Prospect Info: Round 6 - Pick #182 - C Riley Duran - Youngstown Phantoms / USHL - 20/21

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I was thinking the same. I don’t like anything about how this front office drafts. Just awful

They very recently picked a euro with their first pick 2 straight seasons and up until this year selected multiple Europeans in 3 straight drafts.

I think gator mike is on the nose for why they tend to lean towards college/European players

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
They very recently picked a euro with their first pick 2 straight seasons and up until this year selected multiple Europeans in 3 straight drafts.

I think gator mike is on the nose for why they tend to lean towards college/European players

2015 though- Carlo, DeBrusk, Senyshyn, Zboril all CHL guys.

Reactions: Grimey and CDJ

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

My son who's in his mid 30's played against him in a summer league the last two years. My son had as his linemate in HS a friend who played 2 years in the AHL and got a couple of NHL exhibition games in he was really impressed with Duran and thinks he has all the tools to make the NHL. Light years ahead of his friend
at the same stage.

Reactions: CDJ

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Just to play devils advocate, isn’t it the US/college players that have that Wheeler/Schultz/Vesey/etc. loophole

I could be totally wrong as I don’t remember the details, but I thought that was a college thing

So on one hand sure you have longer to sign them, but also they could just leave

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Other than Matt Benning, that loophole hasn't really burned them, though.

Hadn’t his dad left the org by then too? With the prospect depth we had at D I don’t blame him when factoring in those two things. So maybe if we fire Langenbrunner before the kids in the fold he’ll go elsewhere. But it’s a 5th round pick and I doubt something like this will happen anyway

we’ve certainly benefitted from that loophole more than we’ve been hurt by it though.

Reactions: Gator Mike

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Other than Matt Benning, that loophole hasn't really burned them, though.

And neither has the need to sign CHL players sooner

What has burned the Bruins is terrible reach picks when there are clearly better options
available

CDJ is right in that it’s not like we had any great picks and it’s certainly a bit of a crapshoot after the first round. Still doesn’t mean I want out GM, who has a terrible track record drafting, continue to reach for picks due to his own weird American fetish

Reactions: duffy and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
And don’t get me wrong, I would like to see them invest more into the CHL too. They are the top junior leagues for a reason. There is something they like about the college ranks though- maybe they like these guys being exposed to playing against 22 + 23 year olds early. Maybe they like the structure. They definitely like the longer timeline.

I like this pick though

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Who scouts the CHL for the Bruins? Do they have anyone of experience? Maybe the answer is there.

Cost savings could be a reason too.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Matt Benning is a UFA after not being qualified.

Don't think there's any fit for him, but just making note.

he’s talking about how we drafted Benning and then Benning took the free agency route after attending Northeastern as opposed to signing with us, the team that drafted him

Didn’t see he’s on the market now though, that’s interesting. Seems like a good bottom pairing guy

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
he’s talking about how we drafted Benning and then Benning took the free agency route after attending Northeastern as opposed to signing with us, the team that drafted him
Yes I know. Sorry for giving Benning news.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Steady should work in Edmonton, certainly beats the slop they’re used to from the back end otherwise lol

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I recommend to everyone to look up the last CHL/ NHL agreement, to me it sheds some light on why Boston does what it does but I'll let you form your own opinions on it

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I recommend to everyone to look up the last CHL/ NHL agreement, to me it sheds some light on why Boston does what it does but I'll let you form your own opinions on it
Do you mean the most recent one, Eric? I know the old one was scheduled to end in June, but while I see it was extended around/at the time of the CBA signing, I'll be damned if I can find any reference to changes made, even in website comment sections. Can't find the pdf either, for some reason.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Dom also mentioned on Bruins Diehards podcast that the weight towards college vs. Jr vs. Europe can be cyclical where a team does not want too many contract situations happening at the same time.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Dom also mentioned on Bruins Diehards podcast that the weight towards college vs. Jr vs. Europe can be cyclical where a team does not want too many contract situations happening at the same time.
Yes,that's another part to it

Reactions: Dr Hook

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Do you mean the most recent one, Eric? I know the old one was scheduled to end in June, but while I see it was extended around/at the time of the CBA signing, I'll be damned if I can find any reference to changes made, even in website comment sections. Can't find the pdf either, for some reason.
Google usually had it on page 2 or 3 of a search,If you can't find it I'll try to post it here by tonight, very interesting read

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Duran drafted by hometown Bruins

Woburn, Mass., native Riley Duran was plucked by the Boston Bruins in the sixth round with the 182nd overall pick. A Providence commit, Duran played the past two seasons at Lawrence Academy after a year each at Woburn High School and Malden Catholic.

Duran has played some right wing and some center. He’s a big north-south power forward who is at his best when he’s forechecking hard, keeping it simple and being physical. He has a hard shot and can drive the net. In 27 games for Lawrence last winter, he had 22 goals and 22 assists for 44 points.
Duran’s best hockey is ahead of him. He’ll head to the USHL for the 2020-21 season with the Youngstown Phantoms before matriculating to Providence in 2021-22. He comes from an athletic family that includes his sister, Kayla Duran, who plays soccer at Boston College. His dad, Jim Duran, played collegiately at Plattsburgh State and is now the athletic director and hockey coach at Woburn.

With Duran playing many of his games in close proximity to the Bruins’ office, he was watched many times by the organization. Director of amateur scouting Ryan Nadeau, assistant general manager Evan Gold, director of analytics Jeremy Rogalski, hockey operations assistant Colin Mayberry and amateur scout Doug Leaverton are members of the Bruins organization who I saw watching Lawrence or Cape Cod Whalers last season.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

What I found was that the NHL and CHL had extended their agreement through this season- the one already in place which says players have to be 20 years old or have played four season of junior hockey before they can go pro. From a Bruins standpoint, I suppose it makes sense if they want the option to take a kid out of junior at D+ whatever if they feel he is not developing the way they want. Is it a developmental control thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad