Round 5: Top Manager Poll

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
OK, then can we say Mbappe is better than Messi or Ronaldo because he had a better first year?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
OK, then can we say Mbappe is better than Messi or Ronaldo because he had a better first year?

Sarri, Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Sampaoli & Jardim aren't better than Mourinho, Klopp & Wenger because of how they are doing this season, or because of how their first season compares to those older coaches first seasons. They are better because they have done a better job of coaching the talent at their disposal in the modern game, and have done so for a minute now.

Fair enough. Don't get Klopp over Mourinho though.

I much prefer Klopp as his teams are much more fun to watch, but in terms of being the better manager I just can't rate him above the Mourinho.

Mourinho's greatest Triumphs are even older than Klopp's. They're not quite as far off as Wenger's, but neither of these coaches has done all that much winning lately...while these new coaches have broken onto the scene with their much more progressive football ideas & tactical understanding.

I love Mourinho as a personality and hope he stays around the game long after he stops coaching, but his style of football is getting left behind.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's silly this fashion of hipsters coaches.
I'd never rank Jardim over Mourinho who won a major title 3 years ago or over Klopp.
Same with the others you named.

There are a few posters here that love potential more than results in terms of coaching.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Heck, I'd still rank Blanc over Jardim. And I'll stress once again how amazing Jardim has Monaco play football.
In fact, I think Blanc should be voted soon. Over guys like Poch IMO.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's silly this fashion of hipsters coaches.
I'd never rank Jardim over Mourinho who won a major title 3 years ago or over Klopp.
Same with the others you named.

There are a few posters here that love potential more than results in terms of coaching.

Jardim won a title last season to, as did Tuchel, and both won more impressive titles than Mourinho did last season. An EPL title three seasons ago doesn't do too much to change our current reality, especially given how weak the league was (that was the year before Leicester f***'n city claimed the crown) and what Mourinho has "achieved" since then.

There are a few posters here that love history more than results in terms of coaching. ;)

Heck, I'd still rank Blanc over Jardim. And I'll stress once again how amazing Jardim has Monaco play football.
In fact, I think Blanc should be voted soon. Over guys like Poch IMO.

Good call with Blanc. I've totally been spazzing about him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Let's not compare winning the DFB Pokal in a weak final to winning the EPL or winning L1 by blowing out scoring records and reaching a CL semi final doing so.
Please.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Let's not compare winning the DFB Pokal in a weak final to winning the EPL or winning L1 by blowing out scoring records and reaching a CL semi final doing so.
Please.

Tuchel had to go through Bayern & Union Berlin to get to that weak final. That's a taller task than what United faced en route to their EL crown :dunno:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, I think if you look at resume, Jose has a shot, but he's also been a bit of a failure at Chelsea on his return and his style hasn't exactly suited his talent.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Tuchel had to go through Bayern & Union Berlin to get to that weak final. That's a taller task than what United faced en route to their EL crown :dunno:
You're comparing that with an EPL title and someone who blasted offensive football, scored more than 100 goals with a team of youngsters, won the L1 title in front of PSG and reached the CL semi by knocking doww Pep's City, Poch's Tottenham and Tuchel's BVB.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You're comparing that with an EPL title and someone who blasted offensive football, scored more than 100 goals with a team of youngsters, won the L1 title in front of PSG and reached the CL semi by knocking doww Pep's City, Poch's Tottenham and Tuchel's BVB.

I'm comparing that to Mou's Europa Leauge win with United.

...not the flukey EPL title that he won with Chelsea before the wheels fell off again ;)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Tuchel's last 3 years? 1 DFB Pokal.
Jardim's last 3 years? 1 CL 1/4 final, 1 CL 1/2 final, 1 L1 title.
Mou's last 3 years? 1 EPL, 1 Cup, 1 EL.

Seriously. And nobody hates Mourinho more than me.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Tuchel's first season they put up a recording setting pace for any club but the monster bayern has become since their treble winning season. If the league hadn't been decided with two games to go, Tuchel's Dortmund would've put up more points in that first season than either of Kloppo's saladbowl winners did. Which is an important piece of context to consider. Klopp's teams never played as well as in the league as Tuchel's team did...before Watzke sold the core and forced Tuchel to start building from scratch again. Yet Klopp is getting bolster by his BVB tenure here while Tuchel isn't getting the credit he deserves for his BVB tenure.

Similarly winning the EPL the past few years hasn't been anywhere near as big a challenge as trying to just keep pace with Bayern. Tittles are nice, but they need to be put in the proper context. Namely that leagues and competitors wax & wane in strength. The BuLi is much harder to win now than it was when Klopp first lead BVB out of the darkness...but the EPL has become easier.

Granted I think the EPL is nearing a turning point where they've brought in enough quality coaches for all of that money to actually result in some incredible teams...even if Pep still doesn't have a back line; Klopp still needs a CB & a creative midfielder; Poch needs some more high quality depth in their attacking & creative ranks; Conte needs to realize that he can't just pretend the CL doesn't exist and make it through another year with no depth. So moving forward this will change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->