Prospect Info: Round 6 - Pick #182 - C Riley Duran - Youngstown Phantoms / USHL - 20/21

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
He can't make Providence College despite being a big lad and PC having a down season?

Providence's centers were pretty much crap last season, though I don't know what commits they've got showing up this year.
You clearly know nothing about how college hockey/commitment process works

Reactions: Dux917

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Okay. He actually checks boxes.

center
Good size
Local kid
Going to a local college
Reads as a physical team first center/wing with a great shot.

holy f***. I’m excited. Like it took round 6 but f*** yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimey

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
You clearly know nothing about how college hockey/commitment process works
No, I thought this might be a weird time where the unusual could occur, that's all.

Actually, I was typing up my rationale and it suddenly dawned what month we're in. You're right, I am dumb.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Have you been living under a rock in the last 7 months? The world shut down in February and the US in March. The bulk of scouting happens between January - April and then during international tournaments which were all canceled

Also was there a combine? I imagine not

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
He can't make Providence College despite being a big lad and PC having a down season?

Providence's centers were pretty much crap last season, though I don't know what commits they've got showing up this year.

?? He was always going the USHL route after prep school. If you know anything about college hockey, very few if any go directly from prep to NCAA

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
And it’s just stupid

Sweeney has had some horrible drafts but he’s acting like he’s Ken Holland

I don’t know about you but I would rather he pull from all leagues rather than just what he knows

Honestly this is kind of embarrassing for the franchise. Our GM just completely looking off the hockey powerhouse country because... why?

Best of luck to these kids. It’s not their fault Sweeney and company are completely incapable of drafting

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Again, they picked Euros with their top pick in back to back years recently and before this draft have selected multiple Europeans each year for a few years

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Riley Duran
Scouting Report
An explosive winger with good size and a wicked shot, Duran was one of the NEPSAC’s top forwards while starring for Lawrence Academy and is a key building block for the Youngstown Phantoms and Providence College. He was on the Spartans’ top line alongside fellow 2020 draft hopeful David Sacco, and at times the duo alternated between center and wing during various parts of the season.
Duran took a significant leap forward this year by making himself a more well-rounded forward and living up to the label as a top high school recruit. Some view him as a power forward, but it is probably more for an intimidation factor via top-end speed and a powerful stride as opposed to him being a masher or crease crasher. In other words, Duran bombing up ice at top speed forces defenders to back off, thus allowing him to dictate zone time on his own terms. Of course, this is more prevalent in prep circles than what Duran will see in the USHL or Hockey East, but the points stands – he travels with the puck at a high rate of speed and is agile enough to create significant time and space.
The most impressive weapon in Duran’s arsenal is his wrist shot. Much like fellow Bay Stater Sam Colangelo, Duran can whip wristers with both accuracy and authority from anywhere inside the offensive zone. He has a very quick release and also knows how to use his screens. Duran can also make plays on the backhand and maintain both control and balance as he powers along a direct route to the goal. He has soft hands to handle passes cleanly while in flight, and his clean skate-to-stick transition seems natural.
Far from a one-trick pony, Duran was used in all situations and killed penalties with a degree of success, specifically in applying pressure on the points and keeping his stick positioned properly. He’s willing to play the body and finish his checks but also stand up for teammates after the whistle. There are moments, however, when Duran is on the periphery awaiting pucks to come his way rather than consistently display an exemplary battle level in the trenches, but this could be a directive from the bench rather than an individual disregard for a system. He also seemed to have shorter shifts than your average star forwards at the prep level, thus leading to some low-energy moments during extended shifts past the 45 or 50-second mark.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Honestly this is kind of embarrassing for the franchise. Our GM just completely looking off the hockey powerhouse country because... why?
Spitballing here, but a couple of possible explanations:

1. The Bruins have analytics that suggest CHL players are overdrafted, while players from Europe and the US are underdrafted.

2. The CBA requires teams to sign CHL players after two seasons or lose them for nothing. Drafting players from Europe/NCAA allows the Bruins more time for them to evaluate/develop and not be rushed into a professional environment.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad