinching organization or owner not caring for the payouts that have to be made, but it seems from the agreement that this an NHL payment, not made directly by the NHL clubs, so I don't suppose that would bother the Bruins much (unless the NHL is in turn passing those individual costs to the team that incurred them).

@Saxon Eric I'd be interested in hearing your take on this, as after reading through it, the money angle is the only thing I can think of that would be of particular bother to the Bruins and only if they are actually on the hook for it And to be honest, developmental control is no greater if a kid is in an NCAA program, so other than getting them to come out at 19 after a freshman year, I don't see the real difference.

Last edited:

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Yikes. I had no idea the NHL subsidized those leagues so heavily.Well, following the wise dictum of @Gee Wally that "it's always about the money" I could understand a penny-pinching organization or owner not caring for the payouts that have to be made, but it seems from the agreement that this an NHL payment, not made directly by the NHL clubs, so I don't suppose that would bother the Bruins much (unless the NHL is in turn passing those individual costs to the team that incurred them).

@Saxon Eric I'd be interested in hearing your take on this, as after reading through it, the money angle is the only thing I can think of that would be of particular bother to the Bruins and only if they are actually on the hook for it And to be honest, developmental control is greater if a kid is in an NCAA program, so other than getting them to come out at 19 after a freshman year, I don't see the real difference.

I think the CHL is on the Welfare

that's a lot of money to spend on a poor return on investment especially with the later round kids but that's me
Also NCAA and Europeans players gives Boston more flexibility to develop and sign on their timetable

I do think once Boston is drafted low again the CHL will be back on the menu

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think the CHL is on the Welfare

that's a lot of money to spend on a poor return on investment especially with the later round kids but that's me
Also NCAA and Europeans players gives Boston more flexibility to develop and sign on their timetable

I do think once Boston is drafted low again the CHL will be back on the menu

Nice thanks, and thanks for posting that. It was enlightening to say the least. It does make sense that they might prefer the Euro or College route for the flexibility and I can see why they might not like paying a big chunk to the CHL for a kid in a late round that probably won't develop into anything in the timeframe they have to sign him.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not much posted about his college career at Providence (three seasons) but Bruins signed him to an ELC. Something to see here?

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not much posted about his college career at Providence (three seasons) but Bruins signed him to an ELC. Something to see here?

He plays a very Bruins game. He is a real grinder. Plays a heavy game. His offense didn't take a step forward after a very good Freshman year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad