Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick #132: Terrance Amorosa, Defense, Holderness (USHS-NH)

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Someone to save for future years. That's fine in the fifth round. Obviously a salary cap move to take a guy who's going to be in college for four seasons. Buffalo did that with quite a few players.

swimming

Jul 1, 2013
Whatever, you say. I still went to school with him. He's a hard working, soft spoken and nice guy. I watched him play and played on the team under his. He's a solid defender, great hands and great vision.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Do you think he will be in the Hockey Hall of Fame by 2050?

But seriously, if you do actually know him/have seen him play, give us a scouting report on him.

-Skating (acceleration, speed, etc.)
-Physicality
-Mentality (is he a leader, more of a follower, etc.)
-Is he better offensively or defensively?
-How much better than the competition was he?

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
Whatever, you say. I still went to school with him. He's a hard working, soft spoken and nice guy. I watched him play and played on the team under his. He's a solid defender, great hands and great vision.

No mean streak? How is his skating? Capable of moving the puck blue line to blue line? Outlet passing? How does he handle things when pressured with the puck on his stick? How is his positioning? How often does he get caught out of position? How is his stickwork? Does he clog passing/shooting lanes well? How much PP/PK time does he get? Can he QB a PP? How is his shot? Work ethic? Grades? Popular or not? Does he get distracted by women/friends/partying too much? How does he communicate to other players on the ice? Does he direct the defense positionally or just let his partner do what they want? Big frame/bones or small? Does he hit the weights at all? How is his cardio?

swimming

Jul 1, 2013
-Skating
His Acceleration was good, he wasn't the fastest player on the ice but he had a good top speed. He's not the fastest player on the ice but he has gotten taller in past years and his stride has gotten better from what I have heard.
-Physicality
He hits when he needs to, not a head hunter at all.
He is young, but he was always a follower/ leader by example. Soft spoken but really just a nice guy, he never let being good go to his head.
As you can tell from his points, he played more defensively at holderness, but this is because the team struggled with it's other defenders and forwards backchecking. H
So Holderness only plays a couple of good teams (KUA being one of them)
He was always better than everyone on the ice

He is smart defender, he is always in position and is a step ahead of his competition. He is a smart player who makes good solid plays. He has great soft hands and has a couple tricks up his sleeve. He is by no means a dangler, but he can see what needs to be done and get it done. He was too young to the league to lead PP at Holderness, but he did log time and his did do well. He was starting PK and he did well. He is the kind of player you want as your last defender. His shootout moves are also pretty slick (nothing that he could use in the NHL), but I think Philly has a solid draft pick in him. I don't know about hall of fame, but I think if T (his nickname) keeps improving as he did he will easily be a good 3rd line defenseman and maybe even better.

Capable of moving the puck blue line to blue line? Outlet passing?
How does he handle things when pressured with the puck on his stick?
How is his positioning? How often does he get caught out of position? How is his stickwork? Does he clog passing/shooting lanes well? How much PP/PK time does he get? Can he QB a PP? How is his shot? Work ethic? Grades? Popular or not? Does he get distracted by women/friends/partying too much? How does he communicate to other players on the ice? Does he direct the defense positionally or just let his partner do what they want? Big frame/bones or small? Does he hit the weights at all? How is his cardio?

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Thanks for the information.

Tell him that we're pumped to have him in the Flyers system. He's a long-shot, but hopefully he progresses well.

ronniebgood

Jul 3, 2013
Please dont get me wrong, I am happy for this young man, but someone please help me understand this. How does a kid from Holderness (nepsac) get drafted in the 5th round ( he most certainly would have been available in a later round as well) that really looks like his only experience on a below average prep team. I know the league pretty well and there are probably 1 -2 dozen dmen of the same or better skill set. is it size? is it contacts? is it luck of the draw? Like I said, I am by no means knocking the kid, just trying to understand the system.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Please dont get me wrong, I am happy for this young man, but someone please help me understand this. How does a kid from Holderness (nepsac) get drafted in the 5th round ( he most certainly would have been available in a later round as well) that really looks like his only experience on a below average prep team. I know the league pretty well and there are probably 1 -2 dozen dmen of the same or better skill set. is it size? is it contacts? is it luck of the draw? Like I said, I am by no means knocking the kid, just trying to understand the system.

In this specific instance, he said of himself that he had a late growth spurt and it could be indicative of beng overlooked by other leagues.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
-Skating
His Acceleration was good, he wasn't the fastest player on the ice but he had a good top speed. He's not the fastest player on the ice but he has gotten taller in past years and his stride has gotten better from what I have heard.
-Physicality
He hits when he needs to, not a head hunter at all.
He is young, but he was always a follower/ leader by example. Soft spoken but really just a nice guy, he never let being good go to his head.
As you can tell from his points, he played more defensively at holderness, but this is because the team struggled with it's other defenders and forwards backchecking. H
So Holderness only plays a couple of good teams (KUA being one of them)
He was always better than everyone on the ice

He is smart defender, he is always in position and is a step ahead of his competition. He is a smart player who makes good solid plays. He has great soft hands and has a couple tricks up his sleeve. He is by no means a dangler, but he can see what needs to be done and get it done. He was too young to the league to lead PP at Holderness, but he did log time and his did do well. He was starting PK and he did well. He is the kind of player you want as your last defender. His shootout moves are also pretty slick (nothing that he could use in the NHL), but I think Philly has a solid draft pick in him. I don't know about hall of fame, but I think if T (his nickname) keeps improving as he did he will easily be a good 3rd line defenseman and maybe even better.

Capable of moving the puck blue line to blue line? Outlet passing?
How does he handle things when pressured with the puck on his stick?
How is his positioning? How often does he get caught out of position? How is his stickwork? Does he clog passing/shooting lanes well? How much PP/PK time does he get? Can he QB a PP? How is his shot? Work ethic? Grades? Popular or not? Does he get distracted by women/friends/partying too much? How does he communicate to other players on the ice? Does he direct the defense positionally or just let his partner do what they want? Big frame/bones or small? Does he hit the weights at all? How is his cardio?

Thanks for the report.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

In the same article about Goulbourne, Pryor said they knew some other teams were in on him, trying to get him late, so they went 5 instead of 6.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
A friend of mine told me about him getting drafted today and I was in shock.

The kid played on my midget team 2 years ago and was one of are weakest players. He was already over 6`0 tall at that point and still had trouble.

I play in a beer league now with a former qmjhl, junior a, and junior aaa(quebec) players and we were gonna call him to play with us for 2 games but we decided not too because we did not think he was strong enough......now he gets drafter to the nhl a few months later.

I have not seen him play for over a year but I really dont think he could make any qmjhl team.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

The kid played on my midget team 2 years ago and was one of are weakest players. He was already over 6`0 tall at that point and still had trouble.

I play in a beer league now with a former qmjhl, junior a, and junior aaa(quebec) players and we were gonna call him to play with us for 2 games but we decided not too because we did not think he was strong enough......now he gets drafter to the nhl a few months later.

I have not seen him play for over a year but I really dont think he could make any qmjhl team.

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the guy, but something tells me that if he was good enough to get drafted, then he's probably good enough to play on your beer league team. You sound like a tool.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

I know plenty of people who have played with and against him, and it's my understanding that his game took some fairly large strides between his sophomore year and his junior year (last season).

USHR (a New England hockey journal) had this to say about him after the season he had:

Terrance Amorosa, D, Jr. (Holderness/uncommitted) 6-2/190 — The junior defender from Kirkland, Quebec has been flying under the radar this season, but that is no longer the case. Senior defenseman Phil Johansson is generally regarded as the team’s top prospect, but we like Amorosa more. The tall, slender defenseman is a fluid skater for a big kid and has a good stick. His game has come a long way in the last 12 months and we feel there is a good chance an NHL team will draft him with a late-round pick. D-I schools are very interested and we are told he has offers on the table.

So I believe what you're saying, but he may be quite a bit better than you remember.

That being said, I highly doubt he ever amounts to anything. And though he put up 26 points in 29 games, he wasn't dominant at the prep level and Holderness plays a terribly easy schedule. I'd say this pick was worse than Goulbourne, but nobody on here can really be outraged by it because they know very little about prep hockey. :laugh:

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
That being said, I highly doubt he ever amounts to anything. And though he put up 26 points in 29 games, he wasn't dominant at the prep level and Holderness plays a terribly easy schedule. I'd say this pick was worse than Goulbourne, but nobody on here can really be outraged by it because they know very little about prep hockey. :laugh:
And because Amorosa was a 5th round pick rather than a 3rd.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Interesting insight, but this year it seems he was completely under the radar to begin with, and as the season progressed people took more interest in him.

He had better figures in the 'USHS' than 3 other D men drafted in the 4th and 5th round from high school, namely Segalla, Kivihalme and Sherman... so not completely off the radar with comparative production points wise.

Btw, you ever play against Jonathan Drouin, being from that neck of the woods?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
And because Amorosa was a 5th round pick rather than a 3rd.

Right, but I really see no chance at all of Amorosa making any noise as a pro. He was a late 94 making him an older prep player, and his team's schedule is extremely forgiving, but he wasn't dominating prep school hockey.

Interesting insight, but this year it seems he was completely under the radar to begin with, and as the season progressed people took more interest in him.

He had better figures in the 'USHS' than 3 other D men drafted in the 4th and 5th round from high school, namely Segalla, Kivihalme and Sherman... so not completely off the radar with comparative production points wise.

Segalla played for Salisbury and Sherman played for Hotchkiss. Both play much, much more difficult schedules than Holderness. They might all be "New England Prep School", but, trust me, it's not all the same level of competition.

That being said, Sherman is equally questionable. I played against him this year and got to watch him many more times. He's big and he moves pretty well, but he's not dominant either which is what I expect from prep players that get drafted. Though, Hotchkiss was terrible this year, so Sherman had very little to work with.

Segalla I played once, and that was all I got to see of him, so I can't say too much about him.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the guy, but something tells me that if he was good enough to get drafted, then he's probably good enough to play on your beer league team. You sound like a tool.

thats the shock about it.

thats why I was shocked.

I dont understand how he can be the worst guy on my midget team to an nhl draftee in 2 years.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto

im older then doruin soo i never got to play with or against him but i have known about him for years as he was the best player in quebec for his age group along with duclair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad