Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick 139, Linus Hogberg , D, Vaxjo Lakers, Sweden

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This is why the Flyers emphasize work ethic and love of the game, at 19-21 years old there are a lot of distractions, especially in the off season (I can spend the day in the gym and skating laps and sprints, with a hot girl, with friends drinking beer, which do I choose?).

He’s a kid that’s played over there (in Sweden) and played OK and done those things, but he never really invested the time in the offseason — to get stronger to put on weight to do the things that would give him a chance to play over here. I think, finally, he did. He’s a kid that has always been blessed with good skating ability, he can defend, he can move pucks. But he was one of those guys you always (thought) there’s another level to him.

My suspicion is that this is true for a lot of prospects, it' s not that they're "lazy," it's just that they're not "ice rats". As JJ Watt pointed out, when he's 35 he'll have lots of time to drink beers with his buddies, but right now it's all business in a career with a limited timeline. Some kids get this early, some later, some never. And that may partially explain why some prospects mature faster than others.
That’s something I really like about Foerster — he seems like a true rink rat. He’s smart, he watches hockey, he loves hockey.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Isn’t the true reason he got a contract is because Kalynuk opted not to sign?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Isn’t the true reason he got a contract is because Kalynuk opted not to sign?

From what I know, no.

It was in the works for a month or so before he signed.

My guess is that Hogberg and his agent were negotiating over the value of bonuses etc and potentially had other options than Flyers... though dont quote me on that specifically. That is speculation. They were hammering out final details for a while though.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
From what I know, no.

It was in the works for a month or so before he signed.

My guess is that Hogberg and his agent were negotiating over the value of bonuses etc and potentially had other options than Flyers... though dont quote me on that specifically. That is speculation. They were hammering out final details for a while though.
Thanks for the reply. I just remember his contract being announced right after Kalynuk made his decision. Kid signed for the Flyers. He is ok in my book !

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I just remember his contract being announced right after Kalynuk made his decision. Kid signed for the Flyers. He is ok in my book !
Actually I thought he signed before kalynuk officially opted out. But I assume the flyers knew he wasn’t coming to philly for a while.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think the Flyers do have to take total number of contracts into consideration (isn't the limit still 50), and on the margin, they might have been waiting with Wylie and Hogberg to see if contract slots would be needed.

While you want to sign everyone, Hogberg as a LHD would be a lower priority than some other positions, we're sort of loaded there, and that's before drafting Andrae.

Which is also why I didn't shed too many tears over Kalynuk, with Millman's breakout PD season, his loss isn't exactly crippling.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One advantage of being "demoted" this year is he can play a bigger offensive role at a lower level and take more risks and work on his offensive game, something that might be frowned upon for a player like him in the SHL.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
One advantage of being "demoted" this year is he can play a bigger offensive role at a lower level and take more risks and work on his offensive game, something that might be frowned upon for a player like him in the SHL.

He is playing PP regularly for first time in pro career.

Got an assist in the 2nd there.

Will be interesting to see if AHL is put back again whether he goes to an SHL club. Only reason he is in Allsvenskan from what I know is that no short-term loans allowed in SHL. Had offers from SHL in top 4 role.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It's nice to see him get one last taste of success before he has to join the Phantoms and let Gordon grind the good out of him.

Might be a match made in heaven. Hogberg can continue to perfect the 130' pass all season while the forwards put their heads down and skate for the end zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad